There are 209 users in the forums

Mid Season First Round Projection

Geno Smith has fallen off a lot and I think he has more bust potential than Barkley.
Te'o is way too low. He's top 10.
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
I think we are at the point where can go bpa with our 1st 5 picks bcause all we are actually lacking is depth. I would love to have these players.
Alex Okafor 6'4 265 pass rusher Texas
Khaled Holmes 6'4 305 center USC
Margus Hunt 6'8 280 DT SMU
Marcus Davis 6'4 232 WR 4.45sp VT
Kwame Geathers 6'6 350 NT Georgia

Really like Davis & Geathers for the 49ers.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Got bored today so I made a mock draft based on rankings from NFLdraftscout.com. Didn't feel the need to make a new thread so I'm posting it in here.

1. Ezekiel Ansah OLB BYU
Very raw player to sit behind Smith and Brooks while hopefully providing the 49ers a 3rd edge rusher. The 49ers are loaded and can afford to make "luxury" picks.

2. Kenny Vaccaro FS Texas
Aggressive safety to sit behind Goldson for a year and possibly take over for him in his second year since Goldson will likely be back on the franchise tag.

3. Kyle Long OL Oregon
Ever heard the sky is the limit? That's Kyle Long. The 49ers would be wise to add a lot of depth to the unit that makes things go on offense.

3. Kiko Alonzo ILB Oregon
He'd be competing for the #3 ILB spot with the impending departure of Larry Grant. If the 49ers are not able to hold onto Bowman he could be a future replacement.

4. Margus Hunt DE SMU
Super athletic and raw lineman to develop behind Justin Smith. 6-7 280 means he needs to put on about 20 pounds to hold up as a 3-4 DE.

5. Philip Thomas SS Fresno State
I think he goes way sooner than this but he has some medical red flags and is a 5th year senior. He's a baller and would possibly take over for Whitner in his second year.

5. Marcus Davis WR Virginia Tech
Big athlete at WR. Let him compete with Mellette to make the roster.

6. Aaron Mellette WR Elon
Productive small school guy who is similar physically to Marcus Davis.

6. Devin Taylor DE/OLB South Carolina
He hasn't produced but physically it's all there. Let him compete with Fleming and Johnson for the 4th spot at OLB. He's big so DE could be a possibility as well.

7. Brandon McGee CB Miami(FL)
Highly touted recruit out of high school that never lived up to the hype. For a 7th I would give him a tryout.

7. T.J. Barnes NT Georgia Tech
6-6 350 could be out of the league quickly but could also be a diamond in the rough. One of Sopoaga and Jean-Francois will be gone next year, Barnes would be competing for the practice squad.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
NT might be moving up the list if we think of RJF as a DE. Also, depends on how highly we feel of Ian Williams. Other than that the thinking hasn't changed much. I'd tag Goldson so DE, CB, OLB, C are possible 1st round needs. Then 2nd and the 2 3rds would be a combo of those not taken in the 1st or possibly a big tall physical WR, 2nd TE or 3rd T.

Possible needs include DE, CB, OLB, NT, C, 3rd T, 2nd TE, WR and late in the draft Backup ILB, Backup S and power RB (all 3 would have to play ST)

With Brooks and Aldon Smith on the team, I find it hard to think we would draft an OLB in the first round.

I agree with your point about RJF. He has played at both NT and DE.

Maybe this is a year to just take the best available player without much regards to immediate need.
This year is loaded with 3-4 prospects. This may be the best defensive draft in the last decade. That is saying a lot given the 2011 draft.
I think we will take the best player available. Look at the Texans: they drafted Whitney Mercilus with Barwin and Cushing on the roster. Yes Barwin could be a free agent this year, but developing players and giving the staters rest is important.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
NT might be moving up the list if we think of RJF as a DE. Also, depends on how highly we feel of Ian Williams. Other than that the thinking hasn't changed much. I'd tag Goldson so DE, CB, OLB, C are possible 1st round needs. Then 2nd and the 2 3rds would be a combo of those not taken in the 1st or possibly a big tall physical WR, 2nd TE or 3rd T.

Possible needs include DE, CB, OLB, NT, C, 3rd T, 2nd TE, WR and late in the draft Backup ILB, Backup S and power RB (all 3 would have to play ST)

With Brooks and Aldon Smith on the team, I find it hard to think we would draft an OLB in the first round.

I agree with your point about RJF. He has played at both NT and DE.

Maybe this is a year to just take the best available player without much regards to immediate need.
This year is loaded with 3-4 prospects. This may be the best defensive draft in the last decade. That is saying a lot given the 2011 draft.
I think we will take the best player available. Look at the Texans: they drafted Whitney Mercilus with Barwin and Cushing on the roster. Yes Barwin could be a free agent this year, but developing players and giving the staters rest is important.

There is no doubt that we could use another OLB.

Your point makes sense.
You might be right about Barkley, but I think he will be one of the four quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

In my opinion, Werner is somewhat overrated. He got 6.5 of his 12.5 tackles for a loss and 5 of his 8 sacks against Savannah St (1-8) and Murray St (4-5). Werner has a good upside; he is still learning the game. Actually, I could see him easily drop into the 2nd round.

Buck...u watching the FSU-uf game? Werner says "U Mad?"
Originally posted by DVDA:
Got bored today so I made a mock draft based on rankings from NFLdraftscout.com. Didn't feel the need to make a new thread so I'm posting it in here.

1. Ezekiel Ansah OLB BYU
Very raw player to sit behind Smith and Brooks while hopefully providing the 49ers a 3rd edge rusher. The 49ers are loaded and can afford to make "luxury" picks.

2. Kenny Vaccaro FS Texas
Aggressive safety to sit behind Goldson for a year and possibly take over for him in his second year since Goldson will likely be back on the franchise tag.

3. Kyle Long OL Oregon
Ever heard the sky is the limit? That's Kyle Long. The 49ers would be wise to add a lot of depth to the unit that makes things go on offense.

3. Kiko Alonzo ILB Oregon
He'd be competing for the #3 ILB spot with the impending departure of Larry Grant. If the 49ers are not able to hold onto Bowman he could be a future replacement.

4. Margus Hunt DE SMU
Super athletic and raw lineman to develop behind Justin Smith. 6-7 280 means he needs to put on about 20 pounds to hold up as a 3-4 DE.

5. Philip Thomas SS Fresno State
I think he goes way sooner than this but he has some medical red flags and is a 5th year senior. He's a baller and would possibly take over for Whitner in his second year.

5. Marcus Davis WR Virginia Tech
Big athlete at WR. Let him compete with Mellette to make the roster.

6. Aaron Mellette WR Elon
Productive small school guy who is similar physically to Marcus Davis.

6. Devin Taylor DE/OLB South Carolina
He hasn't produced but physically it's all there. Let him compete with Fleming and Johnson for the 4th spot at OLB. He's big so DE could be a possibility as well.

7. Brandon McGee CB Miami(FL)
Highly touted recruit out of high school that never lived up to the hype. For a 7th I would give him a tryout.

7. T.J. Barnes NT Georgia Tech
6-6 350 could be out of the league quickly but could also be a diamond in the rough. One of Sopoaga and Jean-Francois will be gone next year, Barnes would be competing for the practice squad.

My concern is Vaccaro is too low on those rankings, he is a top 35 pick to me anyway.

Also need a NT badly, doubt Sopoaga is brought back. I like getting a solid DE in Hunt.
matt barkley at #2??? I cant see that happening. I cant even see barkley within the top 15.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My concern is Vaccaro is too low on those rankings, he is a top 35 pick to me anyway.

Also need a NT badly, doubt Sopoaga is brought back. I like getting a solid DE in Hunt.

I agree about Vaccaro, I was just bored and went with their rankings since it's 1st to 7th round with UDFA as well. I want Vaccaro in the first pretty badly, he plays just like Goldson and Whitner.

I don't think the 49ers need a nose tackle that badly since Sopoaga has played about half of the 49ers snaps this year. I think Jean Francois would do just fine moving to a starting role with Williams backing him up.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by drake49er:
Buck...u watching the FSU-uf game? Werner says "U Mad?"

I rescind my comment.

Wener, sorry it clearly appears that I was wrong.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Geno Smith has fallen off a lot and I think he has more bust potential than Barkley.
Te'o is way too low. He's top 10.

Smith is dropping. Barkley is dropping. EJ Manuel is dropping.

Which quarterback, if any quarterback, is going to be worth an early first round pick?
Share 49ersWebzone