There are 234 users in the forums

Eric Berry can fall to number 13. Here's how

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by LilAzn9er:
Originally posted by smileyman:
Don't mind it...but not realistic

Be specific. Which parts aren't realistic. Every one of those picks addresses a need for their team and is the best player available at that spot for them.

Berry falling that far? Highly unlikely. Eric Berry is considered the 3rd best prospect overall by ESPN's McShay and Kiper. Browns to select Haden over Berry? Berry can play corner if needed. Plus, the Chiefs are very high on him and already have Glenn Dorsey as their DT.

I know that you think Berry falling that far is unrealistic. Are the Chiefs going to pass on one of the two top rated defensive linemen to get a safety and then have to pay that safety #3 money? I highly doubt it.

If your only argument is that Berry is rated #3 overall that won't fly with me. Even though he may be the #3 college football player the NFL places different needs on different positions. It's why you see QBs go before they should and why offensive tackles are taken higher than they should be. It's also why you see CBs drafted before safeties.

I also have access to ESPN sider and know what McShay and Kiper have on their rankings, but those rankings don't translate to draft picks.

Be specific. Which parts aren't realistic. Every one of those picks addresses a need for their team and is the best player available at that spot for them.

Berry falling that far? Highly unlikely. Eric Berry is considered the 3rd best prospect overall by ESPN's McShay and Kiper. Browns to select Haden over Berry? Berry can play corner if needed. Plus, the Chiefs are very high on him and already have Glenn Dorsey as their DT.

Crabtree was the 2nd best rated player, but berry doesnt have any injury concerns coming into the draft, could we get lucky 2 years in a row
I think this can happen but I think Raiders will take Bruce Campbell, leaving JPP for Jacksonville who had a horrible pass rush last year.
DBs report tomorrow at the Combine. We'll see what happens there before we talk about Berry dropping.
  • delawareniner
  • Info N/A
sorry man ....BUT the chiefs will not pick McCoy even if he falls that far and I think he may.

if they did , that would make 3 straight drafts where they spent a 1st round pick on the D-LINE. sorry, but no way. they take berry or possibly an OT which might seem more realistic then McCoy
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by delawareniner:
sorry man ....BUT the chiefs will not pick McCoy even if he falls that far and I think he may.

if they did , that would make 3 straight drafts where they spent a 1st round pick on the D-LINE. sorry, but no way. they take berry or possibly an OT which might seem more realistic then McCoy

OT would work too.
McCloughan passes on Berry, because he doesn't want to use that high a pick on a safety and he thinks we are OK with the personnel we have.

He finally crumbles under pressure from Sing and Solari and drafts Bulaga at RT instead of finding another injured FA.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by asakkings:
I think this can happen but I think Raiders will take Bruce Campbell, leaving JPP for Jacksonville who had a horrible pass rush last year.

Well he certainly helped himself with his combine. He's a guy that you pick for his potential rather than what he's actually done on the field.
I seriously doubt it, someone would move up to get him if he fell past Seattle at 6 and I could see Cleveland taking him at 7 if that happend.
  • LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A

I know that you think Berry falling that far is unrealistic. Are the Chiefs going to pass on one of the two top rated defensive linemen to get a safety and then have to pay that safety #3 money? I highly doubt it.

If your only argument is that Berry is rated #3 overall that won't fly with me. Even though he may be the #3 college football player the NFL places different needs on different positions. It's why you see QBs go before they should and why offensive tackles are taken higher than they should be. It's also why you see CBs drafted before safeties.

I also have access to ESPN sider and know what McShay and Kiper have on their rankings, but those rankings don't translate to draft picks.

Your draft philosophy is whack. One of the fundamentals of drafting is draft the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE! As long as the team feels that the player can be a stud for you then they will pay the money regardless of the position. We picked VD at #6 and at the time it is high for a TE, but it didn't stop us. If Berry can be the next Polamalu or Ed Reed then teams will NO DOUBT pay top 3 money. Like I said before, I do not mind if something funky happens and he falls to us. I bet you the majority of this forum agrees.

Berry and Spiller. Then Ducasse (sp?), Norwood, and a guard. That's the scenario I'm hoping like hell for.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Berry and Spiller. Then Ducasse (sp?), Norwood, and a guard. That's the scenario I'm hoping like hell for.

goodluck
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
1. Rams
Sam Bradford (QB). Three of their last four first round picks have been defensive linemen. They've already got big money tied up there. They need a QB of the future and there won't be any available for them in free agency. They've said they've got four guys on their board they're looking at. If I had to guess those guys would be Suh, McCoy, Bradford and Okung.

2. Detroit Lions
Russell Okung (OT)
Reports out of Indianopolis say that the Lions have become enamored of Okung. They have a huge investment in Matt Stafford and they want to keep him protected. They do like Backus still, but by picking up Okung it allows them to slide the older Backus inside to LG, killing two birds with one stone.

3. Tampa Bay
Ndamukong Suh. The Buccaneers are shocked that they are able to grab one of the best prospects in years. They have a decent pass defense so grabbing Berry isn't really in the cards for them, but their defensive line is horrid.

4. Washington Redskins
Anthony Davis (OT)
The Redskins seem like they're going to stick with Campbell for at least one more year. They offered him a RFA tender over the weekend. They need someone to protect him and to bolster their offensive line so they grab Davis.

5. Kansas City
Gerald McCoy (DT)
Kansas City loves that McCoy has fallen into their laps at number 5. They grab him here instead of overpaying for a safety.

6. Seattle Seahawks
Jimmy Clausen (QB)
The Seahawks need a QBOTF. Hasselbeck is getting old and run down and Seneca Wallace is no more than a backup. By drafting Clausen now they can let him sit for a year or two to learn the system and get comfortable.

7. Cleveland Browns
Joe Haden (CB)
Browns are in far more need of a CB than a safety. Haden is the best CB on the board so they grab him

8. Oakland Raiders
John Pierre Paul
Rated as one of the best DE on Mayock's board. The Raiders have a horrid defensive line and he fills a need for them.

9. Buffalo Bills
Trent Williams (OT)
Poor Bills. Their RT retired at the age of 26, they have no LT, no QB, no WRs. They're switching to a 3-4 so they have to find OLBs and a NT. Tackle is their biggest need so they grab Trent Williams who had a really good combine. His natural spot is at RT, so if he can't make it at LT they can always slide him over.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars
Dez Bryant (WR)
Jaguars have no offensive weapons. They had Torry Holt is 33 and was just released. Sims-Walker is in his second year and runs hot and cold Bryant will provide a threat on the other side of the ball. Tim Tebow is another obvious option for them since he grew up there and would instantly sell tickets, something the franchise desperately needs.

11. Denver Broncos
Rolando McClain (LB)
McClain is still a perfect fit for their system.

12. Miami Dolphins.
Brandan Graham (OLB)
They need a WR but Parcells has never drafted a WR in the first round. With the impending release of Porter they'll need someone to step in. Rumor is that they're heavily pursuing Dansby, but even if they get him they still need help at OLB. Graham is a monster of a player and the best OLB in the draft.

13. San Francisco 49ers
Eric Berry (S)
Berry provides an immediate upgrade in the secondary.

5 reasons this is unrealistic:
1. NO WAY Kansas City passes on Berry if he is on the board and Okung is gone. KC has drafted Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson 4 and 3 respectively the last two drafts. They would not have the most expensive 3-4 d-line in the league and still not have a true NT. Never going to happen. Its Okung, Berry or bust for KC in round one.

2. Seatle WILL NOT TAKE Jimmy Claussen. If Bradford is there, which he wont be, the Seahawks will take him but Claussen wont work out until his pro day and with so many players on the board better then him no way Carrol reaches hear just to say he got a QB. Look for Carrol to wait one more year until Locker is ready from UW. Remember where the Seahawks play and who Locker's head coach use to work for.

3. If by some miracle the top 6 play out like you say why would Cleveland take Joe Haden over Eric Berry? Berry is the better talent, could possibly be a corner/saftey and after Haden runs a slow 40 yard dash you may see him start to slide and the kid from Texas jump higher on draft boards. At the end of the day I still think he goes top ten but if Eric Berry is on the board you don't pick a different DB over him. Also doesnt Clevelands starting saftey have a history of concussions?

4. Al Davis picks number 8. Its been more then 2 years since he drafted a saftey so I think he is due lol. Especially after Berry runs the 40 lol. Need I say more? No matter what if Eric Berry is there Al Davis will take him.

5. Jacksonville has admitted they are trying to trade down. Someone will jump up to 10 and draft Eric Berry for pure value alone if he is still there 10. Maybe it is our beloved 49ers but that would be the only way we get Eric Berry.

Seriously I know Crabs falling to us last year got everyone excited but Berry is a stud on tape, in interviews so far, and during work outs at the combine. What is your reasoning for him actually sliding other then wishful thinking because Crabs fell? Crabs had a lot of reasons to fall:
1. Foot injury
2. No work outs to disprove perception of no beak away speed
3. Parker was his agent lol
4. 4 legit OT's and 2 QB's drafted in first 8 picks
5. Labeled a Diva by some scouts and coaches
Just not the same.

Don't mean to interject but I highly doubt the Kansas City Chiefs will spend a top 5 pick on a DL 3 years in a row. Not saying they are bad players but it makes no sense to put so much money into 1 unit of a team. Impossible. They will look for a OT to protect their huge investment of Cassel.
Originally posted by kronik:

Don't mean to interject but I highly doubt the Kansas City Chiefs will spend a top 5 pick on a DL 3 years in a row. Not saying they are bad players but it makes no sense to put so much money into 1 unit of a team. Impossible. They will look for a OT to protect their huge investment of Cassel.

OT makes a lot of sense
Share 49ersWebzone