LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Geek's Final Mock Plan (In-Depth, No Jimmy G Trade)

Originally posted by GEEK:
Assumptions:
- Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields go 1, 2, 3.
- DEN trades up to 4 for Lance; WFT trades up to 9 for Jones (ATL does a double trade down)
- We retain Jimmy G to start the season, but he's likely traded before the deadline as our rookie ramps up.

49er Mock Draft Trades -
- 49ers trade 2nd round pick for Browns 2nd and 3rd round picks. CLE trades up for LB prospect.
- 49ers trade 6th and K. Street for Jaguars 5th round pick.

49ers Mock Draft -

R1: Justin Fields - QB - Ohio St.
"He's got a plus-arm. He can drive the ball with velocity at the intermediate and deeper levels. He absolutely showed the ability to throw with touch. He feathered and layered throws when needed. He understood how to throw with pace. He does have experience with the conventional play-action pass game — and by conventional I mean under center with the quarterback turning his back to the defense — which is a learned trait. So he has experience with that. He certainly gives you second-reaction ability." - Greg Cosell

Geek's Takeaway: It's either Lance or Fields, but if Fields can address his decision quickness and minimize the amount of hits he takes, he's a player with the greatest upside among all QB prospects in my opinion.

R2: Dillon Radunz - T/G - NDSU (via CLE)
"He plays with good overall athleticism with regards to body control and balance. In the run game, he is excellent. He has a nasty disposition as a run blocker and wants to maul you. He can improve his proficiency at getting on moving defenders at the second level, but there's nothing alarming in this regard. He remains upright and demonstrates instances of good lateral redirect agility. He has the frame to gain more mass and bulk, which should make him more effective." - The Draft Network

Geek's Takeaway: He's always hungry to make a block. I'd plug him at RG day 1 with the eventual plan to kick him outside as McGlinchey's replacement at RT.

R3: Paulsen Adebo - CB - Stanford (via CLE)
"Adebo's size and ball skills give him a distinct advantage when the ball is in the air and he attacks throws with a receiver's mindset. He plays upright and lacks desired fluidity to shadow sharp route breaks and double moves. However, his ability to recover and make it home to the catch point could excite GMs and secondary coaches." - NFL.com

Geek's Takeaway: He's a 2nd round talent that drops because he sat out of the 2020 season.

R3: Kendrick Green - C/G - Illinois (comp)
"Green has the lateral mobility and functional athleticism to develop and continue to work with at the pro level—his potential as a recent position swap should not be ignored. That said, Green is understandably rough around the edges...but viewing him through the scope of a player who is still new to the position, the flashes of leverage at the point of attack and mobility, particularly at center, make him a worthwhile flier later in the draft." - The Draft Network

Geek's Takeaway: This is a pick for the future as Green will succeed Alex Mack in 2022.

R4: Anthony Schwartz - WR - Auburn
Overall, Schwartz needs to grow into more of a well-rounded, reliable receiver, but he has the rare natural speed and burst that no defensive back wants to face (and will likely get him overdrafted). He projects as a feast-or-famine NFL receiver with room to be more. - Dane Brugler

Geek's Takeaway: Elite speed that will open up the playbook for Kyle Shanahan.

R5: Jacob Harris - WR/TE - UCF (via JAX)
Harris plays with controlled burst and long strides to challenge defensive backs, flashing potential to run the full tight end route tree. In order to make it at the next level, he must improve his focus and finish as both a pass-catcher and blocker. Overall, Harris faces obvious growing pains and is older than ideal for a developmental prospect, but his blend of size and athleticism is rare and his special teams skills will keep him on an NFL roster as he develops. Several teams view him as a tight end while others grade him at wide receiver. - Dane Brugler

Geek's Takeaway: 6-5 with a 4.4 40 time, Harris replaces Jordan Reed as our #2 TE.

R5: Janarius Robinson - DE - Florida St.
He's an agile athlete with rare length and has the traits necessary to make plays on the next level, but his wingspan often goes to waste due to a lack of skilled hand usage, and he seems content to put it in cruise control in certain situations. He has the physical tools and athletic ability necessary to play in the league, but his ceiling and floor could be defined by his motor and willingness to put the work in that is necessary for improvement. - NFL.com

Geek's Takeaway: He'll be a project for our DL coach, but offers a lot of upside and will learn as a backup DL in year 1.

R5: Shawn Davis - S/NB - Florida (via NO)
A quick-twitched option that covers a lot of ground during ball pursuit, he can flat-out run when given free paths to the ball. Prior to his sophomore year, Davis spent a lot of time on special teams, which will expand his draft stock because of the multitude of areas that he possibly could come in and provide value. A fluid mover, Davis' smarts and awareness show up often no matter the coverage at hand. - The Draft Network

Geek's Takeaway: A more refined prospect than Marcell Harris, Davis could compete for a starting spot in 2022.

R5: Kary Vincent Jr - NB/S - LSU (comp)
Vincent has the hips, feet and burst to stay tight with routes as a pro, but only if he shows marked improvement with pattern recognition and his coverage technique. He's played (and practiced) against NFL-caliber competition and brings a resume full of experience against quality competition. His best football could be ahead of him, but he needs to fully transition from athlete to cornerback for that to happen. - NFL.com

Geek's Takeaway: He'll focus his time on ST in year 1, but could succeed Williams in 2022.

R7: Kene Nwangwu - RB/KR - Iowa St. (via NYJ)
"Nwangwu must improve his discipline as a running back, but he displays breakaway speed to start fast and finish faster with the ball in his hands. He holds the school record with a 26.85 kickoff return average (on 92 returns) and ranks No. 3 all-time in Big 12 history with 2,470 kick-return yards...must develop his patience, block recognition and receiving skills to warrant a spot on offense, but his home run speed and return skills could be his ticket to sticking on an NFL roster." - Dane Brugler

Geek's Takeaway: He reminds me so much of Mostert the prospect. Don't be surprised if he's a starter in 2023 in our system.

Post-Draft Free Agency Signings:
- K.J. Wright (LB, SEA)
- Richard Sherman (CB, SF)

Projected Depth Chart:

QB: Garoppolo/Fields*/Sudfeld* (PS: Rosen)
RB: Wilson/Mostert/Nwangwu* (PS: Hasty, Walter)
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Harris*/Dwelley/Woerner

WR: Aiyuk
WR: Samuel/Sherfield*
WR: Hurd/Schwartz* (PS: Sanu)

LT: Williams/McKivitz
LG: Tomlinson
C: Mack*/Green*
RG: Radunz*/Brunskill
RT: McGlinchey/Coleman

DE: Armstead/Ebukam*/Robinson*
DT: Kinlaw/Kerr*
DT: Jones/Daniels
DE: Bosa/Blair/Willis (PUP: Ford)

LB: Greenlaw/Gerry*
LB: Warner/Al-Shaair
LB: Wright* (PS: Flanningan-Flowers)

CB: Verrett/Moseley (PS: D. Johnson, Webster)
CB: Sherman/Adebo*
CB: Williams/Vincent*
FS: Ward/Davis*
SS: Tartt/Moore (PS: Wilson)

ST: Gould, Wishnowsky, Pepper

Like it! Make it happen! Go Niners!
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Damn good. Only question I would have is the following. Was Chris Rumph EDGE available in the 4th round in your mock? Would rather have a good tactician who needs to bulk up at EDGE versus the opposite. Love the first four picks and the emphasis late on special teams.

Thanks for the kind words. He was available. Chris Rumph is a tough evaluation. I love his hunger to make plays on the field. But I don't think he has enough elite attributes to be a dominant EDGE rusher in the NFL. NFL caliber offensive tackles would neutralize him in 1:1s unless he was going up against backups or took advantage of stunts / complex blitz designs.

Take a look at Ben Banogu from the Colts or Dakota Watson when he came out of college. I'm not saying it's apples to apples, but the Colts have bounced Banogu from LB to DE, and he was essentially benched due to his ineffectiveness. Watson carved out a role as a ST ace, but only provided some pass rush ability later in his career.

I like him as a 4-3 SAM with some ability to rush the passer in the NFL. But I don't think he has the current size or frame to regularly match up against OTs.

That makes sense. IMO Rumph has shown in college he can win inside or outside even with his smaller frame. He is already a tactician that has more than one way to win a matchup. I think he will still be effective ONCE he gets bulked up a bit in an NFL level strength and conditioning program. Will be interesting to see if Robinson can develop the tactical game to go with his impressive physical tools.
I really like this mock. Good job Geek. Just one question...do you really think Kary Vincent is going to last until the 5th round?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
That makes sense. IMO Rumph has shown in college he can win inside or outside even with his smaller frame. He is already a tactician that has more than one way to win a matchup. I think he will still be effective ONCE he gets bulked up a bit in an NFL level strength and conditioning program. Will be interesting to see if Robinson can develop the tactical game to go with his impressive physical tools.

Yeah I see Rumph as a 2-3 year development prospect to really bulk up -OR- a day 1 contributor at SAM. Yeah he pops on tape, but the question is if his frame can handle more weight AND if it's viable skill set against NFL tackles (big difference vs. Duke competitors).

Originally posted by YayArea:
I really like this mock. Good job Geek. Just one question...do you really think Kary Vincent is going to last until the 5th round?

Who knows. Bryce Hall was supposed to be a 3rd rounder, but ended up getting selected by the Jets in the 5th round last year.

Vincent has the physical attributes to be an effective NB/S, but it's the technique that needs work. Right now I've seen Vincent commonly projected as a late 4th to early 6th guy due to technique and the fact he's a pure inside CB.
Love it! Not sure if Radunz or Green will be where you have them but first 4 picks would be slam dunks. Don't even care about the rest lol
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Love it! Not sure if Radunz or Green will be where you have them but first 4 picks would be slam dunks. Don't even care about the rest lol

Totally fair. But when it comes to mocks, I generally give a 15-20 pick wiggle room in viability of players being available at the spot. Green is an early 3rd to early 4th prospect. He's ZBS-only prospect at 6-2. That will impact his value w. other teams. Main threat I see is the GB Packers in the 3rd round.
Share 49ersWebzone