LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

Mock Draft 1.0

1. Sharrif Floyd, 6-3, 303, DT, University of Florida-
He's really fast and physical. He can overpower O-lineman, or use his quickness to beat them. He's a very good all around lineman who can rotate in with Justin Smith and Ray Mcdonald and eventually replace Smith..

Trade up to the middle of the second round using our second round pick and our second pick in the third round
2a. Jordan Poyer, 6-0, 190, CB, Oregon State-
An extremely quick and physical cornerback that can cover the guys that have given us fits (Cruz, Amendola, Welker, even though Rogers played him well last Sunday). He can also be another guy that we throw into the punt returner competition because Ginn will be gone (hopefully)..

Trade up to the back end of the second round again using our third round pick from Carolina and our own fifth round pick
2b. Matt Elam, 5-10, 202, S, University of Florida-
He is another very fast and athletic defender who can cover receivers down field as well as lay the wood. In my opinion, he can play either safety position in this defense, which is a bonus if we rotate him in with either Goldson or Whitner..

(Compensatory Pick)
3. Brandon Jenkins, 6-3, 260, OLB, Florida State-
We can afford to take a chance on a guy who missed the entire 2012 season. He had 8 sacks in 2011 and 13.5 in 2010. Definitely can be a good rotational guy to have, as our pass rush has looked gassed at times, especially in the NE game.. Plus he wore number 49 ;)

Trade the Colts fifth round pick, the Dolphins sixth round pick, and a pick in next year's draft (maybe a 5th) for a pick in the top half of round 4
4a. Marcus Davis, 6-4, 232, WR, Virginia Tech-
Another Davis. A big, fast receiver who is a bit raw. Can sit the bench for a year or two and become a downfield threat that Randy was for us this year. Hopefully we can get Moss for one more year so he can learn from the best..

4b. Mario Benavides, 6-4, 300, C, Louisville-
He is a very good pass blocker as well as a run blocker. When playing North Carolina, he shut down Sylvester Williams. Can compete for the center job from day one with Kilgore, Looney, and Goodwin..
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM ]
6. Ryan Griffin, 6-6, 247, TE, UConn-
This guy is a beast who suffered from awful qb play. He bailed out the qb countless times, made leaping/diving catches, hurdled people, and was an all around playmaking tight end. He looks wider than what espn lists his weight at, but he is also a decent run blocker (seeing as he did that 75% of the time at UConn)..

7. Dustin Hopkins, 6-2, 190, K, Florida State-
See yah later Akers..

This is pretty much a dream draft. The first four picks were all defensive players because I think we need to start having some talented players rotate in through our defense that can eventually take over as starters. Also, there is an abundance of depth on offense (as evidenced by AJ Jenkins and Lamichael James)
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM ]
No Quinton Patton, no care.

But that's a very good looking mock draft
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

But he has Marcus Davis so I care.

No Quinton Patton or Marcus Davis no care
Originally posted by sfout:

But he has Marcus Davis so I care.

No Quinton Patton or Marcus Davis no care

I was actually considering both of them haha, but went with Davis because I feel he offers more to the team with his athletic ability. Patton's good, but doesn't offer anything much different than what we already have
Edit it, no team gets higher than a 3rd as comp picks, only rds 3-7 are given.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

That comp pick is for the third round, brandon jenkins.. But i'll edit it to make it clearer
Also I dont see Poyer falling out of top 40 picks, too talented of a CB.

I like Floyd in rd 1, I dont think right now a trade up is needed, I would rather sit still and pick BPA for a need, either NT or DE, or FS if we dont keep Goldson.

Rest of picks makes sense.
Originally posted by Cooper22:

That comp pick is for the third round, brandon jenkins.. But i'll edit it to make it clearer

I see what you did, my bad cooper22, I should of realized it better. I would love this mock.
I see what you did, my bad cooper22, I should of realized it better. I would love this mock.

Haha it's fine.. It was my first time posting a topic, so I didn't make it as clear as I could have

Also I dont see Poyer falling out of top 40 picks, too talented of a CB.

I like Floyd in rd 1, I dont think right now a trade up is needed, I would rather sit still and pick BPA for a need, either NT or DE, or FS if we dont keep Goldson.

Rest of picks makes sense.

Trufant is another possibility, really like him a lot, teams were ducking his side of the field pretty much all season.
I was actually considering both of them haha, but went with Davis because I feel he offers more to the team with his athletic ability. Patton's good, but doesn't offer anything much different than what we already have

I think size is overrated personally, if you look at the top WR's in football.....other than the obvious freaks such as Megatron and AJ Green who all get drafted super early, most of them are fairly average sized yet tend to have the ability to create separation against pretty much anyone. That to me is perhaps the biggest asset that Patton has. He uses his quickness, agility and football IQ to find ways to breakdown defensive backs and get open, no matter what. He's also shown terrific ability to go up and get the ball in the endzone. He's not a guy who's ever going to alligator arm the ball.

I do like the Benevides pick a lot. I think the 49ers are going to have to plan to continually draft and replace guys as there's no way they are going to be able to afford big contracts to every single one of their upcoming free agents over the next few years. I'd also like them to basically upgrade the offensive line through adding in guys who are good pass protectors, letting them develop and then making them starters to replace whomever....and so on and on.

Elam's a good selection but I really prefer Rambo. Like i said in the other thread, I think Rambo could be the Bowman of this draft. He's got absolutely undeniable first round talent but will take a tumble due to character issues...being caught with a joint....etc. Beyond that he's a great coverage guy, ball-hawk, hard hitter, aggressive when it comes to stopping the run. He's definitely my favorite safety prospect right now.

Poyer's a good pick if he's available there and if Hopkins is around in the 7th, that would be amazing, he's got a massively strong leg, I wouldn't be shocked to see the 49ers take a shot at him in the 6th even.
I think size is overrated personally, if you look at the top WR's in football.....other than the obvious freaks such as Megatron and AJ Green who all get drafted super early, most of them are fairly average sized yet tend to have the ability to create separation against pretty much anyone. That to me is perhaps the biggest asset that Patton has. He uses his quickness, agility and football IQ to find ways to breakdown defensive backs and get open, no matter what. He's also shown terrific ability to go up and get the ball in the endzone. He's not a guy who's ever going to alligator arm the ball.

I do like the Benevides pick a lot. I think the 49ers are going to have to plan to continually draft and replace guys as there's no way they are going to be able to afford big contracts to every single one of their upcoming free agents over the next few years. I'd also like them to basically upgrade the offensive line through adding in guys who are good pass protectors, letting them develop and then making them starters to replace whomever....and so on and on.

Elam's a good selection but I really prefer Rambo. Like i said in the other thread, I think Rambo could be the Bowman of this draft. He's got absolutely undeniable first round talent but will take a tumble due to character issues...being caught with a joint....etc. Beyond that he's a great coverage guy, ball-hawk, hard hitter, aggressive when it comes to stopping the run. He's definitely my favorite safety prospect right now.

Poyer's a good pick if he's available there and if Hopkins is around in the 7th, that would be amazing, he's got a massively strong leg, I wouldn't be shocked to see the 49ers take a shot at him in the 6th even.

Yeah, I think we agree on the types of players that we need. I really like Rambo too, but I think that Elam has that hybrid type physicality where he can play close to the line of scrimmage or out in open space. I'm not sure if we're going to have Goldson or Whitner (or both) long term, so this is why I preferred Elam over Rambo
Yeah, I think we agree on the types of players that we need. I really like Rambo too, but I think that Elam has that hybrid type physicality where he can play close to the line of scrimmage or out in open space. I'm not sure if we're going to have Goldson or Whitner (or both) long term, so this is why I preferred Elam over Rambo

Which is exactly what Rambo does as well, if you watch him play, the guy looks a lot like Goldson, he creeps up to handle the run but is very strong in coverage. Check out the Capital One Bowl if you get a chance, both those Georgia safeties are pretty damn impressive for the most part.
Which is exactly what Rambo does as well, if you watch him play, the guy looks a lot like Goldson, he creeps up to handle the run but is very strong in coverage. Check out the Capital One Bowl if you get a chance, both those Georgia safeties are pretty damn impressive for the most part.

Well it's good to know that this safety class is so deep. I'd be happy with either Elam or Rambo!
Share 49ersWebzone