There are 169 users in the forums

Jake Locker...Alex Smith 2.0?

Hear me out.

Locker 6-3'' 230

Smith 6'4'' 220

Both succeeded in the spread.
Both struggle when the transitioned to pro style with reads and throws (Alex in the pros, Locker this season at Washington.)
Both are athletic and can run a bit.
Both have decent arm strength.
Both aren't the most accurate quarterbacks.
Both get happy feet in the pocket.

I liked Locker coming into the year but he's had some bad games especially against Nebraska which has many potential pro's on defense.

For the record I'd rather have him than Mallet. I think he's fooling everyone and I believe he proved it against Bama, but I really don't want the 49ers to take other spread guy if we take a QB in the first and I think it's Andrew Luck or sign a free agent.

[ Edited by Sjceruti on Oct 11, 2010 at 08:31:19 ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Alex Smith had no experience under a pro style offense in college. This is not a comparison.
I think Jake Locker is more of a gunslinger and will take chances with his strong arm. Alex Smith is more of a game manager and doesn't want to make any mistakes. I really can't blame Locker's performance against Nebraska. Nebraska is one of the best defenses in the nation.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I think Jake Locker is more of a gunslinger and will take chances with his strong arm. Alex Smith is more of a game manager and doesn't want to make any mistakes. I really can't blame Locker's performance against Nebraska. Nebraska is one of the best defenses in the nation.
i think that about 99% of the members here saw locker playing for the first time in that nebraska game...so its useless to argue about him.
Originally posted by communist:
i think that about 99% of the members here saw locker playing for the first time in that nebraska game...so its useless to argue about him.

I feel bad because Locker is a real good talent, but with his s**tty squad in Washington, people just take a hit on his stock. I'll wait until the Senior Bowl to really make a decision on him. However, it would be nice if he could continue to play the way he did against USC for the rest of the season.
Originally posted by communist:

I feel bad because Locker is a real good talent, but with his s**tty squad in Washington, people just take a hit on his stock. I'll wait until the Senior Bowl to really make a decision on him. However, it would be nice if he could continue to play the way he did against USC for the rest of the season.
if he should play the whole season like he did against the usc, and luck stays at stanford, we wont get locker...dont think that we will end up worse than the bills...except if the bills do another stupid move in the 1st in back-to-back years.
First off, there is no physical comparison. Alex was 210 soaking wet when he came out, Locker is a Tebow-esque 230. He's huge.

Arm Strength= Locker by far
Accuracy= Smith
Athleticism= Locker by far

Locker is in his 2nd year under a pro-style. Smith came out with 3 years in an Urban Meyer spread option offense.

There's nothing to compare
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by spizzy:
First off, there is no physical comparison. Alex was 210 soaking wet when he came out, Locker is a Tebow-esque 230. He's huge.

Accuracy= Smith

Locker is in his 2nd year under a pro-style. Smith came out with 3 years in an Urban Meyer spread option offense.

This. Except accuracy where I would say Locker is good. Alex can be good and can be inconsistent with accuracy.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Accuracy= Smith

This. Except accuracy where I would say Locker is good. Alex can be good and can be inconsistent with accuracy.

Alex is pretty accurate right now, I doubt Locker will ever reach this level.
  • titan
  • Veteran
If Smith was in college this year with the exact same performance he did prior to coming out, he would be rated#1 QB. There is no QB performance and consistency that equals Alex Smith last year in Utah.
It's one of those years where you have developmental (with high upside) vs safe pick.

The developmental player ALMOST always goes to a s**tty team incapable of developing him, while the safe-pick goes to a better team that lets him either ride the bench, or puts him immediately into a system he can succeed within.

Originally posted by binary2nd:

Accuracy= Smith

Lol

Originally posted by binary2nd:

Accuracy= Smith

lol wut?
Share 49ersWebzone