LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 409 users in the forums

Geno Smith QB West Virginia Mountaineers

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Geno Smith this season: 141-for-169, 1,728 yards, 20 TDs and 0 INT
He did loom impressive but he had like 10 secs to throw all game
Lets see him do this vs a team who has a defense

Btw can I apply for Baylor defensive coordinator? I'm pretty sure I can hold a team to under 60 points on a regular basis
Good college guy...not sure if he'll succeed in the NFL.
That guy is unreal. I can't believe he is this good.
what happened to the defense......?
I'm thinking I might take up an offer I had to go see WVU-UT play here in Austin. Would be interesting to see Geno play.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Good college guy...not sure if he'll succeed in the NFL.

I am very interested in how he will transition to the NFL. I think a team would have to do exactly what they did with RG3, design the offense around him.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

will suck in the NFL

but ill admit i know nothing about him nor have I ever watched him play.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

WVU plays incredibly safe and lets Smith make the throws he wants. They have WRs that can turn simply slants into 80 yard TDs which has happened on multiple occasions this season.

Its a bit of a gimmicky offense but no where as bad as the true Pistol offense or Oregon's spread option. Smith has a shot to be great in the NFL but I'd say he needs the Kaepernick treatment to do so.
He will be on our big board for sure

just because of his last name

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
WVU plays incredibly safe and lets Smith make the throws he wants. They have WRs that can turn simply slants into 80 yard TDs which has happened on multiple occasions this season.

Its a bit of a gimmicky offense but no where as bad as the true Pistol offense or Oregon's spread option. Smith has a shot to be great in the NFL but I'd say he needs the Kaepernick treatment to do so.

Newton and RGIII both played in what you would consider "gimmicky" offenses in college, started right away and seem to be doing just fine in the pros.

He plays in the same offense that turned Brandon Weeden into a 1st round pick. Just saying.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

How Geno Smith celebrated his record-setting day & the TD pass that had WVU staff buzzing. My story: http://bit.ly/QfoUpG
Originally posted by Travisty13:

He plays in the same offense that turned Brandon Weeden into a 1st round pick. Just saying.

I was just goin to say this. Exact same offense.

We're not going to be in a position to draft him, but a guys like Tavon Austin would provide us a Percy Harvin type guy to use, might be better than Havin.
[ Edited by boomer49er on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:
I was just goin to say this. Exact same offense.

We're not going to be in a position to draft him, but a guys like Tavon Austin would provide us a Percy Harvin type guy to use, might be better than Havin.

We are getting a tad off topic but I think Travon Austin is more Darren Sproles then Percy Harvin. Sproles is 5'6" 190lbs Austin is 5'9" (probably closer to 5'8" when he gets his official measurement) 176lbs. His small size will probably cause him to drop a little bit in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone