There are 616 users in the forums
Better pick at safety?
Browse 49ers books and videos
Better pick at safety?
Apr 11, 2010 at 10:05 AM
- Superbowl09
- Veteran
- Posts: 648
No insight or opinions as to why you voted for who you voted for??
Apr 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM
- irishluder
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,356
I went with Earl Thomas, he is a ball hawking FS that has good instincts and will improve one of our weakest areas on defense. He doesn't need to have the size because we have Dashon Goldson to play in the box. Dashon also has pretty good hands so QB's will have to respect us.
Apr 11, 2010 at 12:38 PM
- MadDog49er
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 19,400
Allen. The best cover safety in the draft. I see Thomas being moved to CB.
Apr 11, 2010 at 8:29 PM
- Draftology
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,168
I wouldn't want to trade up for Allen or give up one of our mid first round picks and trade back for him. I'm not sold on Jones, so I've gotta go with Earl Thomas, only @ 17 though, and I think he'll be there.
Apr 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM
- OnTheClock
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 38,572
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Allen. The best cover safety in the draft. I see Thomas being moved to CB.
Same. But if Allen is not available, I'd still take Jones over Thomas.
Apr 11, 2010 at 10:38 PM
- DesiDez
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,678
I'm in the minority but I'm pretty comfortable with our safety situation right now.
So I'm comfortable that I wouldn't consider drafting S in the first two rounds unless Eric Berry fell to #13 like the Crabtree situation last year.
I really like Reggie Smith and still think they're grooming him to replace Lewis. The problem is that Michael Lewis doesn't suck like Mark Roman so its pretty hard to unseat the veteran. His concussion history though worries me.
Plus, this safety class is pretty deep.
As far as the topic is concerned, I went with Nate Allen.
So I'm comfortable that I wouldn't consider drafting S in the first two rounds unless Eric Berry fell to #13 like the Crabtree situation last year.
I really like Reggie Smith and still think they're grooming him to replace Lewis. The problem is that Michael Lewis doesn't suck like Mark Roman so its pretty hard to unseat the veteran. His concussion history though worries me.
Plus, this safety class is pretty deep.
As far as the topic is concerned, I went with Nate Allen.
Apr 12, 2010 at 1:44 AM
- Kolohe
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 67,089
Morgan Burnett or Nate Allen in the 2nd. Shoot I bet one of them sneak into the ending of the 1st round. We actually couldn't go wrong with a deep Safety class this year, I think I'll be happy with pretty much any Safety we select.
Eric Berry
Morgan Burnett
Nate Allen
Earl Thomas
Reshad Jones
Chad Jones
Robert Johnson
Major Wright
Taylor Mays
And I also hope Reggie Smith gets more of a shot to play now that Mark Roman is gone.
Eric Berry
Morgan Burnett
Nate Allen
Earl Thomas
Reshad Jones
Chad Jones
Robert Johnson
Major Wright
Taylor Mays
And I also hope Reggie Smith gets more of a shot to play now that Mark Roman is gone.
Apr 12, 2010 at 5:46 AM
- kstolai
- Veteran
- Posts: 11,313
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Allen. The best cover safety in the draft. I see Thomas being moved to CB.
Apr 12, 2010 at 6:35 AM
- Superbowl09
- Veteran
- Posts: 648
Originally posted by OnTheClock:Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Allen. The best cover safety in the draft. I see Thomas being moved to CB.
Same. But if Allen is not available, I'd still take Jones over Thomas.
I voted for Thomas because of his ability to play CB. I still think there is a chance that Reggie Smith can become a starting safety, and if he does then Thomas can move to corner. But if he doesn't, or if he takes a season or two to do so, then Thomas can stay at safety.
By the way, how much better of a cover safety do you think Allen is compared to Thomas? And if he is better, why is he not seen as a high to mid-first round prospect like Thomas is?
Apr 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM
- mebemused
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,027
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Morgan Burnett or Nate Allen in the 2nd. Shoot I bet one of them sneak into the ending of the 1st round. We actually couldn't go wrong with a deep Safety class this year, I think I'll be happy with pretty much any Safety we select.
Eric Berry
Morgan Burnett
Nate Allen
Earl Thomas
Reshad Jones
Chad Jones
Robert Johnson
Major Wright
Taylor Mays
And I also hope Reggie Smith gets more of a shot to play now that Mark Roman is gone.
+1
If we are lucky we will get a chance to trade down in the first and that latter second round pick would be a good time to pick up a safety. In terms of a value board, I wouldn't take any of these at #49. Too early:
Morgan Burnett
Nate Allen
Reshad Jones
Chad Jones
Robert Johnson
Major Wright
Apr 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM
- dman
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,453
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Allen. The best cover safety in the draft. I see Thomas being moved to CB.
Apr 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM
- tohara3
- Veteran
- Posts: 30,814
I would be very happy with drafting Nate Allen & his teammate Jerome Murphy in the 3rd round