LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Geek's 2013 Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nice work, Geek.

Couple of question marks in my mind that haven't been addressed:

- Like the Otah signing as a potential solution, but shouldn't the Niners draft a swing OT in case he doesn't work out?
- is keeping Soap and Signing Sammie Lee Hill the right way to go from a cap standpoint or should the Niners draft two d lineman instead?

Your thoughts?

Well, Boone is basically our swing tackle, no? If Joe Staley goes down, Boone will switch to LT, and Leonard Davis would line up at RG.

Now instead of Davis, it would be Kilgore or Looney. And now we have one mammoth of an OT in Otah for our jumbo package. We also have Wiggins and Netter on the practice squad to compete with Otah. We may draft a guy in the late rounds or sign someone as a UDFA - but I rather see what Otah brings to the table.

I see what you are saying about the D-line. But Sopoaga is getting up there in age, and if his play declines, he could easily be cut next season. But based on the age of Smith and Sopoaga, I don't mind paying a premium to have that dominant rotational player on the defensive line. Plus, Hill will be getting groomed for a future starting position.
Thanks for the answer Geek. I appreciate your thought out response. I did not hit quote + because I do not want the thread to get two long.

Replies to the few that I still kind of disagree on.

1. QB.- I concur that Tolzien and Smith are not mobile qb's and that Harbaugh can adapt to the offensive philosphy. Smith is on his way out, so in my mind getting a back up that will eventually be a #2 in the "modified pistol" my made up terminology is paramount. Tolzien can still be the back up and play the opposing teams starting qb's on scout teams, but I would prefer an athletic qb like Josh johnson or the kid from K state in the 5th round to mentor.

2. Agree with the OLB call as I did not factor in the FA NT. A dominant OLB core to pair with a dominant ILB core is paramount. I also would like to see Larry Grant resinged at ILB if he can be had for a fair value. (pipe dream, but who knows).

3. RB- I had a brain fart on Jewel Hampton, you are right they do not need to draft a rb, an UDFA or a FA rb can be competition in campt.

4. WR- I like the fact that you are using lower draft picks on WR. It is amazing to me how many lower draft picks (T?Y HILton, tommy streeter) do well in the NFL.

5. I think comparing replacing adam Snyder a servicable guard to replacing a pro bowl center is beyond a little bit of a reach. The center makes the OL calls and having a rookie do that would be fine in a rebuilding year, but the Niners are posed for a run again in 2013, so lets keep the petal to the metal.!!!!! Maybe Goodwin would restructure to stay with the team??
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Otah's probably going to want the chance to start somewhere. Not sure he'll get that here.

Otah was out of the league this past year, went on IR each of the two years prior to 2012, and only started 12 games due to injury in his rookie season.

His days of a starter are clearly over.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Thanks for the answer Geek. I appreciate your thought out response. I did not hit quote + because I do not want the thread to get two long.

Replies to the few that I still kind of disagree on.

1. QB.- I concur that Tolzien and Smith are not mobile qb's and that Harbaugh can adapt to the offensive philosphy. Smith is on his way out, so in my mind getting a back up that will eventually be a #2 in the "modified pistol" my made up terminology is paramount. Tolzien can still be the back up and play the opposing teams starting qb's on scout teams, but I would prefer an athletic qb like Josh johnson or the kid from K state in the 5th round to mentor.

2. Agree with the OLB call as I did not factor in the FA NT. A dominant OLB core to pair with a dominant ILB core is paramount. I also would like to see Larry Grant resinged at ILB if he can be had for a fair value. (pipe dream, but who knows).

3. RB- I had a brain fart on Jewel Hampton, you are right they do not need to draft a rb, an UDFA or a FA rb can be competition in campt.

4. WR- I like the fact that you are using lower draft picks on WR. It is amazing to me how many lower draft picks (T?Y HILton, tommy streeter) do well in the NFL.

5. I think comparing replacing adam Snyder a servicable guard to replacing a pro bowl center is beyond a little bit of a reach. The center makes the OL calls and having a rookie do that would be fine in a rebuilding year, but the Niners are posed for a run again in 2013, so lets keep the petal to the metal.!!!!! Maybe Goodwin would restructure to stay with the team??

Again, loving this dialogue. Good responses.

1. Johnson would be cheaper to Hasselbeck, and I understand your logic there.

2. If the Chiefs stay in the 3-4 D, I think Grant goes there. He should be a starter in the league. Honestly, who wants to spend their careers behind Bowman and Willis?

3. Exactly!

4. Especially when we have Crabtree, Manningham, and the recently drafted Jenkins, it would be foolish to spend another 1st round pick on the position.

5. If we can restructure Goodwin, then I'm all for it. But I'd still draft Frederick to take over in 2014. Kilgore doesn't look ready.. We are going to have a big decision to make when Iupati and Davis's contracts are up - and I think we only sign one of them, and most likely Iupati. That means we'll need to kick Boone out to RT, and let Looney take over the RG position.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'm not sure if Hassleback will hang around the league to be a backup. With Tennessee he always had the opportunity to start and that's clearly not going to happen here. I'm not sure how much space will be available with your mock but I do think it would be nice if we have some cap space so we can get an extension of Iupati or Crabtree during the year next year.

We should have about 6M in cap space prior to the draft - so we could make something work for Crabtree or Iupati. I mean, we were tight this year and we still resigned Bowman.

You are right about Hasselbeck - it'll be tough for him to accept a role not to compete for a starting gig. But he's 37 years old turning 38 at the beginning of the new season.

The question for him though is does he want a starting job on a bad team or a backup gig for a super bowl contender - he doesn't have a ring, so it could be his last stand.
Nice Mock Plan GEEK, like the re-signings, maybe RJF over Sopoaga based on age. But everything is on par, I would say we should extend Whitner, and save some more cap room for possible extensions.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Nice Mock Plan GEEK, like the re-signings, maybe RJF over Sopoaga based on age. But everything is on par, I would say we should extend Whitner, and save some more cap room for possible extensions.

If we are going to talk extensions, I have been a long time proponent of locking up Crabtree and Manningham to extensions this off season b4 the NFL draft. If this happens the Niners have their number 1 and number 2 WR cemented in for 4-5 more seasons. Thus no more WR's in the first couple rounds of the draft for years....

Crabtree- #1
Manningham #2
Aj Jenkins- #4 or 5, try him at KR/PR anything to get production from him.
Needs
Speedster
Large body wr who can catch the ball possession Wr.
I love it. Fantastic job.

I love the Okafor and Frederick picks. Haralson and Goodwin are solid players but these two guys would be instant upgrades. I'd keep Goodwin and Let Frederick sit for a year then start him when Goodwin's deal is up. We have the money to keep him and Im not sold on starting a rookie at center. As for Okafor, Aldon Smith wore down big time down the stretch. Adding Okafor to rotate in would be great. Plus, if one of Brooks or Aldon went down we dont have one single player on the roster who can start for them. Fleming and Cam Johnson are nice depth/special teamers but they are not difference makers.

Patton is one of my favorite WR's in the draft. Love it.

You addressed the secondary with Swearinger and Hawthorne. Nice work.

I like Kelce as a #2 TE but I think Walker should be brought back as a H-back. We run the pistol and three TE sets so much both guys would get plenty of playing time.

And you got a kicker...might have to take him earlier but he is the best kicker in the draft.

I like Sammie Hill and Hasselback as backups. Nice work. Plus you added a 2014 3rd and pick from Alex Smith.
Oh and one more thing, I dont think Frederick will be available where you have us taking him. He looks to be a end of round 1, early round 2 guy.
I like some of this but overall I wouldnt be thrilled. I think the Niners need to move up - not down and get get a dominant DL in the draft. Taking an OLB and an interior OL with our first 2 picks is a headscratcher for me.

Nice job Geek I would rather move up and get a dominant DL player than move back but if this happen I wouldn't be upset about it....
[ Edited by 619Niner on Jan 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM ]
Gotta add that Baalke's draft history suggests that we go after our most glaring need in the first, and he may move up if necessary. In 2010, O-Line was the biggest need and we spend both first rounders on lineman. In 2011, we needed a pass rusher. In 2012, after starting Brett Swain in a playoff game, it was clear we needed a receiver. I think we are going NT or DE. But outside of that, the draft and roster moves looks really good.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Gotta add that Baalke's draft history suggests that we go after our most glaring need in the first, and he may move up if necessary. In 2010, O-Line was the biggest need and we spend both first rounders on lineman. In 2011, we needed a pass rusher. In 2012, after starting Brett Swain in a playoff game, it was clear we needed a receiver. I think we are going NT or DE. But outside of that, the draft and roster moves looks really good.

I wouldnt mind a scenario where the Niners used lower picks to move up twice and get Jesse Williams and Margus Hunt.. Add Chase Thomas as a pass rushing OLB in the 3rd and the Niners would dramatically improve the depth and future of that defense.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nice work, Geek.

Couple of question marks in my mind that haven't been addressed:

- Like the Otah signing as a potential solution, but shouldn't the Niners draft a swing OT in case he doesn't work out?
- is keeping Soap and Signing Sammie Lee Hill the right way to go from a cap standpoint or should the Niners draft two d lineman instead?

Your thoughts?

Well, Boone is basically our swing tackle, no? If Joe Staley goes down, Boone will switch to LT, and Leonard Davis would line up at RG.

Now instead of Davis, it would be Kilgore or Looney. And now we have one mammoth of an OT in Otah for our jumbo package. We also have Wiggins and Netter on the practice squad to compete with Otah. We may draft a guy in the late rounds or sign someone as a UDFA - but I rather see what Otah brings to the table.

I see what you are saying about the D-line. But Sopoaga is getting up there in age, and if his play declines, he could easily be cut next season. But based on the age of Smith and Sopoaga, I don't mind paying a premium to have that dominant rotational player on the defensive line. Plus, Hill will be getting groomed for a future starting position.

Looking forward, I think Boone is a potential Pro Bowler at RG and I would want a full time swing OT to backup Staley and Davis. Even though Boone is capable as an OT, I would rather he stays where he is. That is just a personal preference.
Share 49ersWebzone