LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 215 users in the forums

first ever mock

Okay, I've been reading this board for 3 years now and finally stepped up to try my hand at a mock. A few thoughts to begin with. I'm one of those people who fall into the "trenchs are where teams win or lose games". Having said that, I believe our biggest need is that we have to solidify the left tackle position to be able to open up holes for Frank and pass protect for Alex. I know we had a decent sack total last year but watching every game it was evident that we could not get any pressure when it mattered the most, i.e. needing to get the ball back to the offense for one last chance at scoring or stopping the other team from marching down the field and scoring the go ahead points! So, here are thoughts without free agency, which is now up in the air with our GM problem.

1.) Trent Williams (OT): If not, then I think Brian Buluga or Bruce Campbell will be there for us.
1a.) Carlos Dunlap (DE/OLB): Huge potential as a pass rush machine and Sing can bring this kid around mentally like he did with Vernon.
2.) Kareem Jackson (CB): has the size and speed we need.
3.) Jon Asamoah (OG): Long arms and size is a perferct fit and fills out the oline.
4.) Kam Chancellor (FS): Good tackler with big hit abilities.
5.) Brandon Banks (WR/KR): Don't know if he makes it this far down but a fantistic returner with quickness and speed to burn!
6.) Jason Beauchamp (OLB): Tweener but has potential
6a.) Comp pick I believe: Jeff Beyers (OG/C): injuries held him back at USC but is very intelligent and I believe will move to center for us.
7.) Stafon Johnson (RB): His major weightlifting injury hurt is draft stock but has shown great heart in coming back and has good potential at this point.

Let me have it! Can't wait for the games to begin. Go Niners
I haven't heard Dunlap mentioned much here, but the more I think about it, it may be a possibility as he may slide there and Sing will want to fix him as he is inclined to do. I also like Chancellor or another Safety in the 4th (Rolle maybe). Overall good mock I think.
You are reaching on dunlap and you have Asamoah falling way to far. Not very realistic IMO. I`d rather take Graham over dunlap.

[ Edited by Dominate on Mar 27, 2010 at 11:14:28 ]
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Not too high on Dunlap especially at 17.

He's too big to play OLB - I'd rather go with B. Graham.
Welcome Noob...

Now drop and give me 20!!

Pretty good mock. I would be happy with this outcome although personally I don't like Dunlop or any guys with character issues, but we have turned a few guys around. I would prefer a guy like Odrick if we were looking for a DE or Graham if we were looking for a WILL.
Replace Dunlap with Graham and you have a draft
Originally posted by eastbay49er:

I think we already have a player like Graham with Brooks stepping up his game last year. I know Graham is listed as a DE and Brooks OLB but very similar in my opinion. Is there anyone on our team that has the size and speed that Dunlap can bring.
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:

Agree
Pretty good for your first mock...they're not easy, huh. I'd take one of the other OT's over Williams. Yes, RT is the big need, but Singletary has made it known any OT he drafts must have LT ability. Trent's experience at LT left a lot to be desired, especially in pass protection...so, if the other top guys are gone, I'd have no problem if Singletary/Baalke reached slightly to get Charles Brown at #17. They could take him at #13, but that would depend on whether Haden or Spiller was available. My best case scenario: draft Brown and Iupati. Those two studs would give Solari & Ray Brown something to really work with, and establish a young corps of OL for now and the future. It's an investment that's long overdue and this is a golden opportunity to do it. I like the Kareem Jackson pick...because CB is more critical than S...and Clements will most likely play his last season in SF this year. If they take Iupati in 1st, then they can go DE/OLB/RB in 3rd. Chancellor wouldn't be bad in 4th, but they may also consider Rolle or Robert Johnson. Picks 5-7 are mostly for OL/DL/LB secondary depth.
  • willworkforbecky
  • Info N/A
Trent Williams won't be there and the thought of just drafting the next guy up is a very bad one. It's like saying Yeah I don't really want this guy but he's a RT and we need a RT. Khwami Harris was a 1st round tackle too.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:

Agree

i agree with you, we would be love to draft with B. Graham. he looks like a damn strong for football player!
Not a bad draft for a first mock, though I'm not a big fan of Dunlap, he does pose a unique player that could pose problems for any defense.

Not really an OLB, just an athletic DE, similar to a Richard Seymour type, which of course would be well welcomed to this team. I think his character issues won't be as bad as ppl say. If he is BPA, we'll take him.

All the other picks are sound, and I personally like the Chancellor pick up, will be a great SS project. Great job!
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by eastbay49er:

I think we already have a player like Graham with Brooks stepping up his game last year. I know Graham is listed as a DE and Brooks OLB but very similar in my opinion. Is there anyone on our team that has the size and speed that Dunlap can bring.

Im not sold on Brooks, he ONE good game against Arizona where he had 3 of 6 sacks on the season. Graham is a solid player with a non stop motor and has been tearing up the Senior Bowl and the Combine. Dunlap has been know to take plays off and has been dropping down boards for months
Not awful for a newbie, but not terribly realistic, I'd say.

Astronomically too high for Banks, a guy who is incredibly small (5' 6.5" 149) and has had troubles with the law.
Share 49ersWebzone