LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Geek's Mock Plan: 2023 V1

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Internal Personnel Moves -

Re-Sign: All ERFAs, RFAs, Brunskill, T. Moore, Kroft, Willis, Pepper ($15M spent)

Extend: Bosa (Reduce '23 cap by $5M)

Restructure: Armstead, McCaffery, C. Ward (Reduce '23 cap by $25M)

FA Targets -

Anticipated Cap Casualties: Barrett (EDGE, TB), Davis (CB, LAC)

Mid-Tier Signings: Thornhill (S, KC), Williams (CB, CLE)

Budget Buys: Sudfeld (QB, DET), Littleton (LB, CAR), Ioannidis (DE/DT, CAR), Dillard (T, PHI)

NFL Draft -

R3: Matthew Bergeron - T - Syracuse (comp)

R3: Luke Wypler - C - Ohio St. (comp)

R3: Will McDonald - EDGE - Iowa St. (comp)

R5: Jaylon Jones - CB - Texas A&M (via MIA)

R5: Keondre Coburn - NT - Texas

R5: Will Mallory - TE - Miami (comp)

R6: Tiawan Mullen - CB/S - Indiana

R7: Chad Ryland - K - Maryland (via DEN)

R7: Tiyon Evans - RB - Louisville

R7: Tyson Bagent - QB - Shepard (comp)

Projected Roster: selective, not exhaustive list of PS and post-June vet signings

QB: Purdy/Lance/Sudfeld* (PS: Bagent*)
RB: McCaffery/Mitchell/Mason/Price (PS: Evans*)
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Mallory*/Woerner (PS: Kroft)

WR: Samuel/Gray
WR: Aiyuk/McCloud
WR: Jennings (PS: Johnson, Martin)

LT: Williams/Dillard*
LG: Banks/Zakelj
C: Wypler*/Brunskill (PS: Ismael)
RG: Burford (INTL: Gutiérrez)
RT: Bergeron*/McKivitz (PS: Moore)

DE: S. Barrett*/Jackson
DT: Armstead/Ioannidis*/McGill (PS: Davis, Ridgeway)
DT: Kinlaw/Coburn*
DE: Bosa/McDonald*/Willis (PS: A. Barrett, Hyder)

LB: Warner/Burks/Fowles
LB: Greenlaw/Littleton* (PS: Robinson)

CB: Ward/Jones*
CB: Williams*/Davis*
NB: Lenior/Warmack (PS: Mullen*, Knight)
FS: Thornhill*/Gipson/Moore
SS: Hufanga/Odom (PS: Parker)

ST: Ryland, Wishnowsky, Pepper
[ Edited by GEEK on Feb 11, 2023 at 7:50 PM ]
I love this. Your thinking is right in line with mine. Drafting lineman on both sides of ball every year is key to winning.
Nice plan. Re-doing the DT rotation, getting a new OT and C, plus adding to the secondary is essential. Don't think McDonald and J. jones will drop that far in the draft, but I'd sure like them on the Niners if they do. Don't get the Sudfeld signing if the Niners get a 3rd QB in the draft. Still, would be happy with this type of offseason.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YayArea:
I love this. Your thinking is right in line with mine. Drafting lineman on both sides of ball every year is key to winning.

Thank you! And I 100% agree.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nice plan. Re-doing the DT rotation, getting a new OT and C, plus adding to the secondary is essential. Don't think McDonald and J. jones will drop that far in the draft, but I'd sure like them on the Niners if they do. Don't get the Sudfeld signing if the Niners get a 3rd QB in the draft. Still, would be happy with this type of offseason.

Hard to project so early candidly. I ran 3-4 mock draft simulator and compared my early projections with a bunch of draft board sites, and more often than not, McDonald and Jones were available. I agree that may not be true once we have the combine.

Sudfeld, it's more of having a vet in the room vs. two players with limited NFL seasons under their belt. And a 7th round QB on our team will likely be a PS candidate. Let's not have Purdy skew what happens >99% of the time with 7th round picks.
Jones isn't in your 53?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Wait a second do you have us signing the 5th year extension for kinlaw? He's not worth that amount of money and I honestly believe. Loannidus can start over him.

To be honest, though everything that I saw up until the kinlaw point was spot on. Loved it. I just can't imagine paying Kinlaw 11 million when he hasn't produced anything. We saw them healthy this year and he couldn't even hold the line. He's probably better than what we saw this year but he hasn't done anything to deserve 11 million.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Another thing, I love the Dillard pickup. Do you think Bergeron starts over him?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Wait a second do you have us signing the 5th year extension for kinlaw? He's not worth that amount of money and I honestly believe. Loannidus can start over him.

To be honest, though everything that I saw up until the kinlaw point was spot on. Loved it. I just can't imagine paying Kinlaw 11 million when he hasn't produced anything. We saw them healthy this year and he couldn't even hold the line. He's probably better than what we saw this year but he hasn't done anything to deserve 11 million.

Kinlaw is entering his 4th year and we will decline his option
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
Jones isn't in your 53?

Oops good catch. I have Ambry Thomas not making the roster in 2023.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

Do you really think Dillard sit on the bench behind your 3rd round tackle? I don't know too much about both of them. I do believe Dillard is a starter now.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:

Do you really think Dillard sit on the bench behind your 3rd round tackle? I don't know too much about both of them. I do believe Dillard is a starter now.

I wouldn't read too much into my mock depth chart at those competitive spots. TC and preseason will let em duke it out for the starter.

RE: Dillard - former 1st round pick that performed at a very high level at college, but plagued with injuries in PHI. He finally had a healthy year in '22 as a backup piece, but saw starts in his first and third years. He's a good fit for Shanahan's scheme. Sub 5 40 time, he's a smart player that just needs a fresh start. West coast guy from Washington. Likely a big downgrade as a run blocker, but parity if not slightly better at pass blocking to McGlinchey. That's the trade off of $12M+ with the projected contracts of the two.

RE: Bergeron - athletic but inconsistent will be the name of his game. He projects very well as a zone blocker, but his arm length may result in teams looking at him at Guard. It may take him a year to full acclimate to the NFL with proper technique. But I think he can be a mid-grade starter at RT. Even with all of that, I'd say we still take him given Williams age, Dillard's injury history, and McKivtiz's rawness as a starter.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I wouldn't read too much into my mock depth chart at those competitive spots. TC and preseason will let em duke it out for the starter.

RE: Dillard - former 1st round pick that performed at a very high level at college, but plagued with injuries in PHI. He finally had a healthy year in '22 as a backup piece, but saw starts in his first and third years. He's a good fit for Shanahan's scheme. Sub 5 40 time, he's a smart player that just needs a fresh start. West coast guy from Washington. Likely a big downgrade as a run blocker, but parity if not slightly better at pass blocking to McGlinchey. That's the trade off of $12M+ with the projected contracts of the two.

RE: Bergeron - athletic but inconsistent will be the name of his game. He projects very well as a zone blocker, but his arm length may result in teams looking at him at Guard. It may take him a year to full acclimate to the NFL with proper technique. But I think he can be a mid-grade starter at RT. Even with all of that, I'd say we still take him given Williams age, Dillard's injury history, and McKivtiz's rawness as a starter.

thank you
Hard to say at this point who goes where but the guys you have us taking I like and I'd be very happy if it fell like that.

Also dig the FA moves.
Seems pretty realistic overall…unless his ACL recovery is going awful, I don't see Mosley not getting resigned. Not a real fan of Williams, gotta be able to tackle to be a DB here and that's not really his thing. Also who's Davis?

thanks
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Hard to say at this point who goes where but the guys you have us taking I like and I'd be very happy if it fell like that.

Also dig the FA moves.

Thanks!

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Seems pretty realistic overall…unless his ACL recovery is going awful, I don't see Mosley not getting resigned. Not a real fan of Williams, gotta be able to tackle to be a DB here and that's not really his thing. Also who's Davis?

thanks

It's less about the ACL, and more about Wilks and the new CB coach preferred scheme. Also, we have to be careful as Eman is an injury prone player. I'd be ok with a 1 year, incentive laden deal ala Verrett. But nothing beyond that. And he's likely to get a bigger contract from the Texans or another team.
Share 49ersWebzone