LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis for 2012 NFL Draft

MD, I don't agree with your grades and that's ok. It takes some grit to put an honest assessment out there because there are always folks who will attack rather than try to write one theirself. If you enjoy doing it, keep doing it.

Everyone else, if you don't agree, state that and why. Don't attack the poster, debate the idea.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Mad Dog, it takes two to tango when making trades. Do you know for a fact that the Niners had willing partners on the other end of the phone to go and get DeCastro? Do you know for a fact that the Niners didn't try to move up?

You put a lot of effort into your evaluation and I respect the effort. I look forward to seeing your boards and lists because they are comprehensive and well thought out. Still, giving the Jenkins pick an F grade while giving the three trade down picks that are still anonymous an A grade seems a little unrealistic.

RE: the James pick, I am still dubious of his effectiveness on the Candlestick turf, but the Niners don't always play at home and Harbaugh is all about the competition. He is a definite "wait and see" pick.

My guess is that either the Browns, Lions or Steelers were willing to move down. Before the draft, it was reported that nearly every team in the first round was looking to move down from their choice. Now, that may have changed during the draft, but I would be willing to believe that one of these team would have made that deal. Most teams are.

The way the draft unfolded, I think the Browns would have been the only team to make the trade at that point. No one else wanted Weeden apparently so they could have moved back for the right deal. The Lions and Steelers both had serious needs for offensive line help and Rieff and DeCastro were both about to fall in their laps. They were both the fortunate winners of the pick fills need contest. One thing is for certain, the Niners feel very confident that the guys they already have on the roster can do the job.
I honestly don't know why people have a problem with Maddog49er's assessment of the 49ers draft. Why?

1. Before the draft, it was near consensus here that the 49ers needed a talented G/C early. This was not addressed in the draft.
2. The 49ers didn't need a RB. This was a luxury pick that the 49ers made instead of focusing on an impact G/C early in the draft. Also, is a 3rd down back who's not a natural pass catcher REALLY going to be our Darren Sproles?
3. I don't think any mock draft by any 'zoner had Jenkins going that early...it would appear ppl are attempting to rationalize the decision after the fact.

It would seem the 49ers draft was in violation of the 'zoners consensus which was the need for a G/C early in the draft. They violated this prediction with a WR many would consider to be a reach. I have no problem with an initial grade of C+ for this year and I hope MD is wrong....
Grading a draft, has a presumption you know at least as much or more than who you are grading (teacher/pupil).

And every grading I have seen is just outlet of frustration for Grader's who's own mock was very wrong.
Grading a draft is very subjective and depends on our perceptions of team needs and player values. While I disagree with Maddogs first two assessments it is a philosophical issue--I perceive that the 9ers saw their biggest need to be impact players for the offense. Jenkins is more NFL ready than many and fills a need only Williams comes close to filling and James is probably the most explosive player in the draft, on STs and offense.

So, while I really felt they needed interior linemen, they evidently did not agree, and a grade should not necessarily be based on my disappointment. But I don't blame anyone for sticking to their guns and grading accordingly.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Warnings are being handed out, bannings will follow soon so knock it off.

What happened?

Rule breaking, namely attacking maddog and breaking rule 1

Ok, I didn't though right? I only disagreed, didn't attack.
lulz hard

as for jenkins and james... both were extremely productive, both were high on harbaalke's list... who am i to bet against this combination?

SPEED KILLS
[ Edited by zugschef on Apr 30, 2012 at 6:52 AM ]
Yeah, not a big fan of this draft. I will have to wait and see, but I'm not even remotely excited about LMJ and Jenkins, I hope they are better than they look. LMJ is poor receiver, and catching passes is kinda key for scat backs. Jenkins, I think could have been had in the 2nd, or a similar play could have been found. I would have rather seen Fleener, best available WR, then Turbin. in that. order, they were there could wound shoulda...Gotta just trust in the fact that JH and TB know waaaaaay more than I do! The rest of the draft was great Love all the late picks. Can't wait to be wrong about this!
Did you think Whitner was too short when we signed him? He's 5-10...a little heavier at 208. I think Robinson's a great pick at #6. His SI.com draft score was 2.69, outstanding for the 6th rd. I'm sure many told Whitner he was too small, too...seems like he's worked out pretty well, and I trust Robinson will, too.

As for Jenkins, it's almost comical some think he won't be productive 'til his 3rd season. Given Moss is on a 1 yr contract, and Manningham 2 yrs, it seems Harbaugh would definitely use A.J. much sooner than that.

James is a dynamo...Harbaugh saw first-hand what he can do. I trust his judgement and imagination on offense to use him consistently and in unique ways.

Looney's just what we need at RG...those advocating we should've taken DeCastro or some other OG seem to forget Baalke has patience to take a good player later in the draft, which equals greater value. JL would've gone sooner, but a broken foot scared some teams and he dropped to 4th rd where TB traded up to get him at minimum draft pick cost.

REally like the Slowey pick, too. Seems like a warrior who's made himself into a good football player...Harbaugh's kind of guy, for sure. Our OL's in good shape for years to come.

Just watch Cam Johnson develop under Fangio and LB Coach Leavitt's tutelage. A real steal in 7th rd...Mike Mayock had him as #50 on his top 100 player list.
Did you think Whitner was too short when we signed him? He's 5-10...a little heavier at 208. I think Robinson's a great pick at #6. His SI.com draft score was 2.69, outstanding for the 6th rd. I'm sure many told Whitner he was too small, too...seems like he's worked out pretty well, and I trust Robinson will, too.

As for Jenkins, it's almost comical some think he won't be productive 'til his 3rd season. Given Moss is on a 1 yr contract, and Manningham 2 yrs, it seems Harbaugh would definitely use A.J. much sooner than that.

James is a dynamo...Harbaugh saw first-hand what he can do. I trust his judgement and imagination on offense to use him consistently and in unique ways.

Looney's just what we need at RG...those advocating we should've taken DeCastro or some other OG seem to forget Baalke has patience to take a good player later in the draft, which equals greater value. JL would've gone sooner, but a broken foot scared some teams and he dropped to 4th rd where TB traded up to get him at minimum draft pick cost.

REally like the Slowey pick, too. Seems like a warrior who's made himself into a good football player...Harbaugh's kind of guy, for sure. Our OL's in good shape for years to come.

Just watch Cam Johnson develop under Fangio and LB Coach Leavitt's tutelage. A real steal in 7th rd...Mike Mayock had him as #50 on his top 100 player list.
Sorry, didn't get initial acknowledgement of 1st post.

Dude, I read the first paragraph and knew there was something wrong with you. I feel bad that you wasted your time with this rubbish. Lets just say for fun that Alex cant get this guy the ball. Kaepernick is the QB of the future. Should we just sit on our hands? We need strong talent. Whats wrong with you?!
  • buck
  • Veteran
I commented on your analysis of AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, and Joe Looney in an earlier post, but I did not give my tentative grades for those picks.

You had an F overall for AJ Jenkins pick. I give the pick a B+--a full point higher than your mark for him as a player. Unlike you, I really believe wide receiver was our major need and that trading up for DeCastro, and losing Jenkins would have been an error for this team at this time.

But, if we had traded up for DeCastro using future picks, thus getting both Castro and Jenkins, this draft would have been off the charts--a 13.5 on the Richter Scale.

You gave the LaMichael James pick a D grade. I do find the pick a bit perplexing, but he is with no doubt a quality explosive player. I do have some doubts, but I give the pick a grade of B.

"Round 5- Darius Fleming- Good football player that is athletic, quick, and productive. Not sure how he fits on our team. I speculate the team will shift him inside to ILB, and he will compete for the primary backup role under Bowman. He provides some insurance in case Bowman does not re-sign with the team in the future. The team had greater needs, and there were better players on the board, so this is a head scratcher to me. Grade: D"

In his four years at Norte Dame, Fleming he 14.5 sacks, 32 tackles for a loss, 20 quarterback hurries and 157 tackles. He also had 7 passes broken up and 2 interceptions. Not great numbers, but he does seem to have a well-rounded game. He should become a decent back-up at inside. Tentatively, I would give the pick a C/C- grade. Fleming ran a 4.77 at the Combine. He ran a 4.58 at his pro day. If his true speed is closer to the latter, I would raise his grade to a C+.

"Round 6- Trent Robinson, Michigan State, FS- Home Run. The Niners get a steal in the 6th with a guy I had a late 3rd round grade. One of the best FS prospects in this draft, Robinson can run with WR's, and is not afraid to tackle. Productive, experienced, and solid instincts. Really outstanding pick.Grade: A"

Robinson was a three year starter at Michigan St. In those three years, he had 9 interceptions, 12 pass broken up and 223 tackles. He has decent to good speed. Good character. Grade: B

"Round 6- Jason Slowey- Another terrific pick from small school Western Oregon. Slowey adds a lot of versatility in this draft, as we will be able to play all three interior line positions, and in an emergency, play tackle. Athletic, tough, and raw. Has much more upside than Looney, and Slowey was on a list of six small school guys I predicted the team would select. Brilliant play for a sixth rounder. Grade: A"

I basically concur with your comments. His ability to play different positions adds to his value, but I think your grade is a bit high.

Grade: B+

"Round 7- Cam Johnson- Edge OLB rusher, Virginia. Johnson is an enigma. Great athletic ability, played in a 3-4 system, has tremendous upside, and is a terrible underachiever. Lacks passion for the game, should be more productive and dominant. Guy with character flaws. However, you are getting second-third round talent in the 7th round, and if he can get his head on straight, becomes a terrific value pick. Could be starting material on another 3-4 team. Grade: A"

Johnson has talent, but medical issues do create doubts. He off and on motor could well be caused by his sickle cell trait. He played both defensive end and OLB. As a three year starter he accumulated 12 sacks, 30 tackles for a loss and 123 tackles. Good chance to become back-up at OLB. Combined with the Fleming pick, the team built its depth at linebacker. Grade: B

Final Draft Grade: B
Just wanna say again MD, I appreciate the effort you put in. Whether other posters and I agree or disagree is irrelevant. The fact is no other poster brings as much "gravitas" in his posts to spur great debates. Even though they get heated at times , its all in the spirit of cheering for the niners and wanting what we think is best.

Though we often dont agree, the respect is there even when it's for "grumpy puppy"

Other posters just gotta remember its just one man's opinion, but that it is a well researched and formulated opinion. No reason to get personal, or go further than witty remarks and comebacks.
I don't do mock drafts, instead choosing to focus on our needs. OL ,OG in particular, was of paramount importance. CW says you can draft a good OL in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rds, but I look back at Snyder and Baas, both non first rounders, and we got 2nd , 3rd and 4th rd material...which was insufficient to fill our needs, ie a rock solid OL. So sure, I would love to have seen us trade up for one of the 3 or 4 OL guys. I had really hoped for deCastro or zeitler.

Generally, all pro OLs come out of first rd, and there is enough of a fall off after that to suggest if you need OL, go for it in 1st rd, even if you have to draft up. I suspect, B& H feel their in-camp-waiting-in-the-wings OL (Kilgore in particular) is plenty good enough to improve over snyder. Obviously they got security in later rds, which many of us wondered about. But make no mistake, this draft was not about particular players, this draft was about making our glaring weakness a strength. Those faulting the AJ pick, might be interested in looking at his hands compared to GOAT, Jerry Rice. If anything they are bigger. Coach Zook felt that AJ has great speed, soft but strong hands that resemble peach baskets, moreso than hands, (is not great with RAC), but overall, will end up being our #1 wR. It is just a matter of when, but probably this season.

As for the glaring weakness, it is obviously 3rd down and in RZ. At end of yr we had vernon and craps, which really means just vernon. Crbtre disappeared at end of season and in playoffs. So the 9ers drafted for situation, not players(altho obviously related), and with LaMichael split out and AJ , vernon, mario, maybe moss, Delanie, maybe williams (but that would be a surprise), and lastly craps , all of a sudden our glaring weakness appears well on the way to being fixed. Depth on D filled out the slate, but to say we got a D or F grade with AJ is just mystifying. My guess is he plays better than Hill, Floyd, et al,and that our coaches knew that...and we don't. I think AJ ends up being the O mirror image of ALL DONE. La Michael gives us that extra dimension, eliminates the box 8 permanently, and was drafted primarily to fix our 3rd down failures. I believe Aj and LaMichael will do just that. On basis of those two picks alone, I give baalke and Coach an A for the draft. The rest was just insurance...depth, if you will, on D.

My one prediction this draft was that we would take early on, guys I had never heard of or those I knew but never imagined in the gold and red. Baalke and Harbaugh did not disappoint. Mad dog, you did a yeoman's job on your draft work, but came up short on your grading. Put me down for an A.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Just wanna say again MD, I appreciate the effort you put in. Whether other posters and I agree or disagree is irrelevant. The fact is no other poster brings as much "gravitas" in his posts to spur great debates. Even though they get heated at times , its all in the spirit of cheering for the niners and wanting what we think is best.

Though we often dont agree, the respect is there even when it's for "grumpy puppy"

Other posters just gotta remember its just one man's opinion, but that it is a well researched and formulated opinion. No reason to get personal, or go further than witty remarks and comebacks.
Thanks for your comments. Real, honest opinions, is my goal.
Share 49ersWebzone