LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 234 users in the forums

Pete Carroll and the draft

Something that came to me today while watching the games was what will Carroll look for this year. I know this doesn't have to do with the 9ers but here me out. A lot of us have favorite players or prospects we would love to see in a 9ers jersey and hate to see in a divisional opponents jersey. For example when Sea drafted Owen Schmitt it really pissed me off!!

A lot of us have hard-on's for Berry and Spiller. A few different mock's have at least one of them going to Seattle which I would personally hate. I do think Sea will take an OT with their first pick because they need one badly. But the whole Berry 1st then (insert OT here) next, or OT then Spiller.....you get my drift.

But what are the chances Carroll goes after his boy, Mays? It would be (in all likelihood) an OT first then Mays with their 2nd 1st rounder (at 14). Sea pass D is ranked 30th so it's not a crazy prediction. In this scenario they would pass on both Berry and Spiller which is a very good thing...considering it could drop Spiller to us (at 16 or 17). I think Mays is very overrated but I can see Carroll pulling the trigger on a guy he has personally coached the last 4 years. Seeing Mays twice a year at FS would be a lot better then seeing Berry twice a year....for many years to come.

What do you guys think? Am I talking out of my ass or does this seem like a factual prediction?
Originally posted by jreff22:
What do you guys think? Am I talking out of my ass or does this seem like a factual prediction?

I don't know about factual, but it certainly is possible. A lot of things are possible.

In my opinion, what is more likely to happen is for Pete Carroll to take Berry instead of Mays if he were to have the choice - and that would be the right choice (again, IMO).
Originally posted by jreff22:
Something that came to me today while watching the games was what will Carroll look for this year. I know this doesn't have to do with the 9ers but here me out. A lot of us have favorite players or prospects we would love to see in a 9ers jersey and hate to see in a divisional opponents jersey. For example when Sea drafted Owen Schmitt it really pissed me off!!

A lot of us have hard-on's for Berry and Spiller. A few different mock's have at least one of them going to Seattle which I would personally hate. I do think Sea will take an OT with their first pick because they need one badly. But the whole Berry 1st then (insert OT here) next, or OT then Spiller.....you get my drift.

But what are the chances Carroll goes after his boy, Mays? It would be (in all likelihood) an OT first then Mays with their 2nd 1st rounder (at 14). Sea pass D is ranked 30th so it's not a crazy prediction. In this scenario they would pass on both Berry and Spiller which is a very good thing...considering it could drop Spiller to us (at 16 or 17). I think Mays is very overrated but I can see Carroll pulling the trigger on a guy he has personally coached the last 4 years. Seeing Mays twice a year at FS would be a lot better then seeing Berry twice a year....for many years to come.

If Berry is still on the board, I think they draft him and go OT with their second 1st rounder (14th). If they go OT with that first pic, it really depends on who's there for their second 1st rounder...if a QB drops to them (Bradford is the more likely candidate to fall), they might have to go in that direction. Otherwise, they might go OT (6th overall) then Mays (14th), given how important the safety position is for Carroll's defense and how well Mays knows it.
It's business, if berry is on the board Carroll will pick his ass.
Carroll would probably be less likely to pick Mays after coaching him, rather than picking him because he coached him. He'll know how much Mays struggles in coverage and stuff.
The thought of facing Suh and Berry both twice each a season makes me positively sad.

Pray to God that the Rams and Hawks whiff their picks in Round 1.

No doubt Hawks will look to Best in R2 as well if he's there, they take all the Cal players and do a good job of getting them involved and playing well.
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
The thought of facing Suh and Berry both twice each a season makes me positively sad.

No doubt Hawks will look to Best in R2 as well if he's there, they take all the Cal players and do a good job of getting them involved and playing well.

Hopefully they'll start taking USC players instead now.

I think Forsett could be a good starter for them, I'd definitely want him on our team

Hawks fans also seem to be really disappointed in Curry
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Hopefully they'll start taking USC players instead now.

Carroll's probably looking at how he can violate the draft rules, and draft 10 first rounders as we speak!

IDK i really think the Rams are going to take a QB. They'd be real stupid if they didn't!

Originally posted by 49erfan3252:

IDK i really think the Rams are going to take a QB. They'd be real stupid if they didn't!

Or do they wait until R2/R3 and take a chance on a Snead or Pike and work with it?

Suh is surely one of the top 5 can't miss players of the last 10 years?
Originally posted by teeohh:

I think Forsett could be a good starter for them, I'd definitely want him on our team

I live amongst Seahawks fans and YES, they are not loving the Curry pick at all.. He is widely viewed as a bust.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I live amongst Seahawks fans and YES, they are not loving the Curry pick at all.. He is widely viewed as a bust.

Wow, really. I thought he was doing ok with them.
Originally posted by mayo63:

Wow, really. I thought he was doing ok with them.

I guess I should have said that the majority of Seahawk fans I live around and work with don't think Curry's play came close to what is expected from the #4 overall pick.. Some actually do think he is a bust...

Seahawk fans are really glad to see Ruskell (GM) gone, as his drafts have been less than stellar..

The whole Seahawk nation is in turmoil these days.

oh yeah, a bust after a decent year..ahahahahhaha. what did these 'hawks fans expected??? not every linebacker can convert to a patrick willis in his first year.

Or do they wait until R2/R3 and take a chance on a Snead or Pike and work with it?

Suh is surely one of the top 5 can't miss players of the last 10 years?
some people think that getting suh and a r2/r3-qb would be the smarter way to draft this year (you can get a franchise qb in the later rounds either...lool at garrard, brees, brady or romo...not my argument!!!)...other ones think that drafting loker (as franchise qb) next year would also be a good move (how long want the rams to rebuild their franchise???)

[ Edited by communist on Jan 11, 2010 at 08:54:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone