LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

need WR help...

• cozz4
  • Veteran
this san francisco team needs help at wide receiver DESPERATELY!!!!...yes the ab play has been awful, but crabtree has not lived up to any hype so far and im ready to give up on josh morgan...its time to get another wide reciever in here because these guys just havent gotten it done at all
True on morgan...although crabtree is good and going to be very good with a qb or even more throws his way. Ginn is a better third option and i think our number two wr. So yes we need a wr better than morgan and ginn and comparable or better than crabtree.

I think we could get a fa like braylon edwards that would kick ass
very true but we have much bigger needs also. If we don't go WR this year, we most definitely will next.
We have been blaming players for quite some time, I think a huge part of it has been the coaching staff. With Harbaugh I have no doubt in my mind our WR's will put up better numbers regardless of the QB. Crabtree has proved he has talent and Morgan took a huge step forward this past year(all under Sing). I don't like Ginn as our 3rd we could use an upgrade there. Imagine our WR's in a WCO system with a X's and O's type of coaching staff. A game plan to the opponents weaknesses and our strengths not just focus on what were doing practice hard and earn wins. I can't wait to see what Harbaugh and co. Can do to this offense.
Late round.....

• JDog
  • Veteran
meh... just pick up Sidney Rice in FA
It's kind of hard to realyy & truely evaluate a WR & his play if you have major Inconsistency at the QB position. I think Crab has shown some flashes & yes he's dropped some passes. Morgan seems to dog it on plays, then makes a great play.

Given the state of our team the mess we've been in i think we can get a wr in the later rounds or next year. i don't think it's a pressing need.

what if we get a solid vet qb who will challenge these wr's? plus this is yr 3 for Crab & that's when WR's come through. but given the state with the CBA I seriously wouldn't worry about WR because were going to have a hell of a time as a team coming together under a new system. they won't be able to practice asa whole with the new playbooks.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Tho I think that the unit we have now will get a fair shot under the new coaching staff, I still believe that everyone, from VD to Crabtree to Morgan and Ginn, are just too inconsistent..

But don't get me wrong, they really didnt have the QB to help them out either..

Here are the list of the WRs I wouldnt mind drafting in round 3 and on:

Round 3:
Jerrel Jernigan, Troy
Greg Salas, Hawaii

Round 4:
Greg Little - UNC
DeAndre Brown - So Miss

Round 5:
Edmund Gates, Abilene Christian
  • dj43
Originally posted by cozz4:
this san francisco team needs help at wide receiver DESPERATELY!!!!...yes the ab play has been awful, but crabtree has not lived up to any hype so far and im ready to give up on josh morgan...its time to get another wide reciever in here because these guys just havent gotten it done at all

WR IS a major need but it is behind:

1. Pass rusher

2. CB

I agree Crabtree has been a huge disappointment, not only in production but his work ethic has been near zero. Morgan has certainly not kept any DCs up nights. I don't believe it would be wise to just assume Harbaugh himself will correct all of that although I expect to see improvement in just about all areas. In the end, this team still will need a speedy WR with some size. Ted Ginn is NOT the answer.
Our new HC will require our wr's to do alot of things that they haven't done in the past .

He will not allow:

1.) the taking off of a play when the ball isn't coming your way.
2.) not being able to make the correct hot reads on a blitz.
3.) running lazy routes.
4.) dropping so many darn balls.
5.) alligator arms or not diving for balls or fighting for jump balls like other teams wr's often do. We need to win all of those jump balls in order for our qb to be able to trust our wr's.

I think Crab's will step up this year because Jim will demand it but I really have my doubts about Morgan.

I think we go wr in the 4th round. A guy like Salas should be there with our 1st pick in the 4th round and he would be perfect fit for the WCO.

• cozz4
  • Veteran
behind crabtree and vdavis, we have NOOO wide recivers...josh morgan and ted ginn are not the answer here....taking torrey smith in the 2nd round would not be an awful idea
Originally posted by cozz4:
behind crabtree and vdavis, we have NOOO wide recivers...josh morgan and ted ginn are not the answer here....taking torrey smith in the 2nd round would not be an awful idea

It would be an awful idea because we have bigger needs at OLB, CB and QB.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Torey Smith is Ginn all over again.. i think that Harbaugh will keep the group we have now and give them the chance this year.. but i also think that he's gonna be drafting WRs (Jernigan) if he's available, or even Salas so that he can wake up the group..
WR help? I`d beg to differ. We have plenty of viable options in the passing game. Davis, Walker, Crabs, Gore, Morgan, Williams, Ginn, Zieg, Etc.

We have many more pressing needs, like a starting corner(with the Clements situation up in the air) and a Pass rushing OLB.

WR is way down on the list because at best, who ever we bring in would be a number 3 or 4 option in the passing game behind Davis, Crabs and Gore.

Im more worried about Starting players than I am worried about our WR depth.
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM ]
The Niners will be looking for a tall, possession, redzone-type wr/te or a speedy/ fast route runner who can double as a punt and kick returner to compete against Ginn and Williams.

Jim Harbaugh likes to use the TE like Bill Walsh used to back in the glory days. He got a stud in VD and Delanie is a good versatile backup who can also help at WR, HB, and FB. I think the coaching staff would like to add more height to the position for their redzone offense and play-action plays. Currently Byham is the tallest at 6'4 and is good blocker, but is limited to hook routes and curls because of his lack of speed.

Guys in the draft who I think would be good fits are:

Rob Housler TE/WR - in the Dwight Clark mold
Jerrel Jernigan WR/RS - very fast and quick
Randall Cobb WR/RS - reminds me a little of Freddie Solomon
Terrence Toliver WR
Ron Johnson WR - Jim Harbaugh already has coached against him in the PAC-10
Leonard Hankerson WR
Virgil Green TE - had a Vernon Davis like combine this weekend
Charles Clay TE/FB - versatile in the Earl Cooper mold
Schulyer Oordt TE - 6'6
Luke Stocker TE - ditto
Kyle Rudolph TE - ditto again and the Niners like Notre Dame guys who can play
Cecil Shorts III WR

I didn't include AJ Green or Julio Jones. I don't see them taking either one of these guys at #7. They however, may take either one of these two if they trade down into the teens (which I think the 49ers will do in this draft) and either Green or Jones happens to fall and Baalke and Harbaugh feel they are too good to pass up. Jones is the one most likely to fall with his recent injury.

Enjoy the Draft!!!
Share 49ersWebzone