There are 201 users in the forums

very disappointing draft...

Also, one of the ESPN analysts, Mcshay had him going as high as five to the (wait for it)... Cardinals. Some people like Quinn, but the more I read about Smith's background after the pick, I said wow, the guy was a freshman All American. The same year that Quinn had his 11.5 sacks, so did Smith (as a freshman no less). Then he comes back and records 6 sacks after missing 3 games and while playing on a broken fibula. Imagine if he didn't have a broken fibula and didn't miss the three games. Chances are, he would have another double digit sack season, and only as sophmore! So he had two productive seasons and not one compared to Quinn. Shows how tough he is. Pretty sure this would have pushed him up the draft boards, but people probably didn't take this into consideration. Plus Quinn came from the same school that gave us Balmer.

Another consideration for the niners is that Smith played on his feet as a LB on occasion, while Quinn didn't. He still is learning, but at least he played some, in fact his lone interception was when he dropped back and tipped the pass in the air and then grabbed it. Which leads us to his other attribute his long arms. There is more to defenseing the pass than sacks, and that is sometimes batting the ball down or tipping the ball in the air for someone to intercept. Maybe even forcing the QB to alter his delivery arc thus forcing a bad pass-all of which doesn't get recorded. Plus we only grow another 10-15 pounds.

If he getts at least 4-5 seasons of double digit sacks- he isn't a reach. Also, I am sure fellow alum and fellow Smith named Justin will take him unders his wing.
I have more confidence in our picks because I do have confidence in our coaching staff as of right now.

Which leads me into saying that one thing that's being lost in all of this is people aren't seeming to take in account that while the bulk of the responsibility falls on Baalke and his staff when it comes to the picks it's not like he's not soliciting our coaching staff on their thoughts and what they feel about prospects.

As far as reaching goes it all comes down to how you define it. Smith was for example in terms of value was roughly 15ish when it came to BPA but there was a strong chance he was going to 11 to Houston. So in a value sense we did reach a tiny bit but from the angle of him being where he was going to go than I would say he wasn't a reach.

The same thing could be said about Kaepernick. In terms of value he was a reach but it was pretty obvious the Redskins and especially the Raiders were going to be in play for him so where we got him wasn't a reach because odds aren't he wasn't going to be on the board for much longer.

The only one that you can debate being a reach was Culliver and it seems but it seems Mayock was the only one with a 6th round grade on him while a few had him has a 3rd-4th round guy. I will say I do like those measurable paired with Ed Donatell's coaching.

My definition of a reach would've been the Seahawks taking James Carpenter in the 1st. Didn't seem like the value was there nor did it seem like there was a risk of anyone taking him anytime soon.

But I'm not going to play armchair GM and say what we should've done and what we shouldn't do since I'm not pouring hours and hours into game films, pro days, etc. For now I'm siding on the era of optimism about what we're doing as a whole until proven otherwise on the field in the next couple of years.
i was bummed we didnt get peterson but that doesnt mean Aldon isnt a beast. i think the first two picks were awesome. we got a great passrushing talent and a do it all QB with size, speed, best arm strength in this class, great awareness and f**kin wheels!!! the third rounder coulda been better but atleast he has good size and speed and with the right coaching could become a starting CB or FS for us. im excited to see these guys work if the nfl gets their s**t together soon
it´s not a great draft so far, but I think we picked up some good players. Smith is what our def needs
Originally posted by cozz4:
aldon smith at #7 was a major reach...if hes the guy you want, they should have traded back a few spots and then taken him there...and chris culliver in round 3??? the guy got a 6th round grade!!! very disappointing

Nobody wanted to trade with us.
On the CP pick, many thought we would have to trade back into the first round, we didn't, so we didn't have to pay as much to get a QB that JH wanted. It also shows the niners didn't overreact or that Baalke wasn't afraid to trade, just that he needed someone to d it with. The value is good, he was rated between 2-3 rounder by some.

As for the third rounder. I know nothing of him, but I have a feeling that this is the kind of guy Fangio wants, lots of speed to attack the offense.

For the remainder of the draft, I'll leave to you experts to say who we should pick. Would not mind though if the niners can pair the sixes and sevens to move up to get a pairs of fives.

So far it is a B grade draft, but if both Smith and Kaep become a starters and have the same success they had like college, then A+ and the rest would be gravy.
roger that and on the Kaep pick. This guy seems very fired up to get started. I never have seen a pick get to the facility within a couple of hours after being drafted and he's staying the night ...PER HARBAUGH! Let the staff make the picks and enjoy!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I like the Aldon Smith pick.

But I'm not crazy about trading up for Kaepernick in second. He's a project and he's not going to help us anytime soon. I wanted us to go defense in the second.

Culliver? who?

[ Edited by Hopper on Apr 30, 2011 at 05:49:59 ]
Very excited about the QB we got, especially because he's from the area. Not sure about Smith espcially with Fairley and Quinn still on the board, this kid gives me the Manny Lawson vibe. No idea who the safety is but we seemed pretty set with young safeties. The consensus amongst analysts seems to be that we slightly reached on all our picks, there's going to be a lot of pressure on this coaching staff to make something of these guys.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:

But I'm not crazy about trading up for Kaepernick in second. He's project and he's not going to help us anytime soon. I wanted us to go defense in the second.

Culliver? who?

The Kaepernick pick is basically telling us:

"Hey Alex Smith, we're going to give you one more opportunity to prove yourself. Now instead of an egotistical defensive head coach with his hands in the offensive cookie jar, you now will get a former pro-bowl QB and runner up MVP as your coach - an offensive guru in the WCO.

Now we are providing you with all the tools. If you still can't do it, well you are out of here because now we have a young guy behind you. Not a Trent Dilfer, not a Shaun Hill, and not a David Carr/Troy Smith. We traded up to get this guy, and we are committed to developing him as our new starter because you haven't given us any indication of being a franchise QB. Prove us wrong"

I'll give Baalke the benefit of the doubt on this pick.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
aldon smith at #7 was a major reach...if hes the guy you want, they should have traded back a few spots and then taken him there...and chris culliver in round 3??? the guy got a 6th round grade!!! very disappointing

weak

smith over robert quinn will haunt this team for a LONG LONG TIME...the pick makes no sense at all...if u guys wanna look thru you rose colored glasses go ahead!!
I agree! I don't feel like Baalke and Jimmy are working there picks well. I don't mind their choices. I just feel that could have gotten more trades. The same thing happened last year with our first round pick.
This draft has Baalke all over it and I don't like his strategy.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Hopper:

But I'm not crazy about trading up for Kaepernick in second. He's project and he's not going to help us anytime soon. I wanted us to go defense in the second.

Culliver? who?

The Kaepernick pick is basically telling us:

"Hey Alex Smith, we're going to give you one more opportunity to prove yourself. Now instead of an egotistical defensive head coach with his hands in the offensive cookie jar, you now will get a former pro-bowl QB and runner up MVP as your coach - an offensive guru in the WCO.

Now we are providing you with all the tools. If you still can't do it, well you are out of here because now we have a young guy behind you. Not a Trent Dilfer, not a Shaun Hill, and not a David Carr/Troy Smith. We traded up to get this guy, and we are committed to developing him as our new starter because you haven't given us any indication of being a franchise QB. Prove us wrong"

I'll give Baalke the benefit of the doubt on this pick.

This sounds like a rant. Kap is the next Stave Young.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Also, one of the ESPN analysts, Mcshay had him going as high as five to the (wait for it)... Cardinals. Some people like Quinn, but the more I read about Smith's background after the pick, I said wow, the guy was a freshman All American. The same year that Quinn had his 11.5 sacks, so did Smith (as a freshman no less). Then he comes back and records 6 sacks after missing 3 games and while playing on a broken fibula. Imagine if he didn't have a broken fibula and didn't miss the three games. Chances are, he would have another double digit sack season, and only as sophmore! So he had two productive seasons and not one compared to Quinn. Shows how tough he is. Pretty sure this would have pushed him up the draft boards, but people probably didn't take this into consideration. Plus Quinn came from the same school that gave us Balmer.

Another consideration for the niners is that Smith played on his feet as a LB on occasion, while Quinn didn't. He still is learning, but at least he played some, in fact his lone interception was when he dropped back and tipped the pass in the air and then grabbed it. Which leads us to his other attribute his long arms. There is more to defenseing the pass than sacks, and that is sometimes batting the ball down or tipping the ball in the air for someone to intercept. Maybe even forcing the QB to alter his delivery arc thus forcing a bad pass-all of which doesn't get recorded. Plus we only grow another 10-15 pounds.

If he getts at least 4-5 seasons of double digit sacks- he isn't a reach. Also, I am sure fellow alum and fellow Smith named Justin will take him unders his wing.

This
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
roger that and on the Kaep pick. This guy seems very fired up to get started. I never have seen a pick get to the facility within a couple of hours after being drafted and he's staying the night ...PER HARBAUGH! Let the staff make the picks and enjoy!

Good point! I agree.
Originally posted by WildBill:
On the CP pick, many thought we would have to trade back into the first round, we didn't, so we didn't have to pay as much to get a QB that JH wanted. It also shows the niners didn't overreact or that Baalke wasn't afraid to trade, just that he needed someone to d it with. The value is good, he was rated between 2-3 rounder by some.

As for the third rounder. I know nothing of him, but I have a feeling that this is the kind of guy Fangio wants, lots of speed to attack the offense.

For the remainder of the draft, I'll leave to you experts to say who we should pick. Would not mind though if the niners can pair the sixes and sevens to move up to get a pairs of fives.

So far it is a B grade draft, but if both Smith and Kaep become a starters and have the same success they had like college, then A+ and the rest would be gravy.
I would say closer to a C+ for not using the board to their advantage. The coaching staff is young and hopefully this is a growing pain. We are on the path to mediocrity if this continues.
Share 49ersWebzone