There are 170 users in the forums

Scott Wright's Updated Draft 1/22/10

The problem I have with the Spiller pick is that it's a luxury pick. I don't think the 49ers are in the position right now to be taking luxury picks in the 1st round. They are improving talent-wise, but the team still has holes to fill. The biggest holes are OT, OG, S, and CB.

With Gore in the backfield and a 3rd round pick invested in a running back last year in Coffee, it's not a necessity that we take Spiller.

Now, I would not be upset at all with the Spiller pick because he's a speed guy with the ability to return. I just think that building up the OL is something that has not been addressed and needs to be.

Offensive tackle and Iupati is still my ideal first round scenario.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by lamontb:

To be honest he has no value know. Seriously if it isn't AP or CJ why would any team trade for a RB with the way the position has be devalued over the last few years. Not on knock on Gore but it's knock on the position.

And sadly the shelf-life for a RB is very, very short. Gore has another three, four years at the most before his production jumps off a cliff.

Backs like Emmitt Smith who had eleven 1,000 yard seasons won't happen anymore. It's also why you see so many more teams going to RBBC. It's worse for individual numbers for the backs but it sure does increase their longevity.

Exactly I mean just look at Lt as the prime example. The best back of the last decade is now down to spot duty. The human body just can't take this type of punishment. Plus defenders are much bigger and faster causing bigger hits to RB's. Plus if your o line is solid you can get a 3rd round back(just like the Niners got Gore) and he can be very productive. No need to trade for a RB.
I like this draft but I would rather have Bulaga. Any draft that has us taking an OT and C.J. Spiller in the 1st round makes me very happy...
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Would be thrilled with this draft.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
The problem I have with the Spiller pick is that it's a luxury pick. I don't think the 49ers are in the position right now to be taking luxury picks in the 1st round. They are improving talent-wise, but the team still has holes to fill. The biggest holes are OT, OG, S, and CB.

With Gore in the backfield and a 3rd round pick invested in a running back last year in Coffee, it's not a necessity that we take Spiller.

Now, I would not be upset at all with the Spiller pick because he's a speed guy with the ability to return. I just think that building up the OL is something that has not been addressed and needs to be.

The one argument I can give is with those positions you listed who is worth it at that point. If Haden is gone there are 0 CB's worth drafting at that point. If Goldson stays at FS we wont draft a SS that early. If Williams is picked you can obviously skip over OT. So that leaves OG which at this point is the only other possible option.

You forgot the huge hole at KR PR that was vacated when they cut Allen Rossum, this one move might have cost the niners a few wins. Spiller can return kicks and punts, AND be a bigger threat as a receiver out of the back field, a runner who can turn the corner, than Gore or Coffee ever will be, Michael Robinson will be the odd RB out, not coffee.
Originally posted by TJA85:
1A. OT - Trent Williams
1B. RB - C.J. Spiller

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

This draft would be my wet dream!
Another mock where Iupati goes at the end of 1st, yet everyone still thinks we need to take him at 16/17 or even 13?!?
Originally posted by noobie:
Another mock where Iupati goes at the end of 1st, yet everyone still thinks we need to take him at 16/17 or even 13?!?

Its still very early in this process. I expect his draft stock to rise. Iupati is a very versatile player. NFL Network's Mike Mayock says he believes that Mike Iupati can play ALL 5 POSITIONS on the offensive line!

There is nothing wrong with drafting Iupati with out 16/17 pick. If he performs well during the Senior Bowl and Combine, his stock will continue to rise. If he shows the ability to play RT, his stock will rise. Why is it a problem to take a guy that could essentially fix our offensive line woes with our 16/17th pick?

You've never heard of a prospect's stock rising before the draft? It happens every year.

[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Jan 22, 2010 at 14:19:28 ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Do we have another pick at the end of the round? Unless we trade down, 16/17 is the only chance.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Originally posted by TX9R:

Do we have another pick at the end of the round? Unless we trade down, 16/17 is the only chance.

ive been a fan of trading down from 13. taking RT at 16/17 and Iupati in the early 20s.
Iupati is overrated
Share 49ersWebzone