29. San Francisco
*Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri 6-3 295

30. Chicago
Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina 6-3 310

31. Houston
*Bjoern Werner OLB Florida St 6-4 256

32. Atlanta
*Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame 6-5 252
How good is Sheldon Richardson and who does he compare to in NFL?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I have no idea who he compares to. He would be a good understudy for Justin Smith.

Here are some links.

"Despite often facing double-teams from Alabama center Barrett Jones, the reigning Outland Trophy winner and right guard Anthony Steen, Richardson recorded a game-high 14 tackles, including the sack of Tide quarterback A.J."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/20558570/weekly-rewind:-mizzou's-richardson-stars-while-wvu's-smith-stumbles

"Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson: He's now making news on the field after making his ill-advised "old-man football" comment prior to the Georgia game. Richardson is second on the team with 33 total tackles, including five tackles for loss, and also leads the team with six quarterback hurries. He's been as active as any interior defensive lineman in the league."

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/sheldon-richardson

"He has 57 tackles, which puts him two ahead of linebacker Will Ebner, a topic Richardson admits he discusses with Ebner even during games. And these aren't fall-on-the-pile tackles, either. He has 7½ tackles for loss and four sacks. The 295-pound junior has a knack for using his freaky quickness to burst into the backfield, but he's equally notable for hustling downfield to hit ballcarriers."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/nov/01/lineman-beyond-compare/

"Richardson has improved almost weekly since stepping into the starting lineup this season and was a one-man wrecking crew against Central Florida. His 9 tackles were impressive as Richardson also forced a fumble, recorded one sack and posted two quarterback hurries. He's an athletic prospect who commands double teams and either makes a play on the ball or creates opportunities for his teammates. Richardson is not a household name yet, but highly regarded in the scouting community." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/09/29/week-five-risers-sliders-sheldon-richardson/index.html#ixzz2BT3jnRmo

"Richardson has been a force in America's premier college football conference; leading the Tigers with 57 tackles, which is tops among all SEC interior linemen. Those statistics come as no surprise to coach Gary Pinkel.

"He plays hard, and with a great athlete, that's what happens," Pinkel said.

Supremely athletic for someone weighing just a tad less than 300 pounds, Richardson runs a 4.7 40-yard dash. That speed and agility, combined with taking effective pursuit angles, has allowed him to track down opposing ball carriers 20 yards down the field as well as from sideline-to-sideline. Kuligowski said Richardson could play linebacker if needed."

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2012/11/2/sheldon-richardson-confidently-stepping-elite-stat/

No real complaints, except Barley is highly overrated IMO, and Werner is way way too low.

I haven't seem much of Sheldon Richardson, so I won't coment on that, but if he can bring depth, I am all for it.
Thanks Buck!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
No real complaints, except Barley is highly overrated IMO, and Werner is way way too low.

I haven't seem much of Sheldon Richardson, so I won't coment on that, but if he can bring depth, I am all for it.

You might be right about Barkley, but I think he will be one of the four quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

In my opinion, Werner is somewhat overrated. He got 6.5 of his 12.5 tackles for a loss and 5 of his 8 sacks against Savannah St (1-8) and Murray St (4-5). Werner has a good upside; he is still learning the game. Actually, I could see him easily drop into the 2nd round.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Not bad but my qualms are as follows.....

Is the Cinncy selection BPA? Because a cursory looks tells me they dont need a WR but need help on defense, particularly safety and corner.

Also not sure why the Bills take a Tackle when they are one of the best OLs in the league and both of their tackles are young, I'd buy it it was Guard or if this player was intended to switch to G as the interior of the line is the weaker of the group.

I dont think Philly would use a 1st on a QB, especially with the report that GM Roseman inked a new deal earlier in the year. Even if Reid gets fired they will probably roll with Nick Foles and get him more weapons / better protection.

I know there is nothing but hype right now but Te'o falling all the way to 23rd? Thats very unlikely, he's pretty much the best ILB since Willis - I'd have to think a team would take him as BPA or if this situation involved trades that someone would trade up by the time he fell to 15.

I do love the Richardson pick though, he's the popular pick among the pundits so far and it actually makes sense for us.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
You might be right about Barkley, but I think he will be one of the four quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

In my opinion, Werner is somewhat overrated. He got 6.5 of his 12.5 tackles for a loss and 5 of his 8 sacks against Savannah St (1-8) and Murray St (4-5). Werner has a good upside; he is still learning the game. Actually, I could see him easily drop into the 2nd round.

If you have watched him play all year, it isn't just hype and being overrated. He has given every team trouble to the point that they hold him on almost every play. The ACC refs are so terrible that people are calling for all of the Refs to be fired and replaced.

With that said, I don't really have an issue with where you have him. I think he is mid 1st to late 1st. I highly doubt he will drop out of the 1st.
All in all...I like our pick and I think you did well. I think by the end of the season, FSU's Tank Carradine will also be a projected 1st RND Pick.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Not bad but my qualms are as follows.....

Is the Cinncy selection BPA? Because a cursory looks tells me they dont need a WR but need help on defense, particularly safety and corner.

Also not sure why the Bills take a Tackle when they are one of the best OLs in the league and both of their tackles are young, I'd buy it it was Guard or if this player was intended to switch to G as the interior of the line is the weaker of the group.

I dont think Philly would use a 1st on a QB, especially with the report that GM Roseman inked a new deal earlier in the year. Even if Reid gets fired they will probably roll with Nick Foles and get him more weapons / better protection.

I know there is nothing but hype right now but Te'o falling all the way to 23rd? Thats very unlikely, he's pretty much the best ILB since Willis - I'd have to think a team would take him as BPA or if this situation involved trades that someone would trade up by the time he fell to 15.

I do love the Richardson pick though, he's the popular pick among the pundits so far and it actually makes sense for us.

Good questions.

The Bengals need defensive help, but I think they first look for a solid compliment for A.J. Green.
They could go for a DB and DT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

More than likely you are right about Te'o being drafted earlier.

I need to rethink the Bills pick.

The Eagles are going to have a new coach, and they have to rebuild the team.
I tend to think you select your quarterback and look for the protection and weapons later in the draft.
EJ Manuel is completing 70% of his passes, averages 10.1 yards an attempt, has 16 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions.
But, the Eagles have so many problems, they could go offensive line and defense in this draft.

Jacksonville taking 2 qbs 2 out of 3 years or Lions drafting WR with first pick 3 years str8. Don't know witch is more likely but one has already been done.
1. Kansas City
Geno Smith QB West Virginia 6-3 220

2. Jacksonville
Matt Barkley QB Southern California 6-2 230

3. Cleveland
*Sam Montgomery DE LSU 6-5 260

4. Carolina
*Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M 6-6 310

5. St. Louis (Wash)
*Taylor Lewan OT Michigan 6-7 310

6. Tennessee
*Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M 6-4 250

7. Cincinnati
*Justin Hunter WR Tennessee 6-4 200

8. Oakland
*Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio St 6-3 320

9. Buffalo
*Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M 6-5 305

10. Philadelphia
EJ Manuel QB Florida St 6-4 240

11. NY Jets
*Tyler Bray QB Tennessee 6-5 215

12. Dallas
*Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU 6-4 240

13. New Orleans
Star Lotulelei DT Utah 6-3 320

14. St. Louis
*Robert Woods WR Southern California 6-1 190

15. Arizona
Chance Warmack OG Alabama 6-2 322

16. San Diego
*Dee Milliner CB Alabama 6-1 198

17. Miami
*Keenan Allen WR California 6-3 210

18. Tampa Bay
Johnathan Banks CB Mississippi St 6-1 185

19. Detroit
*Xavier Rhodes CB Florida St 6-1 217

20. Minnesota
Terrance Williams WR Baylor 6-2 205

21. Seattle
*Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee 6-3 205

22. Pittsburgh
John Jenkins DT Georgia 6-3 358

23. Denver
Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame 6-2 255

24. Indianapolis
Jesse Williams DT Alabama 6-3 320

25. New England
*Eric Reid FS LSU 6-2 212

26. NY Giants
Barrett Jones OG Alabama 6-4 305

27. Green Bay
*Eddie Lacy RB Alabama 5-10 220

28. Baltimore
*Kevin Minter ILB LSU 6-1 245

29. San Francisco
*Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri 6-3 295

30. Chicago
Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina 6-3 310

31. Houston
*Bjoern Werner OLB Florida St 6-4 256

32. Atlanta
*Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame 6-5 252

I cant see Oakland not drafting a CB.
After that game against the saints, I cant imagine Philly not getting some O-line help. PLus they have Foles, so theyre not going QB.
Arizona will have a hard decision but I think I agree with the O-line pick.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I have no idea who he compares to. He would be a good understudy for Justin Smith.

Here are some links.

"Despite often facing double-teams from Alabama center Barrett Jones, the reigning Outland Trophy winner and right guard Anthony Steen, Richardson recorded a game-high 14 tackles, including the sack of Tide quarterback A.J."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/20558570/weekly-rewind:-mizzou's-richardson-stars-while-wvu's-smith-stumbles

"Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson: He's now making news on the field after making his ill-advised "old-man football" comment prior to the Georgia game. Richardson is second on the team with 33 total tackles, including five tackles for loss, and also leads the team with six quarterback hurries. He's been as active as any interior defensive lineman in the league."

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/sheldon-richardson

"He has 57 tackles, which puts him two ahead of linebacker Will Ebner, a topic Richardson admits he discusses with Ebner even during games. And these aren't fall-on-the-pile tackles, either. He has 7½ tackles for loss and four sacks. The 295-pound junior has a knack for using his freaky quickness to burst into the backfield, but he's equally notable for hustling downfield to hit ballcarriers."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/nov/01/lineman-beyond-compare/

"Richardson has improved almost weekly since stepping into the starting lineup this season and was a one-man wrecking crew against Central Florida. His 9 tackles were impressive as Richardson also forced a fumble, recorded one sack and posted two quarterback hurries. He's an athletic prospect who commands double teams and either makes a play on the ball or creates opportunities for his teammates. Richardson is not a household name yet, but highly regarded in the scouting community." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/09/29/week-five-risers-sliders-sheldon-richardson/index.html#ixzz2BT3jnRmo

"Richardson has been a force in America's premier college football conference; leading the Tigers with 57 tackles, which is tops among all SEC interior linemen. Those statistics come as no surprise to coach Gary Pinkel.

"He plays hard, and with a great athlete, that's what happens," Pinkel said.

Supremely athletic for someone weighing just a tad less than 300 pounds, Richardson runs a 4.7 40-yard dash. That speed and agility, combined with taking effective pursuit angles, has allowed him to track down opposing ball carriers 20 yards down the field as well as from sideline-to-sideline. Kuligowski said Richardson could play linebacker if needed."

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2012/11/2/sheldon-richardson-confidently-stepping-elite-stat/

why is he just now steping into the starting lineup this season?
Nice work at this early stage.

Unless things turn around quickly, this could be one of the weakest drafts I can recall in my twenty plus years of analyzing talent entering the NFL. If this draft has twenty first round grades, I would be shocked.

I can tell Minter is dinged up right now. His explosiveness is shot. Hopefully, a healthy offseason can give him a shot to show what an outstanding prospect he might be at the next level.

Not sure there is a better player in the draft over Luke Joeckel. Could end up going as early as number two overall. Barkley's height measurable and campus workout (looking at arm strength) is going to be monsterous. Could push him up or down the board.

If Jarvis Jones comes out, he is a top 10 pick. His explosiveness is pretty spectacular. Just needs to keep his weight up and head on straight.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]
Jarvis Jones may be best player in the entire 2013 Draft. IMO
Share 49ersWebzone