NFL suspends 49ers owner Jed York for six games and fines him $500K →

There are 500 users in the forums

did you hear trent baalke on chronicle live last night?

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

....in college.

What you trying to say, Willis?

If I am thinking what you are thinking, then I must say that Alex never operated well in chaos in college either.

What I'm trying to say is, Kaepernick is a big ? and we don't know how well he operates yet. College was college, shoot Ken Dorsey was the best in college under pressure, OK maybe except for his last Bowl game.

Define "under pressure". Do you mean in a big game or literally with pass rushers breathing down his neck or broken plays...i.e., chaos.

Well, define Chaos, wouldn't it mean pretty much the same thing any way you put it??

Pack it in you guys. You both know what under pressure and chaos means. Any more of this and you are both staying in after school.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.

If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

lmao, Harbaugh is gonna be a used quarterback salesman in a few years when all 3 of our QB's are starting worthy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,104
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.


If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

This makes sense, with no free agency, who better to keep us in games while Kaepernick sits and learns??? With David Carr, Kaepernick would be thrown in much sooner if Alex Smith wasn't on-board.
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,104
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

....in college.

What you trying to say, Willis?

If I am thinking what you are thinking, then I must say that Alex never operated well in chaos in college either.

What I'm trying to say is, Kaepernick is a big ? and we don't know how well he operates yet. College was college, shoot Ken Dorsey was the best in college under pressure, OK maybe except for his last Bowl game.

Define "under pressure". Do you mean in a big game or literally with pass rushers breathing down his neck or broken plays...i.e., chaos.

Well, define Chaos, wouldn't it mean pretty much the same thing any way you put it??

Pack it in you guys. You both know what under pressure and chaos means. Any more of this and you are both staying in after school.

LOL, I quit, your right, its like trying to force the other to say "uncle".

Aaaah next thread.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

I agree Alex has shown flashes of brilliance, the Texans game 2 years ago, the Saints and Falcons in a two minute drill. He had the worst coaching I have seen in years so don’t know what we have. I also would love to see him shine; it would give us the Division.

That being said he has not shown any consistency and could be a bust. At least we will now know if he can succeed under better circumstances.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

....in college.

What you trying to say, Willis?

If I am thinking what you are thinking, then I must say that Alex never operated well in chaos in college either.

What I'm trying to say is, Kaepernick is a big ? and we don't know how well he operates yet. College was college, shoot Ken Dorsey was the best in college under pressure, OK maybe except for his last Bowl game.

Ken Dorsey example doesn't work. He had all star florida players, colin didn't have that kind of talent. Well he does now with frank gore. He's got to learn the team unlike alex and get use to davis at rt, basically he will just use mike L like frank gore does to run behind!
In reference to Jim Harbaugh "fixing" Alex Smith, I don't get why people (and some very notable writers) don't get that coaching and system matter in football. A LOT. Probably more than any other sport.

The examples are too numerous to name here, but for one everyone on these boards will be able to relate to, guess who made Peter King's top 100 player list (at # 78, AHEAD of Santonio Holmes): ...




I for one will wait and see what happens before passing too much judgement.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

....in college.

What you trying to say, Willis?

If I am thinking what you are thinking, then I must say that Alex never operated well in chaos in college either.

What I'm trying to say is, Kaepernick is a big ? and we don't know how well he operates yet. College was college, shoot Ken Dorsey was the best in college under pressure, OK maybe except for his last Bowl game.

Define "under pressure". Do you mean in a big game or literally with pass rushers breathing down his neck or broken plays...i.e., chaos.

Well, define Chaos, wouldn't it mean pretty much the same thing any way you put it??

Pack it in you guys. You both know what under pressure and chaos means. Any more of this and you are both staying in after school.

LOL, I quit, your right, its like trying to force the other to say "uncle".

Aaaah next thread.

That depends on what you mean by "uncle".
yea sure. More like to work on Cuban sluts on coke.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

I agree Alex has shown flashes of brilliance, the Texans game 2 years ago, the Saints and Falcons in a two minute drill. He had the worst coaching I have seen in years so don’t know what we have. I also would love to see him shine; it would give us the Division.

That being said he has not shown any consistency and could be a bust. At least we will now know if he can succeed under better circumstances.

I don't know if you could call it brilliance when the texans game ended in a pick. We also lost all 3 of those games. Alex Smith is a bust. 6 years after this guy was drafted 1st overall we are praying for "above average" play, meanwhile the QB picked after him wins the superbowl. That is by definition a bust of a pick. Doesn't mean he can never be a decent player.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on May 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%
I like Baalke. I think he is a straight shooter. I think that he likes Harbaugh's willingness to cut to the chase and get things done. Harbaugh had the cojones to reach out to Smith because as of today A. Smith is the best QB available to work with the niners to give them the best chance to win in a strike shortened off season. Anything other than A. Smith is pie in the sky until the CBA is resolved. So with a chance to get something done, and the chance to coach up someone that Harbaugh thinks can do something, which would be better than Carr, and Kap can do at this time Harbaugh took the plunge and Baalke backed him up.

Now whether Baalke can draft well the next two seasons will tell us.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

....in college.

What you trying to say, Willis?

If I am thinking what you are thinking, then I must say that Alex never operated well in chaos in college either.

What I'm trying to say is, Kaepernick is a big ? and we don't know how well he operates yet. College was college, shoot Ken Dorsey was the best in college under pressure, OK maybe except for his last Bowl game.

Question mark yes, but all QBs are, even those drafted in the top five as history serves. But big question mark, I don't bigger than Rodgers or Alex was.

Alex was pretty much like Hawaii ramp it and go. Except he never had a situation like Kaep (I may be mistaken) where he is down 17 and brings back the team for a win in the second half against a top 10 team.

However, you are right in that it was in college only, but at least it shows that he is capable to keep calm and not get frustrated.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone