There are 219 users in the forums

Returners: Summary of PR & KR in draft

Originally posted by 49ers18:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
But for the 49ers, who seem incapable of evaluating talent, I don't think Vann is even an option -- sometimes it almost feels like Scottie is sitting around on his computers reading Scott Wright's draft "analysis" before making picks.

49ers have NO speed threat at WR or RB. The WR’s are all big power/possession WR’s (Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Jones, Battle). All of their RB’s are power guys (Gore, Coffee, Robinson, Norris). None of these 9 core 'skill' guys are speed burners or shifty return guys, yet they still can't run the ball, and they are not speedy, so they can't stretch the defense either. This is a sign of tunnel-vision ignorance by the guys constructing the team, and their infatuation with ‘power’ and their blindness to the value of speed and shiftiness. They fail to understand the balance, the yin-yang, that the threat of speedy/shifty guys opens up the power game.

The 9ers are so devoid of speed threats, I would suggest picking up BOTH a speed WR AND a speed RB. Perhaps a McCluster or Ford in Rd 3-4 and a Holliday, Banks or Vann in Rd 6 or 7. (Trade either WR Jason Hill or Jones)

well im pretty sure that Vann is a DB anyway...so he doesn't make a valid point for any of you guys...he doesn't play WR last time i checked

Wrong.
If you had clicked the link above, Vann is listed as a WR on the draft websites:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89034&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1275513

But even if you don’t like Vann, then there are several other potentially good return men listed above projected in Rd 6-7, like Holliday, James, Banks, and West. Obviously this is a preliminary list, and would require much more in-depth research to select the best one.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I highly doubt Vann will go in the 6th. He'll absolutely get a call as an UDFA, but he has too many things working against him to be drafted.

He's super small -- 5'8" 180 pounds
He won't time well -- Likely the high 4.5's to low 4.6's
He's from a super small school -- Florida A&M.

The positives however are that his field awareness and vision is incredible, as well as some versatility (DB/WR/KR). He could be a low-risk, high-reward player for some team. But for the 49ers, who seem incapable of evaluating talent, I don't think he's even an option -- sometimes it almost feels like Scottie is sitting around on his computers reading Scott Wright's draft "analysis" before making picks.

Really?
Your usually on the money OTC but this is definitely way off. Most of our team is built from Nolan and Scotty's drafts and FA signings.

Anyways we need McCluster in the 2nd. Problem solved. He is a cheap man's Percy Harvin. He wont make it to the third, I'll bet the house on it.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Jan 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM ]
Bengals are playing right now on SNF as I type, and they are hyping up Bernard Scott their great find in the last draft. FYI I emailed McC before the draft last year and also posted a topic here recommending a late rd draft pick for Bernard Scott.

PS. Bernard Scott was the LAST pick of the 6th rd, so good returners are often available late. Leon Washington was picked AFTER McC selected Brandon Williams and Mike Robinson. Josh Cribbs was UDFA, etc .....
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 3, 2010 at 8:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone