LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 377 users in the forums

Geek's Feb Mock

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Coaching Staff Assumptions:

HC - Shanahan; OC - LaFleur; DC - Brian Flores (current LB coach - Patriots, connection with VP Peters)

49ers convert to the WCO and 4-3 schemes.

Conservative FA signings (numerous signings, mostly direct connections with realistic signings, not a lot of large contracts)

Only 1 draft day trade (another team aggressively trades up for a QB)

--

Release: Kaepernick - QB; Brooks - DE/LB; Bethea - S

Resign: Hodges - LB

Free Agency: Italics indicates direct connection with FO or coaching staff member.

High Priced - Pierre Garcon (WR, Redskins); Logan Ryan (CB, Patriots)

Moderate Priced - Andre Branch (DE, Dolphins); Brian Hoyer (QB, Bears); Abry Jones (NT, Jaguars); Patrick DiMarco (FB, Falcons)

Low Priced - Alfred Morris (RB, Cowboys - cap cut); Aldrick Robinson (WR, Falcons); Tom Compton (T/G, Falcons); Paul Worrilow (LB, Falcons)

NFL Draft:

49ers trade 1st round pick for Jets 1st, 2nd, and 2018 2nd round draft picks.

R1: Solomon Thomas (DE, Stanford - via NYJ) | His game reminds me a lot of Justin Smith. Physical DE that can attack against the run and pass.

R2: Jarrad Davis (LB, Florida) | Immediate starter at the LB position. We complete the overhaul of our front 7.

R2: Nathan Peterman (QB, Pitt - via NYJ) | Rising up draft boards, and while this may be a reach, he's got the smarts and talent to develop.

R3: Cooper Kupp (WR, EWU) | Projected slot receiver with great hands and route running skills.

R4: Kyle Fuller (C, Baylor) | Immediately competes with Kilgore for the starting job. Fuller can play G and C if needed.

R4: Zane Gonzales (K, Arizona St. - via comp) | Best K in the draft and replaces Dawson in 2017.

R5: Jehu Chesson (WR, Michigan) | Off year but good size for the outside with potential to flex to the slot.

R6: Scott Orndoff (TE, Pitt) | Could go higher, but had a VERY productive year. Good all around TE.

R6: Justin Davis (RB, USC - via DEN) | Depth at RB that would be a nice fit for the zone scheme.

R7: Sefo Liufau (QB, Colorado - via CLE) | 3rd stringer developmental QB but good arm, good reads, and mobile.

R7: Brandon Bell (LB, Penn St) | Developmental LBer to add depth to unit.

Depth Chart:

QB: Hoyer/Peterman*/Liufau*
RB: Hyde/Morris*/Davis*
FB: DiMarco*
TE: McDonald/Orndoff*/Celek

WR: Garcon*/Chesson*
WR: Smith/Robinson*
WR: Kupp*/Burbridge*

LT: Staley
LG: Beadles/Compton*
C: Fuller*/Kilgore
RG: Garnett/Cooper
RT: Brown/Theus*

LE: Branch*/Lynch
DT: Armstead/A.Jones*
DT: Buckner/Dial
RE: Thomas*/Blair/Harold

LB: Hodges/Bell*
LB: Bowman/Worrilow*
LB: Davis*/Armstrong

CB: Ryan*/Redmond/Reaser
CB: Robinson/Brock/Iworah
FS: Ward/Johnson
SS: Reid/Tartt

ST: Gonzales*, Pinion, Nelson
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
A really solid offseason. I'm a little torn on the move to the 4-3 defense but I could get on board with it. On a side note I am a big fan of going after Alfred Morris. He did really well in Kyle's offense in Washington and could step in for when (not if) Hyde gets hurt.
I like this a lot if we do move to a 4-3. I love Thomas and am a big fan of jarrad Davis. Would prefer to stick to a 3-4 based scheme, tho.

I haven't watched any Kyle fuller tape, but his draft profile says he has below-average athletic ability and struggles with combo blocks, the two most essential elements to zone running.

Alfred Morris would be a nice pickup if he does get cut.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 2, 2017 at 12:34 AM ]
Nice mock there
Nice mock. Like the double down on QB's and the additions to the front 7 in the draft. Don't think the Niners will be able to sign that many free agents, even with their $80 million plus in cap space pre Kaep cut. A 4th rounder for a kicker is a little early, but I like the player.
not bad at all! I'm not on the 4-3 bandwagon at all too be honest...I think our two youngest DE aren't a fit for a 4-3.
Fine Mock!

Disagree on your FA picks.

Not heir quality but the quantity

I just can't see 10 FA
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Nice mock but not a fan of Buck at DT. Gonna get killed again against the run. He's a beast if you put him at 4-3 DE though. That's the perfect spot for his pass rushing ability. As a late round QB, I'd put Evans and Kelly over Liufau.
[ Edited by TheNef77 on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:32 AM ]
its definitely realistic. I dont know about Armstead and Buckner playing the middle. Seems like our run D would be lacking. I would like to pick up a good big body to put in one of those two DT spots
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Good feedback.

Regarding the # of free agents - quantity may be high, but 49ers are not going to resign a lot of free agents, and won't 100% concentrate on their replacements in the draft or UDFA. Guys like Compton are experienced in the WCO under Shanahan as backups, and would have a chance to legitimately start in SF. Compton replaces Tiller (not a scheme fit), Robinson replaces Ellington (old regime), Garcon replaces...uhhh...Baalke's bad juju.

And I wouldn't get too caught up in the 4-3/3-4 lineup. We'll be rotating quite a bit and have scheme flex. Think about the options...

Running downs:

Buckner-Dial-Jones-Thomas (Armstead/Blair/Branch/Harold rotating in) | Hodges-Bowman-Davis

Passing downs:

Branch-Buckner-Armstead-Lynch (Thomas/Blair rotating in)| Hodges-Davis/Bowman

And a 3-4 scheme would look like:

Buckner-Jones-Thomas with Armstead/Dial/Blair as rotations

Branch-Davis-Bowman-Lynch with Harold/Hodges/Armstrong as rotations

Point is - get the best front 7 on the field, and figure out the ideal scheme fit for the players and match up.
[ Edited by GEEK on Feb 2, 2017 at 10:46 AM ]

I tend to agree they'll sign a number of FA's but not many for big bucks. I'd spend the bucks on a NT like Brandon Williams...dude's totally worth it. Ditto Pierre Garcon, although I think they could sign him for less than some think. I'm sure they'll look for some OL who fit KS's ZBS. A TE worth signing is Jack Doyle...he's very sure-handed which none of our current TE's are...not sure how skilled he is at blocking, a must if you're playing in KS's offense. A RB they should be able to get on the cheap is Lance Dunbar...he's been buried behind Dallas' big dudes, but is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. I like Ingram of the Chargers, too. It's important they sign a number of these vets to mix/mentor the youngsters that are coming. I'm not big on Hoyer...he has played under Shanahan, which is a plus. I really like McCarron...he's not a FA, but they could likely get him in a trade.

I like Thomas a lot...but really don't see him as a #2 pick in this draft. We haven't heard much from Shanahan yet due to his Falcon commitments, but I doubt he could pass up Mike Williams if they stand pat and don't trade down (which I think they should do). Our WR corps is miserable...so I think he'd lobby hard to get the best WR in this draft. If he comes out of this draft with Williams & Cupp, that's a great start to rebuilding the WR corps.

I know Peterman's fairly highly rated...but I really wasn't that impressed with him at the Senior Bowl. He definitely needs to learn how to throw much better on the move, IMHO. The guy I like better is Mahomes...I know he played in a spread offense at TT, but he's got all the tools...size, arm, accuracy & mobility. The other thing I like about him is his moxie...he's a baller and has a very high football IQ.

I like Elflein over Fuller at C. He's been compared to Zach Martin in Dallas. Yet another of the excellent OL the Buckeyes seem to have every season.

Agree it's time to cut bait w/Dawson...Gonzalez was nothing but impressive in the Senior Bowl.

I'd take a RB before the 6th rd...among McNichols, Kareem Hunt even Brian Hill. The first two are not just terrific runners, but excellent receivers. Hill was one of the most consistent RB's in college the last 2 seasons. Not sure how good/bad his hands are, though.

I didn't see a S on your list anywhere...I think it's a position they'll need to improve, especially since the likelihood of letting Reid play out his contract seems fairly high.

Overall, I like your plan. We'll know a lot more in the coming days/weeks about the kind of players our new leadership will covet. Great signing of Adam Peters...dude's widely acknowledged as arguably the best player evaluator in the league. I'm sure both Shanahan & Lynch will pick his brain a ton.
I'd definitely be cool with that draft. Thomas is the guy I'm eyeing if we trade down as well.

Your FA class however would leave a lot to be desired from my pov but i'm just another couch GM :)
Love the Logan Ryan pickup
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
I'd definitely be cool with that draft. Thomas is the guy I'm eyeing if we trade down as well.

Your FA class however would leave a lot to be desired from my pov but i'm just another couch GM :)

Thanks. Regarding the FA Class - let's lay the foundation down before we start aggressively targeting FAs.

Once we have a system in place, and the young foundation has 1-2 years of experience, then aggressively go after FAs on both sides of the ball.

Let's not waste time signing FAs at their peak when in 2-3 seasons we are competing for the playoffs and their play drops off. Build the foundation, show some progress, and then take that big step up with strong FA signings. Oakland is a prime example.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by genus49:

Thanks. Regarding the FA Class - let's lay the foundation down before we start aggressively targeting FAs.

Once we have a system in place, and the young foundation has 1-2 years of experience, then aggressively go after FAs on both sides of the ball.

Let's not waste time signing FAs at their peak when in 2-3 seasons we are competing for the playoffs and their play drops off. Build the foundation, show some progress, and then take that big step up with strong FA signings. Oakland is a prime example.

This I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed in free agency this year. My hope is the same find some younger cheaper free agents that fit the scheemes and roll with the big money a year or two when they have identified the needs. Also no Kerley? Last year was the first in a long time that I didn't worry on punt returns would like to see him back for that alone. Also interested to see eric rogers in this offense his size and speed is interesting.
[ Edited by Izyniner on Feb 2, 2017 at 5:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone