LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

What happend to all of the Mount Cody talk?

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Its still there, but the guy is very overrated IMO and could very well fall out of the 1st round due to the fact that he's just not a 3-down player.

Run stuffers can be found thoughout the draft.

WHAT?!? Players like Cody can not be found "thoughout the draft." Players like Cody only come along every few years, if that.

I'm not saying that he will be a great or good NFL player, but a kid with his upside is very very rare.

Cody is the second coming of Ted Washington. Good 2 gap 3-4 NT who is a 2 down player.

We play a 1 gap 3-4....I would not waste a top 25 pick on TC at this point. But we will see how the rest of the season plays out for him and how he fares in the offseason leading up to the draft (Senior Bowl/Combine/Pro Day)

We play a 1 gap 3-4 not because of our talent, but because we don't have a 2 gap 3-4 NT. That's the only reason we play the 1 gap. IMO if we had a 2 gap NT, we would be alot better off. Logical thinking (I know that's not warranted here) will tell you that if one player and "eat" to opposing linemen, that's a good thing.

A good 2 gap NT is really a rare commodity. There are only a handful of guys that big and fewer still that are that big and are actually any good. That said, I am not sold on Cody...yet.
Too much bust potential.

Reminds me of Alan Branch.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Too much bust potential.

Alan Branch has 2 sacks this year more than Haralson and Lawson that is not saying much bro which is sad .
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Too much bust potential.

Alan Branch has 2 sacks this year more than Haralson and Lawson that is not saying much bro which is sad .

Yeah, it took him a couple years but Branch is balling this year. Something to keep in mind before we give up on Balmer.
Its still there, but the guy is very overrated IMO and could very well fall out of the 1st round due to the fact that he's just not a 3-down player.

WHAT?!? Players like Cody can not be found "thoughout the draft." Players like Cody only come along every few years, if that.

I'm not saying that he will be a great or good NFL player, but a kid with his upside is very very rare.

Umm can ya contradict yourself some more please. Your not saying he'll be a great player in the NFL but that he's a very very rare talent? WTF?
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

Umm can ya contradict yourself some more please. Your not saying he'll be a great player in the NFL but that he's a very very rare talent? WTF?

Just cuz you have talent doesn't mean it always translates.
I think that's what he's trying to say... Even though I'm not sure who had extreme talent and didn't really translate onto the field.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

Just cuz you have talent doesn't mean it always translates.
I think that's what he's trying to say... Even though I'm not sure who had extreme talent and didn't really translate onto the field.

Thank you chico49erfan. All I was trying to say is every year there are can't miss prospects ( think Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf) that fail. I think Cody has all the tools to be a very good NT. But the draft is never that easy.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
One of the guys that may get paid, lose motivation and eat himself out of the league.
Originally posted by Hopper:
One of the guys that may get paid, lose motivation and eat himself out of the league.

That would be my main worry. But I have not heard anything out of Bama about him being lazy.
pretty interesting article from espn
it talks about why Cody will be a bust, basically its because he has no endurance, here is the main part, its an insider article so here is the link for those who may insiders http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4618676

Alabama faced 116 rushing plays in those games and Cody was on the field for only 68 of them, or 58.6 percent. Nick Saban's defense also faced 165 pass plays and Cody was in the game on but 54 of those plays, or 32.7 percent. Add the two together and Cody was in the Alabama defensive lineup on only 122 of 281 plays -- or only 43.4 percent of the time. To look at it another way, he was on the field for approximately 30 out of 70 plays per game.

[ Edited by valrod33 on Nov 3, 2009 at 12:02:21 ]

some of yall just tripping this dude is easily a 1st round pick and playign very well.
Every huge DT faces this kind of scrutiny. Last year, Raji had his critics too. Just wait until the offseason and scouts get to see him on one-on-one matchups. The criticism will die down. There are very few, if any, Olineman coming out that can handle him by themselves.

He's a 1st rounder.

As for the talk about him "eating himself out of the league", that hardly ever happens. NFL teams are able to control those type of issues, unlike college coaches.
How does he compare to Jammal Williams out of college?
early 1st eric berry late first mount cody... my wishlist for niners 1sts. Oline in free agency, dont want another kwame, can draft an oline 2nd too.
I would have no problems with using our 2nd first rounder on Cody if Franklin is not resigned. I can almost guarantee that the 49ers D will not be run on if Cody is the NT.
Share 49ersWebzone