LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 236 users in the forums

Pete Carroll and the draft

I doubt Curry will turn out to be a bust, but he's not a fan-favorite either. He's already gained a reputation for being a dirty player and he's displiked by players around the league. I think he had a pretty good rookie season. He wasn't healthy the whole season, so his production wasn't spectacular, but he's talented and a good addition to the Hawk's defense.

He'll probably turn out to be a very solid player for them, but I don't know if he'll every live up to the hype a #4 pick gets. That's not entirely on him though. He's an OLB. He's not going to win games for them.

Unless Suh comes in and just dominates, which is highly unlikely, many will consider him a bust also. That's just the nature of his position. I'm sure fans are pissed at the Chiefs for Dorsey and Jackson, just as Saints fans aren't thrilled with Ellis.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
The thought of facing Suh and Berry both twice each a season makes me positively sad.

Pray to God that the Rams and Hawks whiff their picks in Round 1.

No doubt Hawks will look to Best in R2 as well if he's there, they take all the Cal players and do a good job of getting them involved and playing well.

I think Forsett could be a good starter for them, I'd definitely want him on our team

Hawks fans also seem to be really disappointed in Curry

i think Curry got so much hype a lot of fans expected him to cme in and have double digit sacks
in a 4-3 the olbs are the sack monsters???
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

Maybe what lamont meant there was that the expectation may have been that he could step into JP's shoes and fulfill his role and put up the same kind of numbers as he did from day 1.

No, but they expected Curry to be Julian Peterson. JP may not have reached double digit sacks when he was there (I can't remember) but he got a ton of pressure in that scheme.

I think its a bit unrealistic to expect a rookie to instantly fill a pro bowler's shoes. I think their DL was worse last year too, which doesn't help.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Overkill:

No, but they expected Curry to be Julian Peterson. JP may not have reached double digit sacks when he was there (I can't remember) but he got a ton of pressure in that scheme.

I think its a bit unrealistic to expect a rookie to instantly fill a pro bowler's shoes. I think their DL was worse last year too, which doesn't help.

However JP played under a different HC and DC and Curry was a rookie so there is a still a learning curve, so the fans expectations should have been tamed.
USC Charles Brown LT to Seattle at #4 or #16, mark it down.

Seattle runs a zone blocking scheme which is perfect for Brown, who I think is the best pass blocking tackle in the draft.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Seattle runs a zone blocking scheme which is perfect for Brown, who I think is the best pass blocking tackle in the draft.

Actually that's another good point
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Actually that's another good point

But that's also high for him to go, I could see them trading into the bottom of round 1 for him or moving up a few spots in the 2nd.

There is also talk that Locklear will remain at LT.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

There is also talk that Locklear will remain at LT.
and there is serious talk about remaining backus at LT in detroit, as well. some team decisions are really weird, arent they?

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Overkill:

However JP played under a different HC and DC and Curry was a rookie so there is a still a learning curve, so the fans expectations should have been tamed.

Hence the last part of my post.
Originally posted by strickac:
I doubt Curry will turn out to be a bust, but he's not a fan-favorite either. He's already gained a reputation for being a dirty player and he's displiked by players around the league. I think he had a pretty good rookie season. He wasn't healthy the whole season, so his production wasn't spectacular, but he's talented and a good addition to the Hawk's defense.

He'll probably turn out to be a very solid player for them, but I don't know if he'll every live up to the hype a #4 pick gets. That's not entirely on him though. He's an OLB. He's not going to win games for them.

Unless Suh comes in and just dominates, which is highly unlikely, many will consider him a bust also. That's just the nature of his position. I'm sure fans are pissed at the Chiefs for Dorsey and Jackson, just as Saints fans aren't thrilled with Ellis.

Seahawks fans were expecting as much or more from Curry as they got from Julian Peterson.
I think Carroll will go for Damian Williams in the 2nd or maybe Joe McKnight in the 2nd or 3rd.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Something that came to me today while watching the games was what will Carroll look for this year. I know this doesn't have to do with the 9ers but here me out. A lot of us have favorite players or prospects we would love to see in a 9ers jersey and hate to see in a divisional opponents jersey. For example when Sea drafted Owen Schmitt it really pissed me off!!

A lot of us have hard-on's for Berry and Spiller. A few different mock's have at least one of them going to Seattle which I would personally hate. I do think Sea will take an OT with their first pick because they need one badly. But the whole Berry 1st then (insert OT here) next, or OT then Spiller.....you get my drift.

But what are the chances Carroll goes after his boy, Mays? It would be (in all likelihood) an OT first then Mays with their 2nd 1st rounder (at 14). Sea pass D is ranked 30th so it's not a crazy prediction. In this scenario they would pass on both Berry and Spiller which is a very good thing...considering it could drop Spiller to us (at 16 or 17). I think Mays is very overrated but I can see Carroll pulling the trigger on a guy he has personally coached the last 4 years. Seeing Mays twice a year at FS would be a lot better then seeing Berry twice a year....for many years to come.

What do you guys think? Am I talking out of my ass or does this seem like a factual prediction?

I think Seattle goes QB Bradford or Clausen) then OT (Bulaga, Williams, Brown or Campbell). Hasselbeck is starting to fall apart and their OL is in shambles.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Seahawks fans were expecting as much or more from Curry as they got from Julian Peterson.
hawks fans need some "realism"-pills...
Share 49ersWebzone