LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Wrap Up Grade for Niners

I tend to agree there was a lot of risk in this draft. But if the high upside guys come through we will be ok.
I think playing hurt and holding up well is better than drafting a player who didn't play at all last year. Robert Quinn is a beast but atm of the draft was just a gym rat not a football player. Asmith has more potential at 5 tech than Quinn, who was made for a 4-3 also.
Will be fun to see if Kilgore and Hunter continue to look as good as they have been. Grade of A seems to be in line with his play but C for Kilgore seems very low thus far.
So thankful we didn't get Gabbert. He's looking in JAX as I predicted. Shaky.

In other news, we haven't even started the season and the op's draft grades are looking to be off by a couple of letters per pick.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

Cause you can totally grade all of our picks before they have played a single real game.

I mean, they're always an interesting read before the draft and I appreciate the work he puts in, but in light of his recent haughty attitude I'm laughing.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

I mean, they're always an interesting read before the draft and I appreciate the work he puts in, but in light of his recent haughty attitude I'm laughing.

Seems to come and go...like the tides. But I do respect the work and my picks would be more questionable, so I don't throw stones. If a guy hits on half his picks it's a good day.
This could end up being the most epic grading fail in amateur draft expert history.
so glad you look to be horribly wrong maddogg lol

trot them out a few year in regular season first
It's to early to tell with these draft picks but there is a tingling coming up my leg when I think about it...

Shout out to Chris Mathews for the leg quote thingy
As stated before, I hope I am wrong about the grade as well. I hope it is the greatest draft class in NFL history. Only time will tell.

Based on what we have seen in preseason, I don't see a major improvement in the grade. None of the guys are starting, so we have no idea how they match up against the best players. Smith has looked good in practice, and pretty good in games against second stringers. But, I think fans really exaggerate his performance so far. The guy I targeted with the 7th has been more impressive this preseason, JJ Watt. We'll get a chance to see him against our team this week.

CK has been up and down. He's a rookie QB.

Culliver looks promising, but is probably a 4th or 5th CB in 2011.

Hunter looks like a really nice change of pace back. Again, he's running with backups.

The late rounders look like backup, role players. Kilgore may be better than I believed, but once again, we are talking about playing with second and third teamers.

Check back in a couple years. Usually, I am pretty good in my analysis, and prove to be correct.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
As stated before, I hope I am wrong about the grade as well. I hope it is the greatest draft class in NFL history. Only time will tell.

Based on what we have seen in preseason, I don't see a major improvement in the grade. None of the guys are starting, so we have no idea how they match up against the best players. Smith has looked good in practice, and pretty good in games against second stringers. But, I think fans really exaggerate his performance so far. The guy I targeted with the 7th has been more impressive this preseason, JJ Watt. We'll get a chance to see him against our team this week.

Hunter looks like a really nice change of pace back. Again, he's running with backups.

The late rounders look like backup, role players. Kilgore may be better than I believed, but once again, we are talking about playing with second and third teamers.

Check back in a couple years. Usually, I am pretty good in my analysis, and prove to be correct.

Usually you are accurate. You do, however, misread players on occassion. Brooks is a prime example. You never thought he'd make much of a back up let alone a starter.

Still no one is perfect...and you usually preface your negative comments by saying you hope you're wrong.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Watt has been pretty impressive so far this pre season. He gets a great push and uses his hands well. Personally I still would have picked Aldon over Watt b/c I feel the team just had a bigger hole at OLB then DE. I think they need to put Aldon in with the starters and give him 1st team reps. I want to see him vs 1st team talent. I don't like a draft where everybody is a backup. Your 1st and 2nd rounders need to be contributing right away. Of course when you have draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd then the circumstances are different. The only pick that really bothered me was culliver and the guy has played well. So only time will tell.
Share 49ersWebzone