LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 347 users in the forums

1st Round Mock (top 17)

Not a big fan of that mock. We don't improve our pass blocking one bit. We're still missing a RT to replace Snyder, and Iupati pass blocking skills needs alot of refinement.

As for McClain. I'm not totally against taking him just long term I don't like the idea of having 2 premiere ILB's. I see it playing out like it did in Chicago (Briggs, Urlacher)or Baltimore (Lewis, Sharper). There's only so much money to go around.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 21, 2010 at 08:31:53 ]
Originally posted by noobie:
When did a guard become more important than a tackle? Bulaga is a better prospect at t than iupati is at g. The fall from the top tier OTs is bigger than the fall from iupati and the second/third guards IMO. While I love McClain I don't think he's the pick at 13.
If Seattle goes qb at 6 they have to a take to protect him with Walter jones probably retiring.

Good point noobie.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
When did a guard become more important than a tackle? Bulaga is a better prospect at t than iupati is at g. The fall from the top tier OTs is bigger than the fall from iupati and the second/third guards IMO. While I love McClain I don't think he's the pick at 13.
If Seattle goes qb at 6 they have to a take to protect him with Walter jones probably retiring.

Good point noobie.

Our biggest need on offense is RT, Bulaga is a stud RT. Why would we take a G?!
nice but id rather have Bulaga than iupathi
Originally posted by foreign49er:

Good point noobie.

If you read my earlier responses you will see that I explain that I don't believe that Bulaga is a premier OT. Would you really take Kwame Harris over Alen Faneca? Obviously not. Now I'm not saying Bulaga is Kwame Harris, but I am saying that I've heard that he's not seen as a 1st round talent by many teams, whereas Iupati is a consensus 1st rounder, and the best OG prospect in years. MoveTheSticks.com is the best source of insider information from a real scout (worked for the Ravens and Browns as a scout), and he has mentioned that teams he's spoken to are not very high an Bulaga, and further, after reviewing his game film, he's not very high on him either. This is what made me want to stray away. I prefer Kyle Calloway later in the draft, or Veldheer in the 2nd. OG is just as big of a need as OT, and even though the position doesn't have as high of a premium for passing teams, it may be just as important, if not more important, for power running teams whose best player is an inside the tackles runner. This is the type of team Singletary wants to build.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Good point noobie.

If you read my earlier responses you will see that I explain that I don't believe that Bulaga is a premier OT. Would you really take Kwame Harris over Alen Faneca? Obviously not. Now I'm not saying Bulaga is Kwame Harris, but I am saying that I've heard that he's not seen as a 1st round talent by many teams, whereas Iupati is a consensus 1st rounder, and the best OG prospect in years. MoveTheSticks.com is the best source of insider information from a real scout (worked for the Ravens and Browns as a scout), and he has mentioned that teams he's spoken to are not very high an Bulaga, and further, after reviewing his game film, he's not very high on him either. This is what made me want to stray away. I prefer Kyle Calloway later in the draft, or Veldheer in the 2nd. OG is just as big of a need as OT, and even though the position doesn't have as high of a premium for passing teams, it may be just as important, if not more important, for power running teams whose best player is an inside the tackles runner. This is the type of team Singletary wants to build.

You're right, he's not. At worst he's a starter for 5-6 years. Our needs at RT are far superior to our needs at OG. We have consistently gone with the second-hand fix for RT. We continue to sign veterans who break down. I wouldn't agree whatsoever:
a) taking a Guard at #17 in any draft.
b) taking a Guard with question marks over a Tackle with question marks.
c) not drafting a Tackle in the first round when we have the ability to. Whoever it is will start from day 1.

I also don't agree with Iupati because from everything I've heard he's still a little raw. Wasn't that the same thing they said about Rachal/Baas? Isn't that what the coaches continue to tell us is wrong with Rachal/Baas? So you want to replace a raw mauler (Baas/Rachal) with a raw mauler (Iupati)? It's like drafting Tim Tebow when you've already got Alex Smith. You're just replacing the problem with the same problem.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Good point noobie.

You're right, he's not. At worst he's a starter for 5-6 years. Our needs at RT are far superior to our needs at OG. We have consistently gone with the second-hand fix for RT. We continue to sign veterans who break down. I wouldn't agree whatsoever:
a) taking a Guard at #17 in any draft.
b) taking a Guard with question marks over a Tackle with question marks.
c) not drafting a Tackle in the first round when we have the ability to. Whoever it is will start from day 1.

I also don't agree with Iupati because from everything I've heard he's still a little raw. Wasn't that the same thing they said about Rachal/Baas? Isn't that what the coaches continue to tell us is wrong with Rachal/Baas? So you want to replace a raw mauler (Baas/Rachal) with a raw mauler (Iupati)? It's like drafting Tim Tebow when you've already got Alex Smith. You're just replacing the problem with the same problem.

Just to be clear, I'm not a scout, and don't make assesments based on YouTube clips. I read what various scouts say, and now I see what Insiders say from movethesticks.com, and based on this I draw conclusions. From what I've gathered, Iupati is an elite OG prospect, wheras Bulaga carries a late 1st/early 2nd round grade from a talent standpoint, but may get overdrafted based on the position he plays.

Remember 3 years ago AZ needed an OT more than any other position. They passed on AP, Willis, Revis, Hall, among others, to overdraft Levi Brown.
I just think the 49ers will draft a Tackle at 13 guaranteed unless they feel they can get him at 17.

The other 1st round pick will be a luxury pick (not necessarily a high need). Someone will falls to their laps- it happens every year. There will be a run on DL and OL pushing someone like Haden, Berry, Bryant, McClain, Bradford, Clausen, Spiller down the 1st round. It will be interesting because I think the 49ers will get a lot of trade offers especially if they already draft their RT.

I wish it was April already.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I just think the 49ers will draft a Tackle at 13 guaranteed unless they feel they can get him at 17.

The other 1st round pick will be a luxury pick (not necessarily a high need). Someone will falls to their laps- it happens every year. There will be a run on DL and OL pushing someone like Haden, Berry, Bryant, McClain, Bradford, Clausen, Spiller down the 1st round. It will be interesting because I think the 49ers will get a lot of trade offers especially if they already draft their RT.

I wish it was April already.

I don't think the niners draft anyone that they don't feel is a top 13 talent, at #13.
Who do people feel would be the #17 pick, given the 16 that went ahead in this scenario. This is slightly different than giving your favorite pick. Rather, what do you think is the most realistic outcome.

So let's say you're trying to build a car; the best race car you can build. What parts do you put into it?

The best parts money can buy, right? Of course. And obviously, you don't care at what time these parts become available for purchase; you just need to eventually get them all at some point.

But...

What if you have a LIMITED BUDGET? In this case you can't spend a ton of money on any part. You have to ration the money you have. Let's say you spend 80% of your money on the best tires available. You now only have 20% left for everything else. So, no matter how good those space age tires are, the rest of your car will not be good enough to win against the competition because your car is below average everywhere else.

In the NFL there is a salary cap which limits the amount of money you can spend. So if you spend the largest chunk of your money on middle linebacker and pay the position 25 million a year, you now have to decide which positions will be paid less money. OLB? QB? RB? OT? CB?

BPA went out the door in the era of salary cap. General managers are LYING when they talk about BPA; oh wait, unless of course your name is Matt Millen. Where's he working now? He believed in taking the BPA no matter what.
I love this mock. I do hope we draft Spiller, but the thought of having Willis and MClain as our ILB is just scary no dought could go down in history as best ever.
The second pick is a webzone fav. I honestly feel we draft OT in that position, but Sing, stressed all year about poor line play and he always complained about the guards.
Pending how free agency works out (I feel we will be quiet this year). I agree 100% about this being a possible outcome and I would not be upset about it.
Well done
Originally posted by BrianGO:
So let's say you're trying to build a car; the best race car you can build. What parts do you put into it?

The best parts money can buy, right? Of course. And obviously, you don't care at what time these parts become available for purchase; you just need to eventually get them all at some point.

But...

What if you have a LIMITED BUDGET? In this case you can't spend a ton of money on any part. You have to ration the money you have. Let's say you spend 80% of your money on the best tires available. You now only have 20% left for everything else. So, no matter how good those space age tires are, the rest of your car will not be good enough to win against the competition because your car is below average everywhere else.

In the NFL there is a salary cap which limits the amount of money you can spend. So if you spend the largest chunk of your money on middle linebacker and pay the position 25 million a year, you now have to decide which positions will be paid less money. OLB? QB? RB? OT? CB?

BPA went out the door in the era of salary cap. General managers are LYING when they talk about BPA; oh wait, unless of course your name is Matt Millen. Where's he working now? He believed in taking the BPA no matter what.

Salary cap is gone.... and, I do believe teams draft for BPA sometimes, and need sometimes. Here is my assessment of our 1st round draft picks over the last five years that fall into each category:

Need:
-A. Smith ('nuff said)
-Lawson (needed OLB, but may have thought of him as BPA as well, allthough I doubt that)
-Staley (wouldn't be shocked if they felt he was both, in fact, Alan Branch was likely playing the position of greater need)
-Balmer (felt he could play NT, which was a huge need. BPA on Scotty's board was Lofton I believe)

BPA:
-VD (can't tell me TE was a "need", especially with Eric Johnson getting 800 yards a season earlier)
-Willis (D. Smith was one of the better players on the team at that time)
-Crabtree (this has been mentioned as the BPA pick many times)
Pretty bad mock. And how is Haden a local kid he's from Maryland?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Pretty bad mock. And how is Haden a local kid he's from Maryland?

He plays for Florida... I figured that was pretty obvious. Can you tell me which part of the mock you don't like? Keep in mind that this is a prediction of what I think WILL happen, not what I WOULD DO. I would love to defend each and every pick
Share 49ersWebzone