LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Use The First Pick To Draft An Offensive Guard

These are the reasons we need to use the first pick to draft a guard to replace Snyder.

1. The position is critical to the success of the O-Line. This was demonstrated when the line struggled last year until Snyder replaced Rachel. Snyder played at a high level that will be hard to duplicate.

2. Some may think Kilgore can replace Snyder, but he is a late round choice that is untested in game situations. It would be foolish and risky to assume he can just step in as a starter.

3. The signings of Moss and Manningham and re-signing of Ginn reduces the need to spend a first round choice on a wide receiver. The signing of Jacobs reduces the need to do the same on a running back.

4. The quality free agents at guard are already signed. There doesn't appear to be much of value left in the free agent pool.

5. Every position except right guard has a proven experienced starter signed. It's obvious that's the greatest need.

6.The best offensive guards, De Castro and Glenn, will be long gone (unless Baalke trades up, unlikely). The top remaining candidates appear to be Zeitler (Wisconsin), Osemele (Iowa State), and Silatolu (Midwestern St.).
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
yes
id rather get a playmaker in 1st such as wright or fleener maybe even alshon jeffery

then trade up in 2nd for one of those G
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
id rather get a playmaker in 1st such as wright or fleener maybe even alshon jeffery

This. Our lack of offensive playmakers is the reason we were not in the superbowl. Even with Williams mistakes, if we had a real playmaker back out there, we would have won.

Snyder didnt play at a high level last year, he was the weak link on the line, I think Kilgore will be an upgrade over him. We'll still draft a guard fairly high to compete with him.
I'd be disappointed if we reach for an OG with #30. After the upper tier I don't think there's huge difference between what we could get at #30 vs #61. I'd rather we went BPA at #30 and then try to jump up from #61 to land the best OG/C prospect to filter through.
So you are assuming that the top tier guards will be off the board by the time the Niners Pick in round one, and that Baalke will not trade up as it would cost too much.

You are then assuming that a rookie second tier guard could come in and outperform a player who is in his second year of the NFL. Hmmmmm think about that for a while.

Robert Gallery was considered the safest pick in the draft, he could not beat out Barry Sims to take a starting spot.

I reallize the 9ers need a guard, but I do not believe outside of De Castro there is any slam dunk guard that would be starting day one available at 30.
The only interior OL worth the #30 pick is Konz.

If we want a guard with our first pick, the best option is to trade down and get some extra talent in this top-heavy draft. We could come out with something like this if we took that option.

2. OG Zeitler / Silatolu / Brooks
2. WR Givens / Sanu
3. CB Trumaine Johnson / Hayward / Fleming
3. TE Egnew / Green
4. DL Randall / Wolfe / Harris / Howard
5. ILB Najee Good / Jerry Franklin
6. DB Neiko Thorpe / Robert Golden
7. NT Jean-Baptiste / Fangupo
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
The only interior OL worth the #30 pick is Konz.

If we want a guard with our first pick, the best option is to trade down and get some extra talent in this top-heavy draft. We could come out with something like this if we took that option.

2. OG Zeitler / Silatolu / Brooks
2. WR Givens / Sanu
3. CB Trumaine Johnson / Hayward / Fleming
3. TE Egnew / Green
4. DL Randall / Wolfe / Harris / Howard
5. ILB Najee Good / Jerry Franklin
6. DB Neiko Thorpe / Robert Golden
7. NT Jean-Baptiste / Fangupo

I like the trade down option. A draft like this could make the Niners two or three deep at every position just like our dynasty teams of the 80's.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
we should pick best player available
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

couldnt agree with you more.

plus any guard available at 30 will be a big reach and theres a chance that silatolu will be available at our 2nd

nah. draft bpa
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jsaniner:
These are the reasons we need to use the first pick to draft a guard to replace Snyder.

1. The position is critical to the success of the O-Line. This was demonstrated when the line struggled last year until Snyder replaced Rachel. Snyder played at a high level that will be hard to duplicate.

2. Some may think Kilgore can replace Snyder, but he is a late round choice that is untested in game situations. It would be foolish and risky to assume he can just step in as a starter.

3. The signings of Moss and Manningham and re-signing of Ginn reduces the need to spend a first round choice on a wide receiver. The signing of Jacobs reduces the need to do the same on a running back.

4. The quality free agents at guard are already signed. There doesn't appear to be much of value left in the free agent pool.

5. Every position except right guard has a proven experienced starter signed. It's obvious that's the greatest need.

6.The best offensive guards, De Castro and Glenn, will be long gone (unless Baalke trades up, unlikely). The top remaining candidates appear to be Zeitler (Wisconsin), Osemele (Iowa State), and Silatolu (Midwestern St.).

Is our need at right guard really our biggest need? All signs indicate that Harbaugh and the coaching staff feel Kilgore is ready to be a starter.
They have seen him work and perform at every practice. The fact that Kilgore was a late round pick is less relevant than his ability to play.
Not only does the team feel comfortable with Kilgore starting, but they are looking for a back up for Kilgore in free agency.

The guards you list as potential first rounds picks (Zeitler, Osemele, and Silatolu) are at best high second round picks.
You seem to be saying that our need at right guard is so great that we should draft a guard in the first even if that player is not a first round quality.
If that is what you are in fact saying, I disagree.

We should be able to get either Silatolu or Zeitler in the second and Osemele in the third.

I think that our first round pick should be that famous best available player.

If we are forced to reach to reach in the first, if we cannot find a trading partner, I think I would reach for a safety or wide receiver.

One player who I find more and more intriguing is Harrison Smith from Norte Dame. His stock is rising.
At this point, he is a solid second round pick, and I think that his stock will continue to rise.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM ]
Unless we land DeCastro, there's lots of talented offensive linemen that will be sitting around within the first 2-3 rounds (this is going to be an offensive-lineman dominated draft; 4 OTs could go in the first round alone).-Lots of tackles, lots of guards, and a handful of tackles that can be converted to the guard/center position.

-Very confident Harbaugh and Baalke also know this as well, which is why we're either getting an offensive weapon, or shooting for BPA with our 1st.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Unless we land DeCastro, there's lots of talented offensive linemen that will be sitting around within the first 2-3 rounds (this is going to be an offensive-lineman dominated draft; 4 OTs could go in the first round alone).-Lots of tackles, lots of guards, and a handful of tackles that can be converted to the guard/center position.

-Very confident Harbaugh and Baalke also know this as well, which is why we're either getting an offensive weapon, or shooting for BPA with our 1st.
agreed, i need to stop rolling my eyes whenever i see all these lets use ANOTHER 1st rd pick on an olinemen threads or posts because im confident baalke will use the pick on a playmaker whether its on o or d.
Originally posted by jsaniner:

I disagree. Baalke needs to take BPA at #30. There are plenty of quality guard prospects in the later rounds.

Furthermore, Kilgore is expected to be the frontrunner for the RG position.

Finally, there are still a few veteran guards available, and the 49ers have another coming in this week for an interview.

Baalke should draft BPA in the first round; he should not draft for a specific need.
Share 49ersWebzone