There are 205 users in the forums

MadDog December 7 Mock

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
Maddog, who is going to be our next coach?
what is your dream staff?

Love to see a Gruden, McDaniel, Wade Phillips combo.

agree, but do we want a guy who was cheating against us?

Cheating is OK if our guy is the one that is cheating.

I think Phillips would be willing to be good DC under Gruden but I'm not sure about McDaniel. He seemed very head strong while at Denver, however getting fired in the middle of the season may have humbled him a lot. I also think his rep as an offensive mind may have been embellished a bit by good field position from that NE defense and having Tom Terrific as QB. Looking around the league, he might be the best choice. I would love to steal Shurmur from St Louis but league rules wouldn't allow that.

However, the Broncos are 11th in overall offense and 4th in passing...that's pretty darn good considering McDaniels was working with a journeyman QB and (previous to this season) mediocre/unproven WRs.

So offensively, JMc has done quite well.

I would take McDaniels as our OC without question. He isnt going to get a HC opportunity anytime soon and knows how to work with and develop quarterbacks. Makes sense to me!

That would be really awkward knowing he videotaped our practice, and McDaniels doesn't run the WCO which is very likely we'll go back to.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

I think Phillips would be willing to be good DC under Gruden but I'm not sure about McDaniel. He seemed very head strong while at Denver, however getting fired in the middle of the season may have humbled him a lot. I also think his rep as an offensive mind may have been embellished a bit by good field position from that NE defense and having Tom Terrific as QB. Looking around the league, he might be the best choice. I would love to steal Shurmur from St Louis but league rules wouldn't allow that.

However, the Broncos are 11th in overall offense and 4th in passing...that's pretty darn good considering McDaniels was working with a journeyman QB and (previous to this season) mediocre/unproven WRs.

I would take McDaniels as our OC without question. He isnt going to get a HC opportunity anytime soon and knows how to work with and develop quarterbacks. Makes sense to me!

That would be really awkward knowing he videotaped our practice, and McDaniels doesn't run the WCO which is very likely we'll go back to.

Says who? Besides, it's hard to tell different systems apart from each other nowadays...the terminology is different, but concepts/routes/approaches are all starting to blend together to where the only real distinctions are on execution and personnel.

I agree that its unlikely the Niners would hire him but I could care less about the videotaping. I just want an OC who can develop a young QB for once and has a clue on how to run an imaginative offense.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Quote:
During McDaniels’ first year as de facto offensive coordinator with the Patriots, McDaniels and quarterback Tom Brady once went three weeks without talking to each other.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/28/mcdaniels-brady-once-went-three-weeks-without-talking-in-new-england/

Sounds he has no idea how to work with QBs
Originally posted by Jcool:

Quote:
During McDaniels’ first year as de facto offensive coordinator with the Patriots, McDaniels and quarterback Tom Brady once went three weeks without talking to each other.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/28/mcdaniels-brady-once-went-three-weeks-without-talking-in-new-england/

Sounds he has no idea how to work with QBs

I wouldn't give McD any credit with Brady's performance. Tom Brady was already an elite QB without Josh's help.
so #7 would be if season ended today...reality is theres a distinct possibilty we lose out from here save the season finale vs cards. that would have us at 5-11 and a lil closer to a trade-up for luck?
This team has no QBs worth a s**t yet you pick a DL. Thats worse than picking up a CB. Id stop watching 49er football if we draft anything else but a QB in the 1st.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
This team has no QBs worth a s**t yet you pick a DL. Thats worse than picking up a CB. Id stop watching 49er football if we draft anything else but a QB in the 1st.

pretty dramatic there? draft value is huge and while we're all aware our needs, the question is beyond luck is there any other qb that truly warrants a 1st?

I agree that its unlikely the Niners would hire him but I could care less about the videotaping. I just want an OC who can develop a young QB for once and has a clue on how to run an imaginative offense.

I'll give you the imaginative offense, something we haven't had in YEARS
Originally posted by craigyboy:
so #7 would be if season ended today...reality is theres a distinct possibilty we lose out from here save the season finale vs cards. that would have us at 5-11 and a lil closer to a trade-up for luck?

Nope. I really don't think we will get any closer than possibly 5-6 if we go four wins as I see Car, Det, Cin, Buf, AZ and Den not winning anymore or maybe one at most.

That really sucks. I just don't see any one of these teams winning like the Panthers did last year, taking the last three of the season moving our pick out of the top 10.

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it. We will pick between 7-10, IMO. Still a very good place to be in this draft.

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by craigyboy:

Nope. I really don't think we will get any closer than possibly 5-6 if we go four wins as I see Car, Det, Cin, Buf, AZ and Den not winning anymore or maybe one at most.

That really sucks. I just don't see any one of these teams winning like the Panthers did last year, taking the last three of the season moving our pick out of the top 10.

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it. We will pick between 7-10, IMO. Still a very good place to be in this draft.

yeah car really stuck it to us pullin that. no doubt we'll be getting (yet again sigh) another quality top 10...
  • dj43
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
The 49ers have three HUGE needs.

QB

pass rusher

CB

This is a passing league now and no team will go very far without impact players in all three of those positions. So while QB is arguably the most important, it isn't so far ahead of the other two that it demands the team take a QB if the value is greater for a CB or pass rusher at that point.

Theyre 4th in passing more just because they have zero running game and are always playing from behind early in games. He also had Eddie Royal who Shanahan had on the same career path as Desean Jackson his rookie year and made him a total non factor in the offense.

Not even to mention the fact that he had Peyton Hillis in 2009 and had no idea what to do with him.
[ Edited by jojomellon on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:47 AM ]
the 49ers need a qb......unless number 90 from auburn is just sitting there they should trade down.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
the 49ers need a qb......unless number 90 from auburn is just sitting there they should trade down.

Gotta find someone who wants to trade up. That is always a challenge.
Share 49ersWebzone