LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

Kiper's updated Mock

Originally posted by NorCal49er:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
That means that Goldson will move down to SS and Thomas will be the FS.

More coverage at FS and more hitting at SS.

Umm, that means we will be undersized at FS and SS. No thanks. Plus, Goldson has never played strong safety in his life. People act as if it's so easy to switch. Since Goldson is comfortable and improving at FS, why move him?

Agreed

Per MM: Goldson CAN play SS:
S Dashon Goldson (signed through 2010) - He started slowly in his first season as a starter, but got better and better as the season progressed. He had four interceptions and three forced fumbles. He gives the 49ers versatility because of his ability to play free or strong safety.

I happen to agree with MM, Goldson could be very good as a ss because of his tackling ability. Also FS and SS are pretty interchangable in the Niners scheme. Goldson said so himeself
Originally posted by northshore:

Umm, that means we will be undersized at FS and SS. No thanks. Plus, Goldson has never played strong safety in his life. People act as if it's so easy to switch. Since Goldson is comfortable and improving at FS, why move him?

Agreed

S Dashon Goldson (signed through 2010) - He started slowly in his first season as a starter, but got better and better as the season progressed. He had four interceptions and three forced fumbles. He gives the 49ers versatility because of his ability to play free or strong safety.

I happen to agree with MM, Goldson could be very good as a ss because of his tackling ability. Also FS and SS are pretty interchangable in the Niners scheme. Goldson said so himeself

I would really like to draft Chad Jones from LSU & pair him with Goldson in the secondary
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Because SS plays closer to the line
and Goldsons play didn't really improve until... He was moved closer to the line

it's not a coincedence that all of a sudden he is playing better

Good Point! he's right Goldson's play improved once they started moving him around like a SS & playing him on the line. Goldson would be a much better player at the SS position, because of his style of play.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
I actually am not tooo high on Earl Thomas. Great hands and instincts, yet undersized and not really strong and not much help in the run game.

Earl Thomas is not undersized. He's got the prototypical size for a safety.

Originally posted by northshore:

Agreed

It doesn't matter what MM says. It doesn't even matter what Goldson says. Of course he will say he can play any position. I have no doubts he could play the position IF HE GAINS AT LEAST 15lbs OF MUSCLE. Otherwise, I think we'll see him injured often. People easily forget Goldson's health history before last year.

Look, all I hope for is Goldson staying healthy. He is an up and coming stud we haven't had at safety in a long time. I guess I rather be more cautious than some of you.

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 21, 2010 at 14:33:03 ]
  • dj43

Goldson is 20 pounds too light to take the pounding at SS. Putting an undersized guy like Goldson, who loves to hit, at SS is to invite a season-ending injury by mid-season. Bad idea.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dj43:
Goldson is 20 pounds too light to take the pounding at SS. Putting an undersized guy like Goldson, who loves to hit, at SS is to invite a season-ending injury by mid-season. Bad idea.

What's a bad idea is people spouting off when they have no idea what they're talking about. Dashon Goldson is 6'2", 200lbs, which is not undersized at all. Don't believe me? Look at the data.

Here's the height and weight of every starting strong safety in the league.

Adrian Wilson--6'3", 226
Erik Coleman--5'10", 207
Dawan Landry--6'0, 210
Donte Whitner--5'10, 208
Chris Harris--6'0, 205
Al Afalava--5'11, 212
Chinedum Ndukwe--6'2, 224
Abram Elam--6'0, 207
Gerald Sensabaugh--6'0, 210
Renaldo Hill--5'11, 205
Louis Delmas--5'11, 202
Atari Bigby--5'11, 213
Bernard Pollard--6'1, 224
Melvin Bullitt--6'1, 201
Gerald Alexander--6'2, 204
Mike Brown--5'10, 207
Yeremiah Bell--6'0, 205
Tyrell Johnson--6'0, 207
Brandon Meriweather--5'11, 200
Roman Harper--6'1, 200
Aaron Rouse--6'4, 227
Jim Leonhard--5'8, 186
Tyvon Branch--6'0, 205
Quintin Mikell--5'10, 206
Tyrone Carter--5'9, 195
Kevin Ellison--6'1, 221
Deon Grant--6'2, 215
James Butler--6'3, 209
Sabby Piscitelli--6'3, 224
Chris Hope--6'0, 208
Lendy Holmes--6'1, 201
Michael Lewqis--6'1, 222

Average weight is 206.5 lbs. Smallest starting strong safety in the league comes in at 186. Biggest strong safety in the league weighs 227. In other words Goldson would only have to add about 5 lbs to fit right in.

Average height is 6'0". Shortest SS in the league is 5'8", the tallest is 6'4" tall.

Don't tell me that Goldson is undersized to play SS, because that simply isn't true.
Share 49ersWebzone