LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Scout.com mock draft

Joe Haden and Taylor Mays... Thoughts?
http://profootball.scout.com/2/929837.html
Haden no issues........Mays
I would hate if the draft played out like this with the top 3 OT going before we pick, but if it did I can live with Haden but Spiller has to be the 2nd pick. I would rather have the 1st RB than the 4th OT
id be happy with that, IF we addressed the O-line in free agency
If it plays out that way, I like the Haden pick, but we should take Spiller instead of Mays.
Mays

But I like that a lot of mock drafts have us selecting Haden
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
If it plays out that way, I like the Haden pick, but we should take Spiller instead of Mays.

why
Originally posted by valrod33:

why

Because selecting Mays at that pick would be a reach. He would make Mark Roman look like a pro bowler

Selecting Spiller>Selecting Mays
Originally posted by SF69ers:

why

Because selecting Mays at that pick would be a reach. He would make Mark Roman look like a pro bowler

okay i get why people dont like mays but im asking why draft spiller, and possibly piss off Frank gore by drafting a RB that high what kind of message does that send to Gore, im sorry but we have more pressing needs than drafting a backup to frank gore that high.

Well Mays may not be liked he would fill a need, who knows whats gonna happen with M Lewis especially with his concussion history.

why

okay i get why people dont like mays but im asking why draft spiller, and possibly piss off Frank gore by drafting a RB that high what kind of message does that send to Gore, im sorry but we have more pressing needs than drafting a backup to frank gore that high.

Well Mays may not be liked he would fill a need, who knows whats gonna happen with M Lewis especially with his concussion history.

I agree, as we've seen, Gore just doesn't like getting off the field. Gore is a "rhythm" back and if we draft Spiller, he's going to be seeing the field as much as Coffee does.

I don't want Spiller and I don't want Bryant. We've invested enough 1st round picks at the skill positions on offense. I so badly hope that Spiller is off the board because if we don't draft him, then there are going to be 1 million "Fire McCloughan" threads.

-9fA

Agree completely. At this point the best scenario would be Haden-Trent Williams but Haden-Spiller would also be a very nice first round. Let someone else have Roy Williams -I mean Taylor Mays.

why

Frank Gore cares about winning. He didn't care about Coffee getting drafted. With Spiller, it allows us to spread the field a little cus he can also play receiver. On top of that, he returns kicks which is something we are truly lacking right now. So when you look at it, Spiller does fill a major need.

On the Mays situation, it would really depend on what we planned to do with Nate. We draft Haden, he could possibly start with Spencer (who has been great this year). If Lewis decides to hang it up, Nate moving to safety wouldn't be a terrible move.

Btw, I like Spiller a lot, but I would really prefer Mike Iupati with that pick.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

why

I agree, as we've seen, Gore just doesn't like getting off the field. Gore is a "rhythm" back and if we draft Spiller, he's going to be seeing the field as much as Coffee does.

I don't want Spiller and I don't want Bryant. We've invested enough 1st round picks at the skill positions on offense. I so badly hope that Spiller is off the board because if we don't draft him, then there are going to be 1 million "Fire McCloughan" threads.

-9fA

exactly.

thats why i said IF we were to address the O-Line in free agency i wouldnt mind taking Haden and Mays, but if o-line is not addressed via free agency one of our first round picks needs to be a linemen

Oline and berry would be an ideal draft, but oline and haden is not that bad either

why

Well first of all, I'm of the opinion that we should take an OT with one of our first round picks, if the value is there. I've never been a big fan of Mays, the way he plays he just seems like he's all athleticism and no football instincts.

I like the Spiller pick for a few reasons (if the first round would play out the way this mock draft suggests): First, he's an explosive playmaker that could add a dimension to our offense that it hasn't had in a long time. Second, he can return kickoffs and punts, which would give us the playmaker on special teams that we desperately need.

EDIT: I personally think the ideal scenario barring any trades would be to get Haden and an OT, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen.

I don't really think we're gonna be able to make any major upgrades to our OL in free agency, especially if the we go to an uncapped year, which seems to be a certainty at this point.

[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Dec 18, 2009 at 09:12:38 ]
To me, all the clamoring for Spiller just seems like the same reasoning that was for drafting Reggie Bush.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Dec 18, 2009 at 09:12:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone