LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 423 users in the forums

Kiper's grades are in

Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
Kiper is spot on.

I don't know how you think this draft deserved higher than a B.

Kiper is a moron. he got all butthurt that we made him look dumb by passing on Clausen twice. he pronounced Clausen as the second coming for a long time, and looked like a moron on draft day when everyone was passing on him left and right for DT's and TE.

we got the two OL we wanted, and have now likely fixed our league worst OL. now maybe we'll actually have a winning season.

didnt care for the Mays pick, but he was the best S left at pick 49, and its possible the holes in his game came from the style of player Carroll coached him to be to fit their scheme. now he has some elite players in front of him, maybe he turns out to be a good NFL SS.

both ESPN and NFL Networks draft crews were retarded though. right before we picked Mays, they were like "lets see who the Niners pick here...Colt McCoy? it could be."

after they said that, i wanted to punch someone. they get paid to sit up there and have a general idea about what each team needs and is looking to add. the 49ers clearly werent going the QB route, and if we didnt want Clausen, why would we want that undersized McCoy? his NFL career will be little better than Jason White.
We've gotten A's from him before, and we still sucked. His grades don't mean a thing.
How does this work...do we go to the playoffs with a B or did we need to get an A?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Sportsline.com

San Francisco 49ers

Best pick: Guard Mike Iupati was a nice pick with the 17th choice in the first round. He is a tough guy who will help the run game.

Questionable move: Taking safety Taylor Mays in the second round. I think he lacks cover skills that will show up in the NFL.

Third-day gem: I like running back Anthony Dixon, who was taken in the sixth round. He was a productive runner at Mississippi State.

Analysis: They landed two good offensive linemen with their first two picks, with Anthony Davis going first. I like that, but they took Mays too high, which drops the grade down.

Grade: B
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
We've gotten A's from him before, and we still sucked. His grades don't mean a thing.

In 2005, the Bear got an A from Kiper for getting Benson and receiver Mark Bradley. While Benson is doing all right now, he wasn't much help to the Bears. Kiper gave the Lions a C+, mostly on the strength of them drafting Mike Willaims, "who was clearly the best player available at 10." The poor Patriots only got a C that year from Kiper. Their picks included Logan Mandkins, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur and Matt Cassel.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:http://tyduffy.com/2009/03/04/looking-back-mel-kipers-2005-nfl-draft-grades/
Kiper giving the Cards a B+ is funny. Dan Williams I'll give them. But Daryll Washington seems undersized in a 3-4; more of a 4-3 Will or Tampa 2 Mike. And that receiver they drafted from The Citadel in the 3rd.....snooze. Seems very high for a developmental slot receiver. Schofield is a project. Skelton is fine. I'd say an average draft here.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Kiper is spot on.

Kiper is a moron. he got all butthurt that we made him look dumb by passing on Clausen twice. he pronounced Clausen as the second coming for a long time, and looked like a moron on draft day when everyone was passing on him left and right for DT's and TE.

we got the two OL we wanted, and have now likely fixed our league worst OL. now maybe we'll actually have a winning season.

didnt care for the Mays pick, but he was the best S left at pick 49, and its possible the holes in his game came from the style of player Carroll coached him to be to fit their scheme. now he has some elite players in front of him, maybe he turns out to be a good NFL SS.

both ESPN and NFL Networks draft crews were retarded though. right before we picked Mays, they were like "lets see who the Niners pick here...Colt McCoy? it could be."

after they said that, i wanted to punch someone. they get paid to sit up there and have a general idea about what each team needs and is looking to add. the 49ers clearly werent going the QB route, and if we didnt want Clausen, why would we want that undersized McCoy? his NFL career will be little better than Jason White.

I don't know why anybody insists on giving grades for a draft that happened less than 24 hours ago......If Kiper or anybody want o hand out draft grades then give them for 2004, atleast we have a good idea about those. You could give an F to a team that just drafted two hall of famers.....how do people like him still have a job?
Brethren of the Zone, Forget about everyone's opinion or grading system (ABCF) on this 2010 Draft. It won't win us a Superbowl. So, just be happy for what we have now & CELEBRATE!!! Cause later on we've got some work to do...
[ Edited by Quitugua on Apr 25, 2010 at 12:03 AM ]
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Kiper giving the Cards a B+ is funny. Dan Williams I'll give them. But Daryll Washington seems undersized in a 3-4; more of a 4-3 Will or Tampa 2 Mike. And that receiver they drafted from The Citadel in the 3rd.....snooze. Seems very high for a developmental slot receiver. Schofield is a project. Skelton is fine. I'd say an average draft here.

I actually think their draft sucked. They started off strong with Dan Williams, but then they fizzled out by picking Washington who I don't think can play in their 3-4 and then Schofield won't play for a year or 2 because of the knee injury, and Andre Roberts from the Citadel doesn't really impress me. Not sure what makes him a whole lot better than our own Kyle Williams who had similar production this year and blazed a 4.3 40 at his pro day. Skelton is fine but he's not going to help them out immediately or anything. I don't know if he'll ever either play for them. Either Leinart wins the job and does well or sucks, or Anderson wins and does well or sucks, and if neither guy does well they'll just draft a QB next year while Skelton sits on the bench. I'd give them a C- personally.

Kiper is spot on.

Agreed.

I wouldn't call this draft a home run, it was a solid draft at the top but the latter picks have me scratching my head.

-9fA
Originally posted by jrg:
Sportsline.com

San Francisco 49ers

Best pick: Guard Mike Iupati was a nice pick with the 17th choice in the first round. He is a tough guy who will help the run game.

Questionable move: Taking safety Taylor Mays in the second round. I think he lacks cover skills that will show up in the NFL.

Third-day gem: I like running back Anthony Dixon, who was taken in the sixth round. He was a productive runner at Mississippi State.

Analysis: They landed two good offensive linemen with their first two picks, with Anthony Davis going first. I like that, but they took Mays too high, which drops the grade down.

Grade: B

How did we take Mays too high? I understand the criticisms, but he is worth #49 based on size and speed alone. As Ronnie Lott said the other day, you can't teach speed. You can teach him to tackle properly, you can help him learn proper angles, he may never be great at reading where to be in coverage, but again he is worth #49 based on the potential alone.
Originally posted by CHAMBAZ:
Who the hell is Mel Kiper Jr.?

Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

I understand the Seattle lovefest, but how does Arizona get rated higher than us?
perhaps because they got a big steal with dan williams in the first? daryl washington isnt bad...andre roberts is ok and schofield could be another steal.

whats your problem with grading drafts directly after the draft was closed??? thats a status-quo grade...3-4 years later you can re-grade...my favorite mock site does that.
[ Edited by communist on Apr 25, 2010 at 6:35 AM ]
  • TheCancerMan
  • Info N/A
Kiper's "grades" mean about as much as the lint I pull out of my belly button.
Share 49ersWebzone