There are 175 users in the forums

Mid to Late Round RBs

This is not an anti-Frank Gore thread. So let me get that out of the way. I still think Frank is great and will be great for at least a few more years. But as well all know, he's not going to play a full 16 (or 18 depending on the CBA) game season. I love Dixon, but I'm still not convince he can be a starter in if something were to happen with Gore. So I was wondering about middle to late round running backs that could be possible when we pick. I've usually thought we needed a speed back (ex: Noel Devine, but his size is a scary factor to me.)
Where do you see these running backs going in the draft and who's your favorites:
Ryan Williams Virginia Tech RB
Mikel LeShoure Illinois RB
Kendall Hunter Oklahoma St RB
Daniel Thomas Kansas St RB
Jordan Todman Connecticut RB
DeMarco Murray Oklahoma RB
Deleone Carter Syracuse RB
Shane Vereen Cal RB
Derrick Locke Kentucky RB

Also which one of the these is considered the best "WCO type back"? I personally like Mikel LeShoure and DeMarco Murray. But I'm the not a draft guru and was wondering where we can pick up a good back.

edit: I just wanted it to be known that the above list was taken from MadDog's big board. I wanted to give credit where credit is do. Any RBs not listed on there, was not listed by me. If anyone wants me to edit the list to a more realistic "Middle to Late Round RB" list, I can do that.

[ Edited by Travisty13 on Feb 10, 2011 at 15:21:48 ]
I see Mikel Leshoure being an early pick, probably going in the 2nd. He would be my first choice, but we have other needs. I really like Kendall Hunter in the 4th for us
Originally posted by saniner:
I see Mikel Leshoure being an early pick, probably going in the 2nd. He would be my first choice, but we have other needs. I really like Kendall Hunter in the 4th for us

I agree. I don't see LeShoure being there when we pick. We all know OLB, CB and QB are the first 3 picks. So unless he slips to the fourth, I don't think we'll be in play for him. I'm not to familiar with Hunter, I may have to read up on him more.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

I agree. I don't see LeShoure being there when we pick. We all know OLB, CB and QB are the first 3 picks. So unless he slips to the fourth, I don't think we'll be in play for him. I'm not to familiar with Hunter, I may have to read up on him more.

He's too small to be a starter in the league, and he has a few injury problems, but he is a shifty, productive runner. He runs hard, has good vision, and can run between the tackles.

He's too small to be a starter in the league, and he has a few injury problems, but he is a shifty, productive runner. He runs hard, has good vision, and can run between the tackles.

How is he as a receiver out of the backfield? I like his shiftiness. Looked him up on youtube, seems like an interesting option for us.

How is he as a receiver out of the backfield? I like his shiftiness. Looked him up on youtube, seems like an interesting option for us.

He never really had to catch passes from what I saw last year. I think he had about 18 catches this past season.

He seems like a guy who has the potential to be a second round pick, but I think injuries his junior year and his size will make him drop a bit. I really hope some teams out there reach for guys like Rodgers, Murray, and Devine causing Hunter to fall a bit for us.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
If the west coast offense is to return, then we're gonna need a back that can catch like Ricky Watters or Roger Craig..

.. and that back is DeMarco Murray of Oklahoma..
Originally posted by 9moon:
If the west coast offense is to return, then we're gonna need a back that can catch like Ricky Watters or Roger Craig..

.. and that back is DeMarco Murray of Oklahoma..

Or we could just keep Westbrook and save the draft pick for another position...Murray would be great as a receiver, but I'm not sold on him as a runner at the next level.

You're right though, he would be GREAT catching passes out of the backfield
personally i think we should take a look at graig cooper. could be frank gore 2.0 in that he could wind up being steal. Could go 3rd day to undrafted but i like his upside. would pair nicely with dixon as 1-2 punch for future.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnspJ-2Jd3I]
What about a guy like Dion Lewis from Pitt? I was reading about him. Seems he broke some Tony Dorsett/LeSean McCoy freshman records. He's only 5'7, 200 though. They have him as a 6th Rounder.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664753

[ Edited by Travisty13 on Feb 10, 2011 at 16:10:59 ]

We also need a FB, and I think Havili would be perfect for us. He can run and catch out of the backfield. Of course, he would need to bulk up a bit and work on pass protection.
Originally posted by smacII:
personally i think we should take a look at graig cooper. could be frank gore 2.0 in that he could wind up being steal. Could go 3rd day to undrafted but i like his upside. would pair nicely with dixon as 1-2 punch for future.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnspJ-2Jd3I]

Nice video. I don't even know anything about him either. Where's he projected?
chad spann please.
Taiwan Jones, Eastern Washington. He's also a San Fran native.
They have him as a 4th-5th Rounder.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1708420

Here's a video to show his explosive power. Jarron Gilbert has nothing on this video.

[ Edited by Travisty13 on Feb 10, 2011 at 16:22:41 ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Share 49ersWebzone