NFL suspends 49ers owner Jed York for six games and fines him $500K →

There are 444 users in the forums

did you hear trent baalke on chronicle live last night?

Browse 49ers books and videos
Sign Smith for 3 years and if he looks good, we win. Then we can trade him for a good draft pick as soon as Kap is ready.
Originally posted by strickac:
Sign Smith for 3 years and if he looks good, we win. Then we can trade him for a good draft pick as soon as Kap is ready.

i dunno if he looks good id rather keep him then let an unproven qb start
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by strickac:
Sign Smith for 3 years and if he looks good, we win. Then we can trade him for a good draft pick as soon as Kap is ready.

i dunno if he looks good id rather keep him then let an unproven qb start

Phillip Rivers for Drew Brees
Tom Brady for Drew Bledsoe
Joe Montana for Steve Deberg
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

I agree Alex has shown flashes of brilliance, the Texans game 2 years ago, the Saints and Falcons in a two minute drill. He had the worst coaching I have seen in years so don’t know what we have. I also would love to see him shine; it would give us the Division.

That being said he has not shown any consistency and could be a bust. At least we will now know if he can succeed under better circumstances.

I don't know if you could call it brilliance when the texans game ended in a pick. We also lost all 3 of those games. Alex Smith is a bust. 6 years after this guy was drafted 1st overall we are praying for "above average" play, meanwhile the QB picked after him wins the superbowl. That is by definition a bust of a pick. Doesn't mean he can never be a decent player.

My favorite Alex Smith game.
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

I agree Alex has shown flashes of brilliance, the Texans game 2 years ago, the Saints and Falcons in a two minute drill. He had the worst coaching I have seen in years so don’t know what we have. I also would love to see him shine; it would give us the Division.

That being said he has not shown any consistency and could be a bust. At least we will now know if he can succeed under better circumstances.

I don't know if you could call it brilliance when the texans game ended in a pick. We also lost all 3 of those games. Alex Smith is a bust. 6 years after this guy was drafted 1st overall we are praying for "above average" play, meanwhile the QB picked after him wins the superbowl. That is by definition a bust of a pick. Doesn't mean he can never be a decent player.

My favorite Alex Smith game.

I think this is everyone's favorite Alex Smith game.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

I agree Alex has shown flashes of brilliance, the Texans game 2 years ago, the Saints and Falcons in a two minute drill. He had the worst coaching I have seen in years so don’t know what we have. I also would love to see him shine; it would give us the Division.

That being said he has not shown any consistency and could be a bust. At least we will now know if he can succeed under better circumstances.

I don't know if you could call it brilliance when the texans game ended in a pick. We also lost all 3 of those games. Alex Smith is a bust. 6 years after this guy was drafted 1st overall we are praying for "above average" play, meanwhile the QB picked after him wins the superbowl. That is by definition a bust of a pick. Doesn't mean he can never be a decent player.

My favorite Alex Smith game.

I think this is everyone's favorite Alex Smith game.

Almost 5 ears ago
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.

If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

I think JH see's a young Qb that has never been coached up since he was drafted.

This!!!!
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.

If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

I think JH see's a young Qb that has never been coached up since he was drafted.

This!!!!

Yeah . . . McCarthy, Norv Turner and Martz sure sucked. All three won superbowls as either OCs or HCs. But we know better . . . they couldn't coach worth a dime.

Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

Here is my concern. Alex Smith misses too many short throws. How many times have we seen him over-throw Frank Gore? A coach doesn't change accuracy. Smith has been hot and cold through the last 6 years (mostly cold). Many of the niners loosing issues may have been coach related, but I can't see Smith ever becoming a top tier QB.

That being said, I would love to be wrong. I am not an Alex hater, I'm just tired of loosing.

Fool me once shame on you, shame me six years in a row...........
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by strickac:
Sign Smith for 3 years and if he looks good, we win. Then we can trade him for a good draft pick as soon as Kap is ready.

i dunno if he looks good id rather keep him then let an unproven qb start

im sure they are much much more cases where it didnt work out
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

I agree Alex has shown flashes of brilliance, the Texans game 2 years ago, the Saints and Falcons in a two minute drill. He had the worst coaching I have seen in years so don’t know what we have. I also would love to see him shine; it would give us the Division.

That being said he has not shown any consistency and could be a bust. At least we will now know if he can succeed under better circumstances.

I don't know if you could call it brilliance when the texans game ended in a pick. We also lost all 3 of those games. Alex Smith is a bust. 6 years after this guy was drafted 1st overall we are praying for "above average" play, meanwhile the QB picked after him wins the superbowl. That is by definition a bust of a pick. Doesn't mean he can never be a decent player.

My favorite Alex Smith game.

I think this is everyone's favorite Alex Smith game.

Nah, i have to say my favorite Smith game was last season when he put the team on his back within the last few minutes and drove us not only to a TD, but a 2pt conversion against NO. Had the defense held, that win would of set the tone for the rest of the season in my opinion.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

I agree Alex has shown flashes of brilliance, the Texans game 2 years ago, the Saints and Falcons in a two minute drill. He had the worst coaching I have seen in years so don’t know what we have. I also would love to see him shine; it would give us the Division.

That being said he has not shown any consistency and could be a bust. At least we will now know if he can succeed under better circumstances.

I don't know if you could call it brilliance when the texans game ended in a pick. We also lost all 3 of those games. Alex Smith is a bust. 6 years after this guy was drafted 1st overall we are praying for "above average" play, meanwhile the QB picked after him wins the superbowl. That is by definition a bust of a pick. Doesn't mean he can never be a decent player.

My favorite Alex Smith game.

I think this is everyone's favorite Alex Smith game.

Nah, i have to say my favorite Smith game was last season when he put the team on his back within the last few minutes and drove us not only to a TD, but a 2pt conversion against NO. Had the defense held, that win would of set the tone for the rest of the season in my opinion.

this


i was at the game too if the defense stopped brees it was less than 2 min drill) that wouldve been a great game and comeback
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.

If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

I think JH see's a young Qb that has never been coached up since he was drafted.

This!!!!

Yeah . . . McCarthy, Norv Turner and Martz sure sucked. All three won superbowls as either OCs or HCs. But we know better . . . they couldn't coach worth a dime.


So the coaches that he had that were worth a dime were in his rookie year (McCarthy), the only season he has shown marked improvement (Turner) and by a coach that really didn't want him and brought in his own player (J.T O'sullivan) to have a mock QB competition (Martz). Now Smith should have shown the ability to beat out a Hill and J.T., but he didn't and that season I gaurentee he was not getting any type of coaching that was going to help improve his confidence or give the team any type of return on their investment.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.

If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

I think JH see's a young Qb that has never been coached up since he was drafted.

This!!!!

Yeah . . . McCarthy, Norv Turner and Martz sure sucked. All three won superbowls as either OCs or HCs. But we know better . . . they couldn't coach worth a dime.



FWIW . . .

2005: McCarthy was dealing with a rookie
2006: Turner had Smith moving in the right direction . . . clearly.
2008: Smith's shoulder was never right under Martz before he got shelved for the year at the end of training camp.


2011: We'll see.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 15,801
Originally posted by darkhorse1208:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.

If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

I think JH see's a young Qb that has never been coached up since he was drafted.

This!!!!

Yeah . . . McCarthy, Norv Turner and Martz sure sucked. All three won superbowls as either OCs or HCs. But we know better . . . they couldn't coach worth a dime.


So the coaches that he had that were worth a dime were in his rookie year (McCarthy), the only season he has shown marked improvement (Turner) and by a coach that really didn't want him and brought in his own player (J.T O'sullivan) to have a mock QB competition (Martz). Now Smith should have shown the ability to beat out a Hill and J.T., but he didn't and that season I gaurentee he was not getting any type of coaching that was going to help improve his confidence or give the team any type of return on their investment.

This debate will go on forever. I however favor the "Alex Smith not getting coached up" argument. It's like highschool. There were shi**y teachers who you didn't learn anything from, and there were teachers that taught you not only history or math, but life lessons. Yes he had three great OC's in the beginning, but as the poster above said, they each had their own agenda. I guarantee you McCarthy liked Rodgers better and knew he wasn't staying in SF long. Martz had his QB and never wanted to turn to Smith in the first place until Dingleberry told him to. And he had Turner who left a year after he started showing improvement only to run back into the ground by Hostler. You could make the arguement that for every good OC, he had terrible ones to follow (Hostler, Raye with a touch of Nolan and Dingleberry influence).
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone