LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

1 through 4

#1- Datone Jones DE, UCLA (Justin Smith like)

#2- John Cyprien S, Florida International (absolute monster with a brain. Very smart!)

#2- Margus Hunt DE, SMU (wanted 2 DE's drafted high. Very important we rotate with Ray Mac and Justin with quality)

#3- David Amerson CB, NC State (physical and athletic. Can cover big receivers. Good tackler.

#3- Da'Rick Rogers WR, Tennessee State (Hope he is here. Very explosive and strong. Excellent at blocking out defenders when going for the ball. Willing blocker)

#3- BW Webb CB, William and Mary (Small, but strong and attitudinal. Quick enough for slot coverage. Also a good tackler)

#4- Kwame Geathers NT Georgia (Our NT's play less than 1/3 of defensive snaps. Will tie up blockers and give plenty of push. No need to draft NT higher)
A. They don't have 3 3rd rounders....that 1st comp pick will likely be a 4th rounder

B. Amerson is not a CB, at least not at the NFL level.

C. Rogers definitely won't be around in the late 3rd round.
The problem with the theory of using a lesser draft choice on a NT because they don't play every down is that if your NT can't stuff the run the opponent will run the ball down your throat. So, I like your picks except that a backup to J Smith seems less valuable than a starting NT (ours being FAs). If I were sure they would sign Sopoaga then your list looks pretty good. I would love to see them draft some guys who might start or push starters right off the bat.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The problem with the theory of using a lesser draft choice on a NT because they don't play every down is that if your NT can't stuff the run the opponent will run the ball down your throat. So, I like your picks except that a backup to J Smith seems less valuable than a starting NT (ours being FAs). If I were sure they would sign Sopoaga then your list looks pretty good. I would love to see them draft some guys who might start or push starters right off the bat.

This, I don't think there's a more important position than NT for the 49ers to fill. People act like you can just throw in any random big guy and he'll do fine, but that simply isn't reality. NT like any other position requires a certain amount of skill, seeing as how its one of the few positions that requires a new starter, I would forgo Hunt for Brandon Williams. Or Cyprien for Jesse Williams and then take a safety at the tail end of the 2nd.

If you draft Datone Jones, drating Hunt is redundant. They could easily take a flyer on a small school DE like Chris Jones later on in the draft.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I would forgo Hunt for Brandon Williams.

This
[ Edited by drake49er on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM ]
I like it but how about this....

Instead of Amerson, Rogers, and Gethers... trade our late 2nd, both 3rds, and our 4th to Denver for the 28th overall pick. Then do this:

Pick 28: Zach Ertz, TE Stanford

Pick 31: Datone Jones, DE UCLA

Pick 34: John Cyprien S, Florida International

Now that's a draft that will address needs and make us a better team right now!
I think that Baalke is loaded and ready to trade in this draft. It will be a work of art to watch him do his thing.
Originally posted by blm7754:

Instead of Amerson, Rogers, and Gethers... trade our late 2nd, both 3rds, and our 4th to Denver for the 28th overall pick. Then do this:

If we let Delaney walk.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I think that Baalke is loaded and ready to trade in this draft. It will be a work of art to watch him do his thing.

I think you're right

The Niners did something similar to this year ago, they traded away all of their low picks and just draft Clark for TE, Edwards at FB and one other person, it was a bust of a draft. Numbers increase your odds to get good players.

I understand you want Ertz, so do I, jumping ahead of Atlanta is critical, so you could package pick 31 plus a 5th and 6th to move ahead to 28.

28 Ertz

34- Safety

Trade up in round 2 to secure Margus Hunt.

Now you have two potentially 3 third rounders to select KR, safety, NT. Center?

I doubt they go for that. But I like your thinking!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A. They don't have 3 3rd rounders....that 1st comp pick will likely be a 4th rounder

B. Amerson is not a CB, at least not at the NFL level.

C. Rogers definitely won't be around in the late 3rd round.

Actually it was speculated early on that we could receive a third round comp. Now it sounds like they are saying 4th rounder.

I actually had my mocks based on an optomistic 3rd round comp, but will have to adjust obviously once we see what comps we get, as now its being reported likely a 4th. But i do know early on the beat writers were reporting a likely third.
Let's trade out of all picks rounds 5-6 to move up for better picks.
Share 49ersWebzone