LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

OTC's 2012 first round mock

http://www.49erswebzone.com/draft/2012/mock/

OnTheClock was nice enough to provide us with a first round mock draft for our 2012 Draft War Room. Check back at that page for updates.
If thats how the draft works, I wouldn't understand the Redskins reasoning of taking Tannehill. I know they are desperate, but my armchair GM in me says with a high 2nd round pick, they are in a good position to take a QB in the 2nd round. I mean I really don't see much seperation between Tannehill and QBs that will be going in the 2nd or 3rd. Look at the Bengals, they passed on Locker/Ponder and instead went BPA in the 1st and choose their QB in the 2nd.

I just think you don't spend a 6th round pick unless you are pretty confident you are grabbing your franchise QB. And I don't think Tannehill inspires that confidence.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM ]
Yeah agreed if you're going to predict the trade of Cleveland moving up, atleast predict the trade of Washington moving down, way down in the first. As far as the pick, awesome. I read some of the other post from the link and those guys are idiots. You take the best player available no matter what round, the Giants have proved this by drafting dlineman every year. Brockers would be a hell of a pickup at the end of the first and by far BPA. Good stuff OTC
I understand tannehill at 6, who will trade up to 6 with RG3 off the board, with Kalil and Blackmon also off board.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
If thats how the draft works, I wouldn't understand the Redskins reasoning of taking Tannehill. I know they are desperate, but my armchair GM in me says with a high 2nd round pick, they are in a good position to take a QB in the 2nd round. I mean I really don't see much seperation between Tannehill and QBs that will be going in the 2nd or 3rd. Look at the Bengals, they passed on Locker/Ponder and instead went BPA in the 1st and choose their QB in the 2nd.

I just think you don't spend a 6th round pick unless you are pretty confident you are grabbing your franchise QB. And I don't think Tannehill inspires that confidence.

Since the Skins are likely to lose out on the Manning sweepstakes, I think they focus their attention on signing veteran Matt Flynn (seems perfect for Shanahan's offense) and using the 6th overall to land a big, playmaking WR (Blackmon or Floyd) or shore up their o-line (Reiff or Martin). With Manning likely signing in Miami, Seattle at #12 is the probable landing spot for Tannehill.
I think Washington understand this. But at the same time they would take the low ball offer to at least gain some extra picks while still getting their guy later. Alot of teams need an upgrade at rb, (Dallas,NYJ,Cinncinati,etc.)I don't think if someone is offering extra 3rd and fifth round picks to move up from the teens to get richardson would be out of the question.A win win for both teams. Or washington will draft another player at six and move up from round two, both scenarios make a whole lot more sense.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Since the Skins are likely to lose out on the Manning sweepstakes, I think they focus their attention on signing veteran Matt Flynn (seems perfect for Shanahan's offense) and using the 6th overall to land a big, playmaking WR (Blackmon or Floyd) or shore up their o-line (Reiff or Martin). With Manning likely signing in Miami, Seattle at #12 is the probable landing spot for Tannehill.

I agree. They would be MUCH better served doing this. Then they can wait and get a QB later in the draft like Weeden, Foles, etc. - The market for Flynn should not be huge considering Arizona would not grab him over Kolb, Miami all in for Manning, and the Seahawks being one of the only other teams possibly interested.
Btw, I wouldn't mind the Brockers pick knowing he's got a good shot at becoming a talented 3-4 DE. But if Fleener is there at #30, I can't see us passing him up given his connection with Harbaugh, how critical playmaking TEs are to what JH does and Fleener's already deep knowledge of the playbook. It's a match made in heaven.

Though OTC's point about our DEs is valid (one is injury-prone and other is aging), we currently have 4 guys on the roster that could step in and at least hold down the fort (RJF, Tukuafu, Dobbs and even Soap). There's also nice depth at this position in later rounds with guys like Kendall Reyes, Billy Winn, Derek Wolfe, Kheeston Randall, Jaye Howard, Akiem Hicks, Dominique Hamilton, Tydreke Powell, etc., available for development in later rounds. Granted, none have the upside as Brockers, but IMO, the 3-4 DE position is one where you can get away with having a little less talent, so long as you make up for it with overall size/strength/toughness, unselfishness and tenacity.

But the TE depth in this draft is horrid, and there's nobody that comes close to having the overall attributes/potential that Fleener does (IMO, he's Todd Heap and Jermaine Gresham in one package), especially when you take into consideration who his coach was in college and what system he learned.

And at 6'6", he's a guy you can split out near the goal line and cause a ton of mismatches....the possibilities are endless with Davis, Walker and Fleener at TE.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]
Once again the Tannehill to the skins pick is just nuts. Word around town is they don't even like Tannehill and are in love with Weeden. Which could be a smokescreen. But I just see no way they take him that high. Trading back in the late 1st for him makes more sense. As far as Brockers I'm all for it if the guy falls.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Once again the Tannehill to the skins pick is just nuts. Word around town is they don't even like Tannehill and are in love with Weeden. Which could be a smokescreen. But I just see no way they take him that high. Trading back in the late 1st for him makes more sense. As far as Brockers I'm all for it if the guy falls.

"Nuts" is a matter of perspective. E.g., nuts was saying prior to last year's draft that the Titans would reach for Jake Locker at #8 or the Vikings would select Ponder with the 12th overall...in other words, anyone who said that before the draft were probably called "nuts" if not worse. But both happened.

Now, I'm not comparing the latter two to Tannehill (both were much more established college QBs than RT), just saying that when it comes to QBs especially, teams that don't have one will do some "nutty" things.

Also (as you mention), never believe what teams put out there during draft time.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM ]

• mayo49
  • Veteran
San Francisco 49ersDT Michael Brockers, LSU

Brockers has arguably more upside than any DL prospect in the draft, and the 49ers could really use the depth at the DE position with McDonald often being a potential injury risk and Justin Smith not getting any younger.
I see St. Louis taking Claiborne over Blackmon. I know they need weapons, but I see Claiborne as a better prospect than Blackmon. St. Louis may need offensive weapons, but they also need cornerbacks in a bad way, and it's really tough to find good CBs in later rounds than it is for WRs.

In the same way, I see the Cowboys taking Jenkins over DeCastro, because their secondary was just so atrocious last season, and it's easier to find guards than cornerbacks later in the draft. Jones has taken risks on character issue guys like Dez Bryant, and I think Jenkins helped his case in interviews and on the turf at the combine.

I also don't see Poe or Wright dropping that low. I expect that Wright will run much faster at his pro day. I've read that Wright moving his arm triggered the sensor early for the 40, as other times had Wright under 4.5 as opposed to NFL.com's electronic times.

EDIT: Hmm Blackmon ran a sub 4.5. That's pretty good.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM ]
As far as the Brockers' pick, to me it was BPA. Brockers is a much better prospect than Fleener, IMO. Although, Fleeners familiarity and in depth knowledge of Harbaugh's system make him unique to the 49ers who may place more value in that. Also, R. Randle seemed like another prospect at #30 who would fit. However, most draftnicks would peg Brockers ahead of both Fleener and Randle for sure.

JMTC. Still, OTC, nice to see your name in lights. Well deserved and great job!

Not disagreeing but I just don't know enough about the Giants TE situation. I know both guys are hurt, but for how long? And how long are they under contract. Alot of people have the Giants going for Fleener. I understand if we pass him up. I want him on the team but if we do pass him up, why the Giants? Anyone know more about this than I do? Wouldn't that be 4 TE's on their roster and how many contracts? They probably don't make much but would they just give up on Ballard like that...
Jeez, some people are torching OTC in the comments section.

Personally, I'd take Fleener.
Share 49ersWebzone