LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 211 users in the forums

MadDog December 7 Mock

1.) Definitely agree with your first 3 picks
2.) I can't see the Cardinals passing on Mallett...they literally have NOTHING at QB
3.) Buffalo needs a CB, but they need a pass rusher first....Quinn or Clayborn here
4.) With Luck and Mallett gone, we have to go BPA; either Peterson, Prince, Blackmon or Quinn
5.) I'd take Peterson (followed by Quinn, Prince then Blackmon)
6.) We sign/trade for a veteran QB, then draft Stanzi or Kaepernick in the 2nd
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
1.) Definitely agree with your first 3 picks
2.) I can't see the Cardinals passing on Mallett...they literally have NOTHING at QB
3.) Buffalo needs a CB, but they need a pass rusher first....Quinn or Clayborn here
4.) With Luck and Mallett gone, we have to go BPA; either Peterson, Prince, Blackmon or Quinn
5.) I'd take Peterson (followed by Quinn, Prince then Blackmon)
6.) We sign/trade for a veteran QB, then draft Stanzi or Kaepernick in the 2nd

I really like Kaepernick. He's quite an athlete. And real tall too.
No way! Go after Prince! Have you not seen our DB's attempt to cover a WR? Then pick up Stanzi in the second round.
Maddog, who is going to be our next coach?
what is your dream staff?
Originally posted by backontop:
No way! Go after Prince! Have you not seen our DB's attempt to cover a WR? Then pick up Stanzi in the second round.
have you not seen our pass-rushers attempt to rush the opp QB? yeah, right, we dont have any elite pass-rush at all...as long we dont have any pass-rush, our DBs will be burnt again and again.
Originally posted by communist:
have you not seen our pass-rushers attempt to rush the opp QB? yeah, right, we dont have any elite pass-rush at all...as long we dont have any pass-rush, our DBs will be burnt again and again.

the lack of pass rush has nothing to do with our DB's biting on double moves, sitting deeper than the safeties, lack of turning and looking for the ball (Clements should have had an INT in GB if he would have turned around). Just flat out get better DB's. Draft Prince.

the lack of pass rush has nothing to do with our DB's biting on double moves, sitting deeper than the safeties, lack of turning and looking for the ball (Clements should have had an INT in GB if he would have turned around). Just flat out get better DB's. Draft Prince.
if we would have a better pass-rush, we didnt have to watch how our DBs are burner on every play. the pass defense begins in the trenches. if i have to choose between a pass-rusher and DB, i would go for a pass-rusher unless the DB is a sure thing...and like i read, not every guy is that sold on prince.

if we would have a better pass-rush, we didnt have to watch how our DBs are burner on every play. the pass defense begins in the trenches. if i have to choose between a pass-rusher and DB, i would go for a pass-rusher unless the DB is a sure thing...and like i read, not every guy is that sold on prince.

the 49ers do not have a problem creating pressure on the QB. The problem is bring the b*****d down when you get to him or containing him so he can't escape the pocket.

the 49ers do not have a problem creating pressure on the QB. The problem is bring the b*****d down when you get to him or containing him so he can't escape the pocket.
there we differ...i think that we do have a bad pass-rush and usually dont create any sufficient pressure.
MD - Have your really watched Stephen Paea? I ask because I see a DT that, while very good, can't be more than 280 lbs. I also have seen draft sites having him at 300-310 lbs. No way... He looks like he will have to play in a Tampa 2 defense or just get off of the DL altogether.

your thoughts?

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
what would option 2 and 3 be?

I would say that the team might be blown away with Prince's workout, or Justin Blackmon (if he comes out).

Two names to keep in mind. I think two of the shock picks in this draft will be Oregon State DT Stephen Paea and Maryland WR Torrey Smith (if he comes out).

Smith is going to be the second or third WR to be selected, and will go before Julio Jones. Smith is a better WR prospect than former Terps WR Heyward-Bey, and will clock the fastest time of any WR at the combine. Expect a meteoric rise.

Paea is a 310 pound DT who will be the fastest (I expect an eye opening 4.92 forty) and most athletic DT at the combine. I will be shocked if he is not a top 12 pick. So fast, athletic, smooth on the field. Compared to some of the other DT at the combine, he is going to look like a linebacker in agility. Just like Smith, expect him to go much higher than currently listed in mock drafts. He was superb against Oregon. One of the best performances by any DT this season, against a very good team.

Derek Sherrod will emerge as the top OT in the draft. It will all sort itself out eventually, but I project him as the first off the board. The Niners seem set at OT, but he is one to keep an eye out as the draft nears.

So, don't be shocked if either one of these guys is wearing Niners gear in 2011.

That is a bold statement saying that Torry Smith (Who reminds me of Lee Evans), will go before Julio Jones (who reminds me of Andre Johnson). I seriously doubt that any team will reach ahead of Jones for Smith.

True it starts in the trenches but if they are still playing the 3-4, a DE isn't gonna be creating that much pass rush to begin with. And b/c everybody isn't sold on a guy doesn't mean he's not gonna pan out. Everybody wasn't sold on Bradford last year. Every pick is a gamble.
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM ]
If we were in a 4-3, I wouldnt mind too much although Prince and a QB is more of a priority at this point.
I would love to see us draft Clayborn. I have said this before and will say it again, he is a Justin Smith like player who wont put up huge numbers, but will make every other player around him better, and has a motor that doesn't stop.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Where do you have Robert Quinn going? How about J.J. Watt if he were to declare?

I have them going in opposite directions, Quinn going down and Watt going up the board. Quinn's stock is really going to based on his workouts and interviews. If he performs well as both, there is no reason to believe he would fall out of the first 15 picks. If he doesn't, we may see a fall into the latter portions of the first round or beyond.

On the flip side, Watt has been one of the great risers this year. He's very big and athletic, and can play the 4-3 and 3-4. A lot of upside. To me, he's a late first rounder, but things can change. We'll soon see.
Share 49ersWebzone