LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 170 users in the forums

Drafting 2 quarterbacks

Originally posted by artx84de4089er:
How would everyone feel about drafting 2 QB's this year. I really think it'll be a crapshoot with all of the QB's mention on whomever bandwagon you are apart of.

This is just a general question and would appreciate opinions.

I think for this year, we have to do it. There is just too much riding on the one guy we get. I think this would be great for insurance purposes.

We only have Carr if we luck out and Alex Smith goes away. Troy also is out too. So as the CBA stands you still have to insure yourself at the QB spot with the draft. No reason why you couldnt take a 1st or 2nd rd QB and take a shot on a 6th rd QB as well. Plus when installing a new offense behind a OL as bad as ours you might wanna grab 2 good QB prospects.
Originally posted by Paul:
last time we did that we ended up with....

whos that?
With 2 6th and 2 7ths, it's definitely a possibility.

We take someone more likely to be our back up/development project in the 2nd/3rd and then take a flyer on someone late who has a shot to make the team, or at least the PS with a good camp.

Can't hurt. Odds are we sign/trade for at least one other vet, someone who will compete for the starting job.

So, the late rounder will just have to beat out Carr or the other draftee to make the team.
Im game. Take a Corner or Rusher No. 7, unless AJ Green slips then I say grab him. Wouldnt mind if they went QB the next two rounds, say something like a Ponder/Kaepernick and let em battle and compete for the job in a year or two. Gonna have to find a QB in FA or let A Smith come back which I dont want im bout tired of that foo but we only got so many options for this coming up season. Just gotta hunch Kaeperkick's gonna be able to ball in the league, I hope we dont pass on em too many times. Also wouldnt pass on Locker if he fell to our 2nd pick. How bout a Kaepernick/Dalton combo. Some combos of earlier picks and later round picks I'd be ok with; Ponder/Delvin- Kaepernick/Stanzi and or McElroy.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
2nd rounder and Greg "he's our new 6th round boy" McElroy.

for some odd reason I think McElroy will be pretty decent in the league, I just hope hes available in the 6th
I don't see the point of drafting two.

If we have three QBs on the 53 man roster would we want two of them to be rookies?

If we have four QBs on the 53 man roster then someone else has to lose their job.

I think we should have 1 free agent, 1 rookie, and 1 QB from last year.
Originally posted by krizay:
I for one am probably in the minority (what else is new come draft time eh? )but i'd be ok with it. IF all the stars aligned correctly.

Say Ponder in the 2nd. (Though I believe we'll have to trade up to get but...) Then if say Dalton or Stanzi is still there in the 4th, Why the hell not?

The 4th round picdk we choose. Who ever that may be, will likely be a backup player for us. So why not a backup QB? Would provide competition for both QB's. Not too mention in theory they'd likely get the same tutledge right out of the gate as opposed to trying to coach up the starter and letting the backup guy basically learn from watching.

If QB is the most important player on the field. Then backup QB > than backup any thing else right?

I'm with you on the drafting 2 QBs. Packers did it a few years back with Brian Brohm in the 2nd and Matt Flynn in the 7th. The first one (Brohm) didn't pan out and it looks like the Packers have a pretty decent backup, at least, in Matt Flynn. So why not? I think I'd actually be more comfortable with letting 2 rookies come in, if something were to happen to whomever our starting QB is, over David Carr.
Almost any rookie QB > David Carr. At least we'd get to see what we had with the rookies. We know what what have with D.Carr and its .
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

If we have three QBs on the 53 man roster would we want two of them to be rookies?

If we have four QBs on the 53 man roster then someone else has to lose their job.

Well, it's like this to me. Pickup a long time vet in free agency. Carry all 4 guys into the last cut. Smith, 2 rookie QB's and the free agent vet. IF one of our rookies is looking decent comibg out of training camp. That will allow us to cut the vet during the last cuts. Leaving us Smith and the 2 rookies. If Smith goes down at any point in the season. That rookie QB who looked decent can step in and take the spot. Then we can resign that vet we cut.

Your forgetting practice squad....
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

Your forgetting practice squad....

Players on our practice squad would be free to sign with any other team. So any QB sent to the practice squad is obviously someone we don't value that highly to begin with.

We have too many other needs.

exactly! plus deep draft for defense. i'd like us to draft some good defensive players. lol been waiting on that one for some time now
Originally posted by krizay:
I for one am probably in the minority (what else is new come draft time eh? )but i'd be ok with it. IF all the stars aligned correctly.

Say Ponder in the 2nd. (Though I believe we'll have to trade up to get but...) Then if say Dalton or Stanzi is still there in the 4th, Why the hell not?

The 4th round picdk we choose. Who ever that may be, will likely be a backup player for us. So why not a backup QB? Would provide competition for both QB's. Not too mention in theory they'd likely get the same tutledge right out of the gate as opposed to trying to coach up the starter and letting the backup guy basically learn from watching.

If QB is the most important player on the field. Then backup QB > than backup any thing else right?

After thinking about it, I'm not sure I agree with this krizay.

I think the value of depth/backup players at a certain position should be based on the chance they'll have to play sooner than later.

The QB (assuming decent protection, and I know that's a pretty big assumption at this point) should have a lower chance of injury than a lot of other positions on the field. I think this is supported by the longer careers of QBs.

At other positions, especially things like DL where there's a rotation, I think depth might be more important than QB depth.
Originally posted by wailers15:
We have too many other needs.

exactly! plus deep draft for defense. i'd like us to draft some good defensive players. lol been waiting on that one for some time now

We have too many other needs to spend an extra 6th or 7th on someone that could have maybe Matt Flynn (hopefully at worst) or Tom Brady (at very best) impact on the most important position in football?

I can't agree with that. I agree we don't want to take a QB in the first or second round and then one in the third or fourth also. But if we take one in any of the first four rounds and then use one of our FOUR 6th/7th round picks to take a chance on someone, the reward outweighs the risk.

It's about time we started stockpiling talent at the QB position again.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Paul:
last time we did that we ended up with....

whos that?

I think that's Carmazzi. Didn't we draft him and Rattay in the same draft?
Harbaugh and Baalke are paid to identify talent and develop it, so I doubt they're drafting with the mind-set of a guy maybe not panning out. I can see taking a chance on a guy who possibly shows good value at the end of the draft, but I doubt professionals like these guys will waste a pick just in case they made a mistake on another.
Share 49ersWebzone