LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

All about the passing game Mock

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I can live with this draft. I like the first 3.

+1 Especially the Wolfe pick. Fugger is also a good value pick.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd bet we do draft a good interior OL...I like Zeitler a lot. Kilgore will compete for the position, but may not be ready for it. I've been hearing we'll sign a vet OG for months now and it hasn't happened yet. Zeitler makes a lot of sense...he can upgrade RG now, then move to C when Goodwin declines. He's not the only one...they could go after Silatolu, Brooks, et al. Harbaugh's all about competition...and he'd love to get a starting quality OG/C in this draft.

i will acknowledge that your point is well taken and could be correct.

We will find out in a couple of days.

Baalke does not seem to be very predictable.

I'd bet we do draft a good interior OL...I like Zeitler a lot. Kilgore will compete for the position, but may not be ready for it. I've been hearing we'll sign a vet OG for months now and it hasn't happened yet. Zeitler makes a lot of sense...he can upgrade RG now, then move to C when Goodwin declines. He's not the only one...they could go after Silatolu, Brooks, et al. Harbaugh's all about competition...and he'd love to get a starting quality OG/C in this draft.

FA signings usually slow/halt leading up to the draft. The top FA prospects go quickly, then teams want to wait and see what they can land in the draft before they sign the 2nd and 3rd tier FAs. Baalke is probably eyeing an OG in one of the first 3 rounds and he's waiting to see what happens on draft day before committing to any FA vet.
Originally posted by buck:

i will acknowledge that your point is well taken and could be correct.

We will find out in a couple of days.

Baalke does not seem to be very predictable.

I like your draft a lot.

But I agree with CNF on this one. The Niners IMO will draft a OLineman and I would bet in the first couple of rounds. Signing any vet at this stage is a very stop-gap move; not good planning or roster building for the future. OLinemen have to be brought in and developed for the future as a foundation for the offense.

I like Hill a lot, but he is all about potential. My election would be Streeter in the 3rd or, hopefully, the 4th - a similar unpolished speedy receiver with big upside (who won't be expected to produce right away), and go DL/OLB and OL in the first two rounds. I just feel that is how it will shake out. RB next year in what is expected to be a loaded class.

Of course this all depends on who is available when it's the Niners turn to pick, so there could be a surprise or two. Also, as you say, Baalke is unpredictable.

Well thought out mock, though. Thanks.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Or he will be a major bust. Hill has a high ceiling and a low floor. He has all the physical attributes to be great, but nobody can tell how he will perform given an NFL route tree against NFL defensive schemes. It is a 50/50 crap-shoot with Hill. Randle or Jeffery are safer picks.

Other than that, its a great mock. I really like your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks.

yeah but they are no where near the ceiling that hill has. no where even close
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I like your draft a lot.

But I agree with CNF on this one. The Niners IMO will draft a OLineman and I would bet in the first couple of rounds. Signing any vet at this stage is a very stop-gap move; not good planning or roster building for the future. OLinemen have to be brought in and developed for the future as a foundation for the offense.

I like Hill a lot, but he is all about potential. My election would be Streeter in the 3rd or, hopefully, the 4th - a similar unpolished speedy receiver with big upside (who won't be expected to produce right away), and go DL/OLB and OL in the first two rounds. I just feel that is how it will shake out. RB next year in what is expected to be a loaded class.

Of course this all depends on who is available when it's the Niners turn to pick, so there could be a surprise or two. Also, as you say, Baalke is unpredictable.

i love how people say he is all about potential. Dude is a beast and was. he was in a triple option offense. thats barely any passing. for one that means hes ready to come in and block day 1. We need that right now. he didnt get 30 yards a catch for nothing. teach him some routes and he will be a beast. He also make the crazy catches megatron does. dude is a hard worker too.yeah yeah yeah, boom or bust, but the cieling is way more rewarding in this draft than any other receiver in it. I dont think theres a low floor on this guy what so ever. No way he can be worse than ginn
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 24, 2012 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
I like your draft a lot.

i love how people say he is all about potential. Dude is a beast and was. he was in a triple option offense. thats barely any passing. for one that means hes ready to come in and block day 1. We need that right now. he didnt get 30 yards a catch for nothing. teach him some routes and he will be a beast. He also make the crazy catches megatron does. dude is a hard worker too.yeah yeah yeah, boom or bust, but the cieling is way more rewarding in this draft than any other receiver in it. I dont think theres a low floor on this guy what so ever. No way he can be worse than ginn

I cannot dispute what you are saying. He would be my choice if we were picking a WR in the first. Because of his ceiling. So I wouldn't be too disappointed if he were the pick in the first.

I'm just advocating what is IMO a better way to go. We'll see what happens.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think the offense needs more than the D. If you draft Dwayne Allen at TE with pick number 2, and Billy Wynn DE Boise State pick number 3, now you have the second rated TE in the draft and a DE that can replace Smith.

Allen maybe a better tight end than than Green, but not all that sure. I think they are comparable.

Wynn does not compare to Wolfe.

Wynn had 3 sacks. Wolfe had 9.5 sacks.
Wynn had 8 tackles for a loss; Wolfe had 21.5
Wynn had 33 tackles. Wolfe more than doubled that with 70 tackles.

edit: I had Wolfe listed a DT. That was wrong--he will play 3-4 DE. I edit my mock to remove that error.

I think we are on the same page. I love the TE and 3-4 DE pick. It is kind of comparing apples to oranges because Dwayne Allen is not doubt the better TE, and would be available in round 2 (if we are lucky) whereas Ladarius Green could be had in round 3 or 4.

Wolfe will be gone by the end of round 2, so the Niners would be lucky to get him also.

Wynn played in a 3-4 defense in college. He has played the 3 technique and 5 technique. As you know with Justin Smith the primary role of a 3-4 DE is to take up the blockers, get outside contain and let the OLB do the work. No doubt Wolfe is better, but we are talking about taking the superior (in my opinion TE first)

Wolfe played in a 4-3, lining up at DT and DE. This could translate to a 3-4 DE, but who knows.
Originally posted by fan49:
I like your draft a lot.

LOL If you get upset at Crabtree,Davis and Walker dropping easy passes youre gonna hate this kid. He went from deep threat to decoy for a reason. It just wasnt the offense he was in it was his hands. Looking like he can catch in drills means s**t during games. Hes not only worse than Ginn hes worse than Troy Williamson as a pass catcher.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
LOL If you get upset at Crabtree,Davis and Walker dropping easy passes youre gonna hate this kid. He went from deep threat to decoy for a reason. It just wasnt the offense he was in it was his hands. Looking like he can catch in drills means s**t during games. Hes not only worse than Ginn hes worse than Troy Williamson as a pass catcher.

im not basing anything off off of drills. If the guy couldnt catch, size and speed wouldnt matter he wouldnt be in the nfl draft let alone a first rounder. if you think davis is still a pass dropper im wondering what games your watching. for the last few years hes had some of the best hands on our team. Not to mention the main passing guy for those last few year.

Great mock i think i think id slap my mama if we went this route lol. The only thing is i believe we should scoop a guard up somewhere between rounds 2-4 its the only position of need we have not addressed in free agncy in some way. Which makes me believe it will be addressed in the draft. Or did Baalke intentionally do this to make other teams think we are targeting a guard in the draft? Meh i dunno Baalke is so hard to read lol by the way love the Dale Moss pick that guy has crazy athleticism and quickness for his size, i was wondering if anyone knew about this guy.
  • dj43

Hard to believe they will not grab an interior OL in one of the first 3 rounds. Either a backup/future replacement for Goodwin or to compete with an as yet unproven Kilgore.

To me, a good part of the drama will be what the do with the OL. If they do go after one in the first two rounds, it tells us Kilgore isn't the answer or they see Goodwin as on the decline soon. If nothing happens, then this team is stronger than some of us perceive on the inside.
Share 49ersWebzone