There are 215 users in the forums

Jake Locker...Alex Smith 2.0?

Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by spizzy:
First off, there is no physical comparison. Alex was 210 soaking wet when he came out, Locker is a Tebow-esque 230. He's huge.

Arm Strength= Locker by far
Accuracy= Smith
Athleticism= Locker by far

Locker is in his 2nd year under a pro-style. Smith came out with 3 years in an Urban Meyer spread option offense.

There's nothing to compare

This. Except accuracy where I would say Locker is good. Alex can be good and can be inconsistent with accuracy.

Alex is pretty accurate right now, I doubt Locker will ever reach this level.

lol wut?

Well lets at least give Locker 6 years to do it, if that's the case.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
First off, there is no physical comparison. Alex was 210 soaking wet when he came out, Locker is a Tebow-esque 230. He's huge.

Accuracy= Smith

Locker is in his 2nd year under a pro-style. Smith came out with 3 years in an Urban Meyer spread option offense.

This. Except accuracy where I would say Locker is good. Alex can be good and can be inconsistent with accuracy.

lol wut?

Exactly. I admit to not seeing much of Locker, but if Alex Smith has better accuracy, then I don't know how Locker is even gonna get drafted in the first 3 rounds

Accuracy= Smith

Which games are you watching? While I haven't seen Locker play, Smith sure as h**l isn't "pretty accurate", especially on the deep throws
Locker seems like a better Josh Freeman, a big guy who is hard to sack. If we can't get Luck this year Locker would be a great consolation prize.

Accuracy= Smith

W.T.F.
Originally posted by asakkings:
Locker seems like a better Josh Freeman, a big guy who is hard to sack. If we can't get Luck this year Locker would be a great consolation prize.

The difference is in the pros Freeman has received great coaching. Most likely won't be the case when (insert QB name here) gets drafted by us.
Jake Locker = Jake Plummer 2.0 (with a stronger arm).
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Has there ever been a prospect like him? What i mean is that everyone says he could be the top pick in the draft, yet his team doesn't win (say what you will about talent around him, but the QB is the most important player to determine wins/losses) and he makes a lot of mistakes. I've seen first round picks with this kind of background but never a consensus #1 overall pick.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Has there ever been a prospect like him? What i mean is that everyone says he could be the top pick in the draft, yet his team doesn't win (say what you will about talent around him, but the QB is the most important player to determine wins/losses) and he makes a lot of mistakes. I've seen first round picks with this kind of background but never a consensus #1 overall pick.

Cutler had a very weak supporting cast, but stole a few wins with his play
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Cutler had a very weak supporting cast, but stole a few wins with his play

But he was never considered the top QB let alone the top overall prospect.

The thing that scouts had been looking at are his skills as a QB. Strong arm, mobile in the pocket, ability to run and break tackles, two seasons under a pro-style offense. But of course, he still has a lot to learn. The importance of having a better surrounding cast is taken pretty lightly. If the kid shows he's got the stuff, then a team will take a chance on him. Washington's o-line doesn't do a great job pass blocking (more of a run blocking line) and his receivers tend to drop passes. That's huge when you're thinking about Locker's stats too.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:

The thing that scouts had been looking at are his skills as a QB. Strong arm, mobile in the pocket, ability to run and break tackles, two seasons under a pro-style offense. But of course, he still has a lot to learn. The importance of having a better surrounding cast is taken pretty lightly. If the kid shows he's got the stuff, then a team will take a chance on him. Washington's o-line doesn't do a great job pass blocking (more of a run blocking line) and his receivers tend to drop passes. That's huge when you're thinking about Locker's stats too.

But if he struggles with an average team in college what will he do on a bad pro team

But if he struggles with an average team in college what will he do on a bad pro team
losing, like every good quarterback rookie...every quarterback needs some weapons and bodyguards. look at the lions or the bucs.

Unfortunately, if he gets drafted by a bad pro team, he'll probably suck as well. Just like any other pro QB. McNabb hasn't looked good with the Redskins. However, if Locker gets drafted by a team with an offensive minder HC or at least a legit OC, and he has weapons around him as well as a decent O-Line, he'll do just fine.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Unfortunately, if he gets drafted by a bad pro team, he'll probably suck as well. Just like any other pro QB. McNabb hasn't looked good with the Redskins. However, if Locker gets drafted by a team with an offensive minder HC or at least a legit OC, and he has weapons around him as well as a decent O-Line, he'll do just fine.

I think whichever of the top QB's gets drafted by the 49ers won't be in a bad situation really.

I mean, we will have a new coach, preferably an experienced one, he will have nice weapons in Gore, Vernon and Crabtree, o-line will be ok with more experienced (especially Iupati and Davis). Will have a pretty good defense to back him up too.
Share 49ersWebzone