LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Should we move up to get our OT?

Should we move up to get our OT?

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't think we need to move up...one of the best OT's will be available at #13 or 17. In some ways I'd prefer to get him at #13, then go BPA at #17. It wouldn't bother me at all if we went OT, then Iupati. That would go against Mac's grain a bit, but you get your upgraded OL done in 1st round, leaving tons of options for the remaining 7 picks.

Its obvious we need to address the guard position as well, unless of course most of our problems where based on coaching. It will be interesting to see what the Niners do at guard, I have a hunch they would be willing to start the season with Baas and Chilo, because they think Solari we'll get the necessary results.

Even thought RG was the worst performing position on the line, its unclear (to me) how much was play calling, player or coach. I'm not willing to give up on Chilo, but I'm not a big Baas fan as he has been in the league way to long to have the type of performance he had last year. Not to mention I question his heart.
NO! I truly think our O-lines poor performance has more to do with coaching and less to do with talent. I hope we go D-end/OLB, RB, in the first. QB in the second, SS, FS, DB to finnish things out!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
NO! I truly think our O-lines poor performance has more to do with coaching and less to do with talent. I hope we go D-end/OLB, RB, in the first. QB in the second, SS, FS, DB to finnish things out!

So u don't want to add even a RT? R u sticking with Pasho?

That just sounds crazy to me.....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Not so crazy when you use Staley as a test sample, Staley was great as a Rookie, and has gotten steadily worse, why is that? We have been drafting "good guys" guys who are "coachable", when you give a guy like Staley bad coaching he will listen and try really hard to do exactly what he has been told! His fundamentals have been sliding since we got him and ruined him!
Another case study would be Justin Smily, an average guy here, but with better coaching, a real stud.

I have not even began to breakdown the predictable, and pedestrian play calling from Coach Kool-aid and coach Jimmy Raye Charles! Its 2010, and we have a great high school play book from 1985!

Thankfully Forrester and Warhop are gone! But our offense would struggle even if we had the starting line-up from last years Pro-bowl! If you got a time machine and brought the all time all star O-line in Raye MIGHT have a chance!

We need the second coming of Barry Sanders, and Fran Tarkington, two guys who through away the play book and improvised!

Not so crazy when you use Staley as a test sample, Staley was great as a Rookie, and has gotten steadily worse, why is that? We have been drafting "good guys" guys who are "coachable", when you give a guy like Staley bad coaching he will listen and try really hard to do exactly what he has been told! His fundamentals have been sliding since we got him and ruined him!
Another case study would be Justin Smily, an average guy here, but with better coaching, a real stud.

I have not even began to breakdown the predictable, and pedestrian play calling from Coach Kool-aid and coach Jimmy Raye Charles! Its 2010, and we have a great high school play book from 1985!

Thankfully Forrester and Warhop are gone! But our offense would struggle even if we had the starting line-up from last years Pro-bowl! If you got a time machine and brought the all time all star O-line in Raye MIGHT have a chance!

We need the second coming of Barry Sanders, and Fran Tarkington, two guys who through away the play book and improvised!

As my previous post suggests I dont totally disagree with your assement of the play calling or coaching. However, you still haven't said who you would designate as our RT. Pasho or Snyder? I think Pasho is solid, but like Jax why not draft a young stud and let him play back up? I want dominance at the tackle position not mediocrity. IMO, Snyder will never be more than a back up. As far as the guards go I would be willing to see what a year under Solari would do since both guys (Chilo & Baas) were relatively high draft picks, especially for a guard.

P.S. We still should draft some competion at the Guard position and I dont mean in the 5 round.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 1, 2010 at 20:08:35 ]

As my previous post suggests I dont totally disagree with your assement of the play calling or coaching. However, you still haven't said who you would designate as our RT. Pasho or Snyder? I think Pasho is solid, but like Jax why not draft a young stud and let him play back up? I want dominance at the tackle position not mediocrity. IMO, Snyder will never be more than a back up. As far as the guards go I would be willing to see what a year under Solari would do since both guys (Chilo & Baas) were relatively high draft picks, especially for a guard.

P.S. We still should draft some competion at the Guard position and I dont mean in the 5 round.

OOps, Pashos, over Snyder all day. I think another overlooked aspect of the problem is the overall youth of this unit, maybe rather than add another young player we should look for another big old ugly vet to play guard. Who ever we take Vet or Draft pick, no more nice guys we need a bad ass old school tough guy to lead this group of choir boys!

OOps, Pashos, over Snyder all day. I think another overlooked aspect of the problem is the overall youth of this unit, maybe rather than add another young player we should look for another big old ugly vet to play guard. Who ever we take Vet or Draft pick, no more nice guys we need a bad ass old school tough guy to lead this group of choir boys!

Couldn't agree more.
I think it bears repeating my 2nd page thought. Given what the draft pundits are saying except what the idiots Kiper and McShay think how the draft might play out. How about we trade our #13 and our 3rd round pick this and next year to the browns (1560 points)for their 7th pick (1500). We need to make sure we get a good OL prospect. We need to make sure it gets done this year.
[ Edited by kezar49er on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:22 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think people are exaggerating the run on tackles. Last year people made the same claims that 4 tackles would go in the top 10 yet Oher was still available at 22.

I think 3 go before we pick (Okung, Williams, Campbell) but we still get a chance at the other 2.

Either way I say no. If 5 tackles go in the top 12 then say hello to Eric Berry or Joe Haden.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
No need to move up, I think Bulaga/Williams makes it to #13.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM ]

Originally posted by mayo63:

How about some of the moves that have been taking place in FA has that changed anything? For instance, the Seachickens going after Kolb/McNabb or Browns ditching their Qbs (if possible).
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:

How about some of the moves that have been taking place in FA has that changed anything? For instance, the Seachickens going after Kolb/McNabb or Browns ditching their Qbs (if possible).

I think either Seattle takes Clausen or the Bills will. One of either Bulaga/Williams should be there for us at #13.
I think people are exaggerating the run on tackles. Last year people made the same claims that 4 tackles would go in the top 10 yet Oher was still available at 22.

I think 3 go before we pick (Okung, Williams, Campbell) but we still get a chance at the other 2.

Either way I say no. If 5 tackles go in the top 12 then say hello to Eric Berry or Joe Haden.

But then what? At what point do we grab our tackle?

2nd round or 3rd round. You can find starting RT's in those rounds, and like I said I severely doubt all 5 of those tackles are gone by the time we pick.

I sure hope your right, but it's like I said, I dont have a lot of confidence in Scottys ability to draft lineman in the seconds and beyond.

Personally I think Trent Williams pulled away from the pack for us. I wouldn't be p*ssed if we traded up to get him it just wouldn't be my number one option.

So you would trade up in the 1st round for a RT, correct? If you struggle in college as a LT, even in the Big 12 don't you think you are overspending to draft that person in the 1st round.

With that logic, I'll just take it a step further. Why not draft a left handed QB, so having Williams at RT makes more sense?
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by NinerFan1977:
I know I mentioned giving up a 3rd to move up, so lets take a look at what we might be missing out on....

Glenn Coffee, Reggie Smith, Jason Hill/Ray McDonald, Michael Robinson, Adam Snyder, Brandon Williams and our beloved Frank Gore.

Outside of Gore I dont know that I wouldn't trade any of these guys with a first for an elite tackle.

Gore was drafted in the 4th rd

3rd round 65th overall

you fail

x2

No 4th rounder in 05

JQ
Only if we get the top LT - Okung (maybe Bulaga). That way we move Staley back to RT and upgrade both tackles.
Share 49ersWebzone