There are 338 users in the forums

Geek's Mock Plan: Pre-Super Bowl Edition

  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,030
Resign: T. Williams, Hyder, Moseley, D. Johnson, Brunskill, Webster, Wilson, Pepper, Willis, Mullens, Rosen

Cut: Ford (J-1), Richburg (J-1), Nzeocha, Benjamin, Brendel

Extend: Warner

Free Agency:

Preston Smith - DE/LB - Packers
*Expected cap cut, scheme versatile; should be a reasonable 1 year prove it deal

Alex Mack - C - Falcons
*Obvious signing based on need, scheme, and connections; he will sign a team friendly deal

Jarrad Davis - LB - Lions
*Team friendly deal to reboot his career under Ryans mentorship

Cre'von LaBlanc - CB - Eagles
*Depth signing that can play inside and outside

Breshard Perriman - WR - Jets
*Signs yet another 1 year deal for a chance of a longer contract


NFL Draft:

49ers trade #12 for Chicago Bears #20 and 2022 1st round draft pick. Bears are desperate for a QB. Trade up for Mac Jones.
49ers trade #20 for Jets #34, #66, and #162. Jets trade up for EDGE, retain SEA 1st rd pick, and get more picks for Darnold.

R2: Creed Humphrey - C/G - Oklahoma (via NYJ) | Starts at right guard, flexes to center after Mack retires.

49ers trade #43 for Bucs #63, #159, and 2022 2nd round pick. Bucs trade up for Kyle Trask - QB, successor to Brady.

R2: Paulson Adebo - CB - Stanford (via TB) | Sat out in 2020, but great speed, height, and IQ at the position.

R3: Ronnie Perkins - EDGE - Oklahoma (via NYJ) | Some character concerns, but he's a great pass rush speedy talent for our D.

R3: Kary Vincent - NB/S - LSU (comp) | Slot CB or S, Vincent is lightning quick that could thrive in either role.

R4: Kellen Mond - QB - Texas A&M | Lots of qualities Shanahan prefers for a scheme fit. Developmental QB.

R5: Frank Darby - WR - Arizona St | SF double dips in the ASU talent with another WR. All around good player.

R5: Drake Jackson - C - Kentucky (via NO) | He drops due to a poor showing at the senior bowl, but developmental depth prospect.

R5: Tyree Gillespie - S - Mizz (via TB) | Safety depth with strong potential to make an impact on special teams.

R5: Khyiris Tonga - NT/DT - BYU (comp) | Fatty that competes for our 1 tech spot on base downs. Replaces Jones's role.

R6: Chris Rumph II - DE/LB - Duke (via NYJ) | Ideal fit is a strong-side LBer that can be a pass rusher on 3rd downs. Value on ST, too.

R6: William Bradley-King - EDGE - Baylor | Depth depth depth. Coach K needs more talent at the position.

R7: Elijah Hicks - CB - UCLA (via NYJ) | Depth competition for our secondary unit.

R7: Ben Mason - FB - Michigan | No one can fully replace Juice, but Mason competes with Hokit for the role.

Free Agency Follow Up:

Jahleel Addae - S - Chargers | Vet depth that competes with Moore at strong safety.

John Ross - WR - Bengals | Epic draft bust that signs a vet min deal to stretch the field.

James White - RB - Patriots | Vet leadership, but a strong pass catching threat at RB.

Post-Draft Trades: Assumption: These trades only occur if Watson has yet to be traded. Otherwise, these trades don't occur, we roll with JImmy for another year with a better OL and offensive weapons, And if we are in the hunt for a QB, we now have more draft ammo to trade up with 2 first round picks in 2022.

49ers trade 2022 two 1st round picks (SF, CHI), 3rd (SF comp) and 2023 1st round pick for Texans QB Watson.
*Lynch & Co do the savvy thing and wait this trade out. Coaches and FOs don't want dooming uncertainty at the position, so they will find their QBs via the draft (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones) or secure vets on the block (Stafford, Goff, Darnold). Outside of the Bears and WFT, the 49ers are the only viable landing spot in the NFC (ideal for the Texans). And thru trade downs, secure ENOUGH picks to satisfy the haul requirements while maintaining picks for future roster development via draft.

For the Texans, 2021 is going to be an ugly year as planned. Watt is also expected to be traded. The Texans could potentially have 4 first round draft picks in 2022. And if they fire their newly hired HC after 1 season, the role and franchise will be in greater demand.

49ers trade Jimmy Garoppolo for Patriots 2023 2nd round draft pick (eqiv of 3rd rd pick in 2022).
*Regardless of your opinion of him for his on-field performance, he couldn't have been a better 49er in the locker room and off the field. We do him right by sending him back to NE - McDaniels should be able to reignite his skills once again.

Depth Chart:


QB: Watson/Rosen/Mond | PUP: Mullens
*If Watson trade does not occur, swap him for Garoppolo instead

RB: Wilson/Mostert/White/Hasty
FB: Mason
TE: Kittle/Dwelley/Woerner | PS: Hurd

WR: Aiyuk/James
WR: Samuel/Darby
WR: Perriman | PS: Jennings, Ross

LT: Williams/Coleman
LG: Tomlinson
C: Mack/Jackson
RG: Humphrey/McKivitz
RT: McGlinchey/Brunskill

DE: Smith/Perkins
DT: Hyder/Street/Tonga
DT: Armstead/Kinlaw/Givens
DE: Bosa/Willis | PS: Bradley-King

LB: Warner/Davis/Rumph
LB: Greenlaw/Al-Shaair

CB: Moseley/LaBlanc
CB: Adebo/Johnson
NB: Vincent/Webster | PS: Hicks
FS: Ward/Gillespie
SS: Moore/Addae

ST: Gould, Wishnowsky, Pepper
[ Edited by GEEK on Jan 30, 2021 at 10:52 PM ]
I like it GEEK.

Quite a lot of draft trades to process there but we came away with some very good players.

My biggest concern would be at CB and NB. Starting a rookie CB who hasn't played football since 2019 would be a big time risk. Should Moseley miss any time we are screwed. I would consider bringing back Jamar Taylor at NB. Will probably be on PUP to start the year but if the rookie struggles at NB, Taylor could step in and play well.

You have Perriman at WR but not sure if he was in your signings or draft?

Overall having Watson in the team elevates us to probably favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl so I'm down for it
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Jan 30, 2021 at 9:37 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,030
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I like it GEEK.

Quite a lot of draft trades to process there but we came away with some very good players.

My biggest concern would be at CB and NB. Starting a rookie CB who hasn't played football since 2019 would be a big time risk. Should Moseley miss any time we are screwed. I would consider bringing back Jamar Taylor at NB. Will probably be on PUP to start the year but if the rookie struggles at NB, Taylor could step in and play well.

You have Perriman at WR but not sure if he was in your signings or draft?

Overall having Watson in the team elevates us to probably favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl so I'm down for it

Thanks man! Oof, I goofed. We signed Perriman in FA from the Jets as a replacement for Bourne.

Hear you regarding CB and NB. I'd be a fan of resigning Taylor. He may start on PuP due to his late in the season ACL tear. Otherwise, I think a youth movement and overhaul is in order. And a better pass rush, paired with strong coaching, should be able to showcase a respectable unit.

One other consideration for CB. We trade Jimmy Garoppolo for the Patriots Gilmore straight up. Short term solve but gives us talent for another SB run.
Great draft. If Watson goes to higher bidder, would you consider trading wayyyyy less for Derek Carr?? OL looks good. For next couple of yrs.
Wow this would a a hell of an offseason. I've never thought of that, trading down and acquiring so much assets and give em all to the Texans while upgrading our oline and getting solid vets.


If this happens I'm buying you Watson jersey geek
Originally posted by GEEK:
Thanks man! Oof, I goofed. We signed Perriman in FA from the Jets as a replacement for Bourne.

Hear you regarding CB and NB. I'd be a fan of resigning Taylor. He may start on PuP due to his late in the season ACL tear. Otherwise, I think a youth movement and overhaul is in order. And a better pass rush, paired with strong coaching, should be able to showcase a respectable unit.

One other consideration for CB. We trade Jimmy Garoppolo for the Patriots Gilmore straight up. Short term solve but gives us talent for another SB run.

Jimmy G would be awesome for Gillmore straight up
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,030
Originally posted by danielrod1008:
Great draft. If Watson goes to higher bidder, would you consider trading wayyyyy less for Derek Carr?? OL looks good. For next couple of yrs.

I don't think Mariotta has outplayed Carr. So unless the Raiders find a new QB in the draft, or replace him for another grizzled vet like Dalton, I think he remains a Raider in 2021.

Lastly, I put Derek Carr in the Alex Smith camp. Good QB to field a competitive offense, but not the type that can own the field and elevate the unit. Frankly, I rather hang on to Jimmy G unless Carr can be had for dirt cheap.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,030
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Wow this would a a hell of an offseason. I've never thought of that, trading down and acquiring so much assets and give em all to the Texans while upgrading our oline and getting solid vets.


If this happens I'm buying you Watson jersey geek

Haha thanks. Unfortunately, I rarely hit on my mocks. So I probably jinxed this whole damn plan.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,030
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Thanks man! Oof, I goofed. We signed Perriman in FA from the Jets as a replacement for Bourne.

Hear you regarding CB and NB. I'd be a fan of resigning Taylor. He may start on PuP due to his late in the season ACL tear. Otherwise, I think a youth movement and overhaul is in order. And a better pass rush, paired with strong coaching, should be able to showcase a respectable unit.

One other consideration for CB. We trade Jimmy Garoppolo for the Patriots Gilmore straight up. Short term solve but gives us talent for another SB run.

Jimmy G would be awesome for Gillmore straight up

It may require more assets to acquire Gilmore, but I think it's a pretty fair trade as QBs are premium in value. It also depends if Jimmy G wants to go back to NE. That's a big question mark based on what we are hearing after Brady's departure.
My guess is that the Watson scenario will be decided long before draft day. Same with the Niners. If the Niners haven't replaced Jimmy G by draft day, they aren't going to to trade him even if they decide to move up for someone like Fields, Wilson or Lance.

That said, I like your approach on trading down and building depth all across the roster. You double (or triple) up on the areas of need at EDGE, safety and CB plus add a new FB to potentially replace Juice. The only picks I would change involve the offensive line and the skill positions. Both Humphrey and Jackson are Centers only IMO so you don't need four C's (Mack, Humphrey, Jackson AND Brunskill) with Ben Garland also potentially coming back. I would think you could add a OG/OT hybrid like Alaric Jackson from Iowa instead of Drake Jackson. Instead of two safeties, a third CB or a third EDGE player, I would like to see a RB pick instead of spending money on James White. Pooka Williams Kansas or Brian Robinson Jr. Alabama seem to be popular options. Good mock overall.

Makes no sense to sign Preston Smith if we are resigning Hyder. I'm not kicking Hyder inside for a guy who was a total disappointment with 4.5 sacks.

I'd be terrified if that was our starting secondary.

Im down with any mock that nets is Watson
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,030
Originally posted by lamontb:
Makes no sense to sign Preston Smith if we are resigning Hyder. I'm not kicking Hyder inside for a guy who was a total disappointment with 4.5 sacks.

I'd be terrified if that was our starting secondary.

Im down with any mock that nets is Watson

Hyder is what we had hoped K. Street would be - a guy that can be effective as a 3T or outside on the edge. Hyder has experience playing both, and can easily flex outside as evident in his 2020 season. It's also just a depth chart for our primary 4-2-5 sets.

Agree our secondary would be a big risk due to a youth movement. May make sense to also resign Verrett if it's a reasonable contract.
Hi GEEK, absolutely love the idea of stocking up on future draft picks in an attempt to get Watson, but I think I would tweak your approach a little bit. Instead of trading down with the Bears I would probably try to trade down with a team that could potentially end up with a top draft pick next year. I bet the Lions will be the clear loser in the NFC North as they will be looking to do a rebuild with their new GM. Furthermore they are flush with future 1st rnd picks and therefore could be inclined to trade them in order to begin their rebuild a year earlier. I don't know what we would have to give up on top of our 12th to get the Lions 1st in 2022 and then the Rams 1st in 2023 (I expect Rams to be decent next year, but they could possibly implode in 2023) + Lions 2nd in 2021.

This way we would have a good package for Watson in case he becomes available or we have a good chance for a top pick without needing to trade up next year.

The second thing I would consider is to simply free up as much cap space as possible in order to be flexible for the influx of free agent cap cassualties later in the off-season. I even think I would not re-sign T Williams until we have seen what else becomes available. I think teams that re-sign FAs early this year will end up overpaying since the available altetnatives are not as competitive ad they will be later in the off-season.

What I would consider is to sign Verett since we simply need some consistency in our secondary unit. As it stands now, that unit will lose their leader in Sherman, the position coach in Odon and the DC in Saleh. Ideally we should prioritize another good vet in FA later, but also draft some prospects that could develop. I would not prioritize Hyder, I know he had a great season but Kocurek has shown he can develop guys every year, so here I would draft someone in the early rounds and find cheap vets to support.

I would let Jimmy go no matter what since he would hinder our FA flexibility and sign a cheap Vet (in case we don't get Watson) to compete with Rosen, Mond and Mullens. If we don't get Watson then we can use that cap on getting an insane roster through FA which should be able to carry any QB + Shanahan to the playoffs and we would be in a great position to go get a franchise QB in next years draft.

I am actually starting to consider going with this approach even if Watson becomes available. This approach would fit a lot better in the brick by brick mentality.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something obvious that woyld ruin this plan (despite half our team getting injured again)?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,030
Originally posted by Cjsloth:
Hi GEEK, absolutely love the idea of stocking up on future draft picks in an attempt to get Watson, but I think I would tweak your approach a little bit. Instead of trading down with the Bears I would probably try to trade down with a team that could potentially end up with a top draft pick next year. I bet the Lions will be the clear loser in the NFC North as they will be looking to do a rebuild with their new GM. Furthermore they are flush with future 1st rnd picks and therefore could be inclined to trade them in order to begin their rebuild a year earlier. I don't know what we would have to give up on top of our 12th to get the Lions 1st in 2022 and then the Rams 1st in 2023 (I expect Rams to be decent next year, but they could possibly implode in 2023) + Lions 2nd in 2021.

This way we would have a good package for Watson in case he becomes available or we have a good chance for a top pick without needing to trade up next year.

The second thing I would consider is to simply free up as much cap space as possible in order to be flexible for the influx of free agent cap cassualties later in the off-season. I even think I would not re-sign T Williams until we have seen what else becomes available. I think teams that re-sign FAs early this year will end up overpaying since the available altetnatives are not as competitive ad they will be later in the off-season.

What I would consider is to sign Verett since we simply need some consistency in our secondary unit. As it stands now, that unit will lose their leader in Sherman, the position coach in Odon and the DC in Saleh. Ideally we should prioritize another good vet in FA later, but also draft some prospects that could develop. I would not prioritize Hyder, I know he had a great season but Kocurek has shown he can develop guys every year, so here I would draft someone in the early rounds and find cheap vets to support.

I would let Jimmy go no matter what since he would hinder our FA flexibility and sign a cheap Vet (in case we don't get Watson) to compete with Rosen, Mond and Mullens. If we don't get Watson then we can use that cap on getting an insane roster through FA which should be able to carry any QB + Shanahan to the playoffs and we would be in a great position to go get a franchise QB in next years draft.

I am actually starting to consider going with this approach even if Watson becomes available. This approach would fit a lot better in the brick by brick mentality.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something obvious that woyld ruin this plan (despite half our team getting injured again)?

You pose some interesting questions that merit further discussion. Would love to see your own mock on this forum.

RE: Lions trade - it takes two to tango. Lions are committed to a long-term build. It makes no sense for them to give up their own 2022 1st round pick, especially if they pick QB w. their 1st round pick. The reason why I project the Bears to that is because of their clear void at QB + their GM and HC are on their last legs. They are more likely to be in a desperate situation to trade future assets to save their butts.

RE: Free up cap space now to sign future cap casualties - Not sure I buy this fully because we don't know WHO will actually get cut. My two main resignings - T. Williams, Hyder - are well deserving of their contracts and may be cheaper than overpaying for FAs. While the cap is lower in 2021, there are plenty of flush cap space teams that need EDGE and LT and would overpay to secure those. NYJ being one. We are not at the point of a rebuild, so I don't see why we would not resign some key vets.

RE: Verrett - yeah I think we do ultimately sign him to a reasonable deal. However, Shanahan and Lynch are likely skittish to give a mult-year contract to someone who's been super injury prone in his career. It's 50-50 at this point.

RE: Jimmy - I completely disagree with you on the Jimmy G approach. He's got a VERY reasonable contract with low GTD for 2021 and beyond. Until we actually find a true upgrade, we should keep a good serviceable starter on our roster.
Thanks for getting back to me.

Not sure I fully agree that Lions are not desperate. They just acquired a mediocre QB with an insane contract (which they cant get oit off for several years without taking a big hit). They need to show that they can win with him so they need protection and seversl weapons. But okay lets park the Lions trade for now.

Next scenario is Houston trades Watson somewhere else. Then the Texans definitely will be despearate to go all in on this draft and will still be such a mess next year, that their pick would be very high.

Regarding T Williams, I am just not sure he is worth that money. Like you pointed out I would not spend too much money on injury prone players. And would rather increase the quality across the line than having one elite tackle. So unless we can get him on a back loaded deal and hope his body holds up for another 3-4 years which would be okay.

Now Jimmy, if I am not mistaken then his cap hit is 26m next year that is pretty significant. I am honestly not a hater, I think Jimmy is fine I just don't like his durability. Most importantly I would just assume he is fed up with all the rumors and I think his confidence when playing for Shanahan is in the toilet, therefore I am convinced thst there are cheaper alternatives out there that could be used as a bridge unless Rosen suddenly turns it on (hopefully we are re-signing him because Shanahan has seen something in him). With the 20+ extra cap space we could get 2-3 quality players which would help significantly. Yes, we don't know who becomes available but just looking at the Saints if they cut some OLers or CBs, we could be a good landing spot. I don't think we need to overpay anymore, it seems 49ers are a place where players wants to be, especially in a conference with no true favorite and several teams on the decline.

Regarding Hyder, yes he absolutely deserves a pay day, I just don't think it should be at 49ers. There are decent prospects in the draft and we will have other guys returning from injury that could help out.

Regarding draft prospects I have a couple I think would fit us nicely, but we can get into that later.
Share 49ersWebzone