There are 168 users in the forums

October Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Assumptions:
- Saleh is retained (assume this until you hear otherwise...), and will have more money to spend on recruiting talent to build his defense.
- Shanahan remains as the playcaller, but he hires a new Asst. HC with a defensive background - Jim Haslett, Kris Richard, Richard Smith, etc.
- We spend big in free agency with Lynch freeing up more cap space by course correcting bad contact mistakes.

Resign: Gould, Pinion, Nelson, Mostert, Mabin, Morris, Lee | $12M spent

Release: Armstead, Watson, Mitchell*, M. Smith*, Marsh*, Coyle* | $23M saved (* indicates post-June 1st releases)

$80M in salary cap room...

Free Agency: $50M spent

Big Signings -

Earl Thomas - FS - Seahawks | We finally get our FS cornerstone for 3 years of productivity. Saleh and Sherm ties. Colbert and Tartt compete for SS.

Brandon Graham - DE - Eagles | Base LEO. Doesn't rack up the sacks but he puts pressure on the QB and creates turnovers. Positive D plays.

Shaquil Barrett - SLB - Broncos | Ideal SAM that can line up at DE on pass downs. Rotational player that's ready for a starting role. Peters ties.

Jermaine Kearse - WR - Jets | Outside receiver that allows Garcon to play in the slot, making Taylor expandable.

Economical Signings -

Maxx Williams - TE - Ravens | Former 1st round pick with good blocking TE skills. Sleeper as a pass catcher.

Kyle Emanuel - SLB - Chargers | Another SLB that can contribute on ST duties.

Pierre Desir - CB - Colts | Better scheme fit than Ward to compete with Witherspoon.

NFL Draft: We pick 8th overall in the draft.

R1: Jonah Williams - T/G - Alabama | Joe Staley's successor at LT, but starts at LG to keep him oriented on the left side. Tomlinson moves to RG.

49ers trade 2nd and 3rd round picks for TB Bucs 1st round pick

R1: Josh Allen - SLB/LEO - Kentucky | We go all in with pass rush. Graham, Allen, and Barrett paired with Thomas and Buckner should wreak havoc.

*Trade: 49ers trade WR Taylor and 6th round pick for Patriots 4th round draft pick.

R4: Khalil Hodge - LB - Buffalo | Enhance depth at LB, upgrade over M. Smith and Coyle.

R7: Daylon Mack - NT - Texas A&M | 0 Tech player that will compete for a PS position.

Depth Chart:

QB: Garoppolo/Beathard
RB: McKinnion/Breida/Morris/Mostert
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Williams*/Celek

WR: Kearse*/Pettis
WR: Goodwin/James
WR: Garcon/Bourne

LT: Staley/Coleman
LG: Williams*
C: Richburg/Magnuson
RG: Tomlinson/Garnett
RT: McGlinchey/Gilliam

DE: Thomas/Taylor
NT: Jones/Day
DT: Buckner/Street
DE: Graham*/Allen*

SLB: Barrett*/Emanuel*
MLB: Warner/Hodge*
WLB: Foster/Lee

CB: Sherman/Moore
CB: Witherspoon/Desir*/Mabin
CB: Williams/Reed
FS: Thomas*/Colbert
SS: Tartt/Harris

ST: Gould, Pinion, Nelson
I'm down. 😎👍
Saleh staying Taylor going? But otherwise I like it. I would have picked up at least one more OG though.
what if instead of Kearse at WR we Sign Golden Tate he should be available too , Nice Overall Tho
Kind of hate going OT with the early pick again with so much great pass rush talen on the board but you have us getting Allen and Graham via FA so it's hard to hate.

Awesome work putting all that together. Love the Earl Thomas signing. I really hope we make that happen.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Kind of hate going OT with the early pick again with so much great pass rush talen on the board but you have us getting Allen and Graham via FA so it's hard to hate.

Awesome work putting all that together. Love the Earl Thomas signing. I really hope we make that happen.

Thank you.

Agreed on your sentiment about the OT pick. Candidly, I have a feeling that Staley may hang it up after this season. IF he doesn't, then we are desperately going to want his replacement on the roster in 2019. Seems like they want to keep McGlinchey on the right side for now. And with the void at the other G spot, we could do a lot with just one draft pick to address a current need and future need.

College season is still early. If more OL talent starts to emerge, then we could flip it where we get pass rush in top 10 followed by OL trade up to address the position.
Nice. Id add Gilliam to the cut list as well. If Fowler hits the market I'd go him over Graham
Originally posted by GEEK:
Assumptions:
- Saleh is retained (assume this until you hear otherwise...), and will have more money to spend on recruiting talent to build his defense.
- Shanahan remains as the playcaller, but he hires a new Asst. HC with a defensive background - Jim Haslett, Kris Richard, Richard Smith, etc.
- We spend big in free agency with Lynch freeing up more cap space by course correcting bad contact mistakes.

Resign: Gould, Pinion, Nelson, Mostert, Mabin, Morris, Lee | $12M spent

Release: Armstead, Watson, Mitchell*, M. Smith*, Marsh*, Coyle* | $23M saved (* indicates post-June 1st releases)

$80M in salary cap room...

Free Agency: $50M spent

Big Signings -

Earl Thomas - FS - Seahawks | We finally get our FS cornerstone for 3 years of productivity. Saleh and Sherm ties. Colbert and Tartt compete for SS.

Brandon Graham - DE - Eagles | Base LEO. Doesn't rack up the sacks but he puts pressure on the QB and creates turnovers. Positive D plays.

Shaquil Barrett - SLB - Broncos | Ideal SAM that can line up at DE on pass downs. Rotational player that's ready for a starting role. Peters ties.

Jermaine Kearse - WR - Jets | Outside receiver that allows Garcon to play in the slot, making Taylor expandable.

Economical Signings -

Maxx Williams - TE - Ravens | Former 1st round pick with good blocking TE skills. Sleeper as a pass catcher.

Kyle Emanuel - SLB - Chargers | Another SLB that can contribute on ST duties.

Pierre Desir - CB - Colts | Better scheme fit than Ward to compete with Witherspoon.

NFL Draft: We pick 8th overall in the draft.

R1: Jonah Williams - T/G - Alabama | Joe Staley's successor at LT, but starts at LG to keep him oriented on the left side. Tomlinson moves to RG.

49ers trade 2nd and 3rd round picks for TB Bucs 1st round pick

R1: Josh Allen - SLB/LEO - Kentucky | We go all in with pass rush. Graham, Allen, and Barrett paired with Thomas and Buckner should wreak havoc.

*Trade: 49ers trade WR Taylor and 6th round pick for Patriots 4th round draft pick.

R4: Khalil Hodge - LB - Buffalo | Enhance depth at LB, upgrade over M. Smith and Coyle.

R7: Daylon Mack - NT - Texas A&M | 0 Tech player that will compete for a PS position.

Depth Chart:

QB: Garoppolo/Beathard
RB: McKinnion/Breida/Morris/Mostert
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Williams*/Celek

WR: Kearse*/Pettis
WR: Goodwin/James
WR: Garcon/Bourne

LT: Staley/Coleman
LG: Williams*
C: Richburg/Magnuson
RG: Tomlinson/Garnett
RT: McGlinchey/Gilliam

DE: Thomas/Taylor
NT: Jones/Day
DT: Buckner/Street
DE: Graham*/Allen*

SLB: Barrett*/Emanuel*
MLB: Warner/Hodge*
WLB: Foster/Lee

CB: Sherman/Moore
CB: Witherspoon/Desir*/Mabin
CB: Williams/Reed
FS: Thomas*/Colbert
SS: Tartt/Harris

ST: Gould, Pinion, Nelson

I love the realism with the approach to the coaching staff. In spite of what we may want, the reality is the staff stays in tact until otherwise noted. Not a big fan of Pinion, but like the other resignings. Now that Malcolm Smith is actually playing, he hasn't been half bad and I would like an ILB that we can count on in the event Reuben Foster is hurt or there is some other issue, but his salary is just too high. Perhaps they can ask him to cut salary or be released. With what Dekoda Watson did, it's going to be a hard sell for now releasing him, but the other guys can go.

Signing Earl Mitchell and Shaq Barrett are homerun signings. I thought Pettis was viewed as the success to Garcon, so I'd go in a different direction at receiver. I might be rolling the dice, but I think this team waits before drafting a tackle high. I can't say I don't like your commitment to ensuring the O-line is locked down for the next several years however. All in all, a good mock draft where I can see our offense taking the next leap and out defense being competent.
Share 49ersWebzone