LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

All about the passing game Mock

• buck
  • Veteran
It is not complicated. We need to improve our passing offense and our passing defense.

Kilgore is the future at guard, but we will still sign a veteran guard in free agency.
Jake Scott, Kareem McKenzie, and Leonard Davis are still available.

I do not think that we draft a guard.

1st 30th Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech 6-4 206 4.37

Our depth at wide receiver is more than somewhat tenuous.
If you doubt Hill's hands, go back and watch him run the gauntlet at the combine.
Hill needs seasoning, but he will become a solid # 1 wide receiver.

2nd 61st Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati 6-5 300 5.01

Wolfe had 9.5 sacks, 21.5 tackles for a loss, and 70 tackles last year. He accumulated 162 total tackles, 37 tackles for loss, and 19.5 sacks during his three –year tenure at Cincinnati. He shared the Big East Defensive Player of the Year award as a senior.

3rd 92nd Ladarius Green TE La.-Lafayette 6-6 240 4.53

Green had 51 receptions for 606 yards and 8 scores. This year, he will provide help on third downs and in the red-zone.
Will have one year to gain weight and improve his blocking skills.

4th 124th Chris Greenwood CB Albion 6-1 193 4.42

Has good size and speed. In three year, Greenwood had 13 interceptions and returned 4 for scores.
Next small school corner to make it in the NFL.

5th 165th Tim Fugger OLB Vanderbilt 6-4 250 4.60

Fugger has good size and speed. He adds needed depth at OLB. He had 7 sacks and 13 tackles for a loss last year.
Second team All-Southeastern Conference honors in coaches' postseason ballot.

6th 200th Dale Moss WR S. Dakota St 6-3 220 4.47

He is fast, quick, explosive, and hard working. This former starting point guard is well worth a sixth round pick.
In his only year playing football, he had 61 catches for 949 yards and six scores.

7th 237th Kelcie McCray SS Arkansas St 6-2 195 4.49

McCray Had 22 passes defended (10 interceptions and 12 passes broken up) in four years.
He can play both SS and FS and we need depth at both positions.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM ]

If you doubt Hill's hands, go back and watch him run the gauntlet at the combine.

Haha, yea because that means you can catch a slant on 3rd and 8 with a DB all over you...or catch a deep out and toe tap on the sidelines...or even go up and catch a jump ball in the back of the endzone...yes two decent runs through the gauntlet and his hands cant be questioned...Christ.
I can live with this draft. I like the first 3.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Quote:

Haha, yea because that means you can catch a slant on 3rd and 8 with a DB all over you...or catch a deep out and toe tap on the sidelines...or even go up and catch a jump ball in the back of the endzone...yes two decent runs through the gauntlet and his hands cant be questioned...Christ.

He's also dropped balls when he's wide open, Teddy Ginn style.

I'm not a big Hill fan, but I think our staff would teach him correctly. Same goes for Green. I would be alright with that draft. It would pay dividends in the pass game down the road.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Never said his hands can not be questioned. Christ!!!
I would be very happy with this draft, I still think we get a G/C in first 3 rounds though. Also, Im not big on hill anymore. I wouldnt be upset if we drafted him, but I would rather have randle at 30. Still a good mock
Originally posted by buck:

Never said his hands can not be questioned. Christ!!!

His hands arent just questioned theyre a liability. If he wasnt fast he would end up being a udfa.
Not a fan of Hill and I think he'll be in Denver or Houston.

Even though I'm not a fan, it's a good draft.

I think we can do much better.
It is not complicated. We need to improve our passing offense and our passing defense.

Kilgore is the future at guard, but we will still sign a veteran guard in free agency.
Jake Scott, Kareem McKenzie, and Leonard Davis are still available.

I do not think that we draft a guard.

2nd 61st Derek Wolfe DT Cincinnati 6-5 300 5.01

Wolfe had 9.5 sacks, 21.5 tackles for a loss, and 70 tackles last year. He accumulated 162 total tackles, 37 tackles for loss, and 19.5 sacks during his three –year tenure at Cincinnati. He shared the Big East Defensive Player of the Year award as a senior.

3rd 92nd Ladarius Green TE La.-Lafayette 6-6 240 4.53

Green had 51 receptions for 606 yards and 8 scores. This year, he will provide help on third downs and in the red-zone.
Will have one year to gain weight and improve his blocking skills.

4th 124th Chris Greenwood CB Albion 6-1 193 4.42

Has good size and speed. In three year, Greenwood had 13 interceptions and returned 4 for scores.
Next small school corner to make it in the NFL.

5th 165th Tim Fugger OLB Vanderbilt 6-4 250 4.60

Fugger has good size and speed. He adds needed depth at OLB. He had 7 sacks and 13 tackles for a loss last year.
Second team All-Southeastern Conference honors in coaches' postseason ballot.

6th 200th Dale Moss WR S. Dakota St 6-3 220 4.47

He is fast, quick, explosive, and hard working. This former starting point guard is well worth a sixth round pick.
In his only year playing football, he had 61 catches for 949 yards and six scores.

7th 237th Kelcie McCray SS Arkansas St 6-2 195 4.49

McCray Had 22 passes defended (10 interceptions and 12 passes broken up) in four years.
He can play both SS and FS and we need depth at both positions.

Great job my man! I would bust one if this is what happened for us. Only thing is that we need a running back somewhere in there, or I guess we could wait one more year. And Hill seems to have pretty good hands to me. He made some sick catches in college. Not sure if he has consistent hands because I didn't watch all his games, but Terrell Owens didn't either. Anyways, I approve this draft
I think the offense needs more than the D. If you draft Dwayne Allen at TE with pick number 2, and Billy Wynn DE Boise State pick number 3, now you have the second rated TE in the draft and a DE that can replace Smith.

Or he will be a major bust. Hill has a high ceiling and a low floor. He has all the physical attributes to be great, but nobody can tell how he will perform given an NFL route tree against NFL defensive schemes. It is a 50/50 crap-shoot with Hill. Randle or Jeffery are safer picks.

Other than that, its a great mock. I really like your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks.
Only complaint is no RG. If you want a great passing game the QB has to be protected. If Kilgore or Boone win the RG spot, that will leave backup OT or G very weak for depth. Other than that there is a lot to think about in your writeups...thanks!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Only complaint is no RG. If you want a great passing game the QB has to be protected. If Kilgore or Boone win the RG spot, that will leave backup OT or G very weak for depth. Other than that there is a lot to think about in your writeups...thanks!

I am assuming (dangerous thing to do, I admit) that the plan is to sign a free agent guard.

If that is not the plan, we will draft a guard somewhere in the first four rounds.

Either Senio Kelemete or Brandon Brooks should be available in the fourth.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think the offense needs more than the D. If you draft Dwayne Allen at TE with pick number 2, and Billy Wynn DE Boise State pick number 3, now you have the second rated TE in the draft and a DE that can replace Smith.

Allen maybe a better tight end than than Green, but not all that sure. I think they are comparable.

Wynn does not compare to Wolfe.

Wynn had 3 sacks. Wolfe had 9.5 sacks.
Wynn had 8 tackles for a loss; Wolfe had 21.5
Wynn had 33 tackles. Wolfe more than doubled that with 70 tackles.

edit: I had Wolfe listed a DT. That was wrong--he will play 3-4 DE. I edit my mock to remove that error.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM ]
I'd bet we do draft a good interior OL...I like Zeitler a lot. Kilgore will compete for the position, but may not be ready for it. I've been hearing we'll sign a vet OG for months now and it hasn't happened yet. Zeitler makes a lot of sense...he can upgrade RG now, then move to C when Goodwin declines. He's not the only one...they could go after Silatolu, Brooks, et al. Harbaugh's all about competition...and he'd love to get a starting quality OG/C in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone