There are 165 users in the forums

Kiper's updated Mock

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
I actually am not tooo high on Earl Thomas. Great hands and instincts, yet undersized and not really strong and not much help in the run game.

Earl Thomas is not undersized. He's got the prototypical size for a safety.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
You guys should see this
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/position?id=47&draftyear=2010

NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL GRADE POS RANK OVR RANK
Vladimir Ducasse OG 6'5"  328   89 1 35
Mike Iupati OG 6'5¼" 330 Idaho 87 2 45
Jon Asamoah OG 6'3½" 305 Illinois 78 3 79
Mike Johnson OG 6'5½" 302 Alabama 71 4 99

some of you having a heart attack right now lol

I went looking for more info on Ducasse...plays both G and ROT. Looks like a solid second rounder. If we went Spiller and Williams in the first, would Ducasse be a good pick in the second or we wait for another OG in the later rounds?

Still, nice frickin' list of OGs!

I grade Ducasse as a 2nd-3rd. But more towards the third (as evidenced by my talent-tier board). He's a tweener, yes. But better than Iupati? I don't think so. That's laughable. And I actually like Kiper, but he has some "laughers" every now and then and this is one of them.

Ducasse may very well develop into a great OL, as he's very talented, but I wouldn't draft him in the 1st, that's for sure. He's just not first-round material, and I feel pretty sure that around the time all the workout numbers and Senior Bowl practices/game are completed, he's going to fall right in that 2nd-3rd round range like he should. Not the 1st.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
You guys should see this

I went looking for more info on Ducasse...plays both G and ROT. Looks like a solid second rounder. If we went Spiller and Williams in the first, would Ducasse be a good pick in the second or we wait for another OG in the later rounds?

I grade Ducasse as a 2nd-3rd. But more towards the third (as evidenced by my talent-tier board). He's a tweener, yes. But better than Iupati? I don't think so. That's laughable. And I actually like Kiper, but he has some "laughers" every now and then and this is one of them.

Ducasse may very well develop into a great OL, as he's very talented, but I wouldn't draft him in the 1st, that's for sure. He's just not first-round material, and I feel pretty sure that around the time all the workout numbers and Senior Bowl practices/game are completed, he's going to fall right in that 2nd-3rd round range like he should. Not the 1st.

Not Kiper, scouts Inc
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I doubt we take a safety in the first round.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:27:55 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
You guys should see this

Not Kiper, scouts Inc

Oh, I was under the impression you were pulling the rankings from Kiper's info. But this is coming from McShay? Whoops.

Whether Kiper or McShay, I clearly disagree with the sentiments here.
I actually am not tooo high on Earl Thomas. Great hands and instincts, yet undersized and not really strong and not much help in the run game. Bigger recievers will who have good QBs will toast him. In college, he got a bunch of INTs, but in the pros, I think he'll be a bust(at 17, I'd think he should go in the 30s). Williams I like, yet I thought he might drop to our 2nd first (#17). He had an okay season at LT, so i doubt many teams looking for a franchise LT take him. We need an RT, where he dominated last year. I think he fall in the draft.

I hope Trent Williams falls to the 49ers 2nd pick in the 1st round.
Kiper only has a top 25 right now
I actually am not tooo high on Earl Thomas. Great hands and instincts, yet undersized and not really strong and not much help in the run game. Bigger recievers will who have good QBs will toast him. In college, he got a bunch of INTs, but in the pros, I think he'll be a bust(at 17, I'd think he should go in the 30s). Williams I like, yet I thought he might drop to our 2nd first (#17). He had an okay season at LT, so i doubt many teams looking for a franchise LT take him. We need an RT, where he dominated last year. I think he fall in the draft.

Thomas would be nice but i would rather have Spiller or Cody
Originally posted by 49erman5692:

Thomas would be nice but i would rather have Spiller or Cody

Cody as a first rounder would be a really bad pick. He has been exposed as a 2 down player and we don't need any more of those, we already have Franklin and Soap, they are the main reasons our rush D was so good. He certainly isn't even close to Ngata when he came out.

Cody may have been better off coming out last year, when he possibly could have been selected in the 1st round.. I believe his draft stock has fallen since then, into the 2nd round.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
That means that Goldson will move down to SS and Thomas will be the FS.

More coverage at FS and more hitting at SS.

Umm, that means we will be undersized at FS and SS. No thanks. Plus, Goldson has never played strong safety in his life. People act as if it's so easy to switch. Since Goldson is comfortable and improving at FS, why move him?

Agreed

[ Edited by NorCal49er on Jan 20, 2010 at 16:26:58 ]

• krizay
  • Veteran

Umm, that means we will be undersized at FS and SS. No thanks. Plus, Goldson has never played strong safety in his life. People act as if it's so easy to switch. Since Goldson is comfortable and improving at FS, why move him?

he was statistically the worst COVERAGE safety in the league last year.

[ Edited by krizay on Jan 21, 2010 at 06:46:39 ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NorCal49er:

Agreed

Neither Goldson nor Thomas are undersized.
Never heard of either. we should just draft two wide receivers with our two picks............... lol jk. we should just overstock on a bunch of fu**en linemen... trade the rest of our picks for another first rounder!! we'll have the best line of all time!!!!!!!!!

You re right on; Earl Thomas is weak. He'll get run over by backup running backs. I see a bust, and I will shiit if we draft this guy. Another note: Tate at 29????????, he helped Clausen look like a superstar. Is he kidding?

[ Edited by SFL49ER on Jan 20, 2010 at 19:24:06 ]
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by NorCal49er:

Agreed

Neither Goldson nor Thomas are undersized.

Goldson is listed at 6-2 200 lbs. That is light for a strong safety. Ideal weight for SS is around 215 - 225 lbs.
Before this past season, what was the knock on Goldson? It was failure to stay healthy. Do you actually think moving him to SS will keep him healthy? At 200 lbs???? Taking on fullbacks and Tight Ends and big backs like Brandon Jacobs ????

Earl Thomas is about 5-9 195 lbs. (We'll get a more accurate size at the combine). His weight is OK, but he's kinda short. My ideal size for a FS is about 6-1 205lbs.

I also would like to see Thomas run the 40. If he is already at a size disadvantage, I'd like to see if he has speed to make up for it.

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 20, 2010 at 19:34:05 ]
Share 49ersWebzone