There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Belt was just the 10th player to bat at least eight times, collect no hits and strike out at least five times. Chris Davis did it last year. If only he could become Chris Davis.

don't worry he just needs another chance to shine in the 3 spot
Belt was just the 10th player to bat at least eight times, collect no hits and strike out at least five times. Chris Davis did it last year. If only he could become Chris Davis.

I remember that game.

At least Chris Davis was the winning pitcher in that game.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Yep. That he was. Maybe the Giants should convert Belt. LOL He is hitting like a pitcher right now.

Yep. That he was. Maybe the Giants should convert Belt. LOL He is hitting like a pitcher right now.

Was batting .327 over his last 15 I believe before that game.

Hilariously enough, I'm pretty sure he's an emergency reliever in case the game goes too long.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran

He was on the upswing before yesterday. He dropped 8 points on his BA.....

I'd take one of the pitchers at least they advance the runners
Originally posted by Garcia:

Belt will be fine. He just needs to work on his confidence. He looks like he goes up to bat scared of failure. If he actually started approaching his AB's like he was better than the pitcher, I think hed see better results.

He has the eye to be a patient hitter, but the more his confidence level goes down, the more he abandons that patient approach. It also didnt help that the umpire had the most generously large strike zone ive seen in a long time. Belt struck out 5 times, but when you force hitters to cover a zone that extends 6 inches in all directions, theyre going to start swinging at bad balls.

Ive been saying it from the beginning, Belt is so far advanced for his experience level, hes going to have growing pains. His first year of pro baseball was in 2010, and he shot through the Minor Leagues in one season, then made the team in 2011. In his second pro season, he was basically up and down all year, getting limited/platoon AB's. In his third pro season, he got a little better, and really started coming around the later the season went.

Now in his fourth pro season, he HAS gotten better. Hes on pace for 17 HR, 65 RBI's, and 38 doubles, which would all be career highs, and at .263, he hasnt been the total disaster people are making him out to be. The old scout adage says "doubles power turns into homers", and Belt has 21 already.

Doubles in 2013:

Brandon Belt - 21
Paul Goldschmidt - 21
Evan Longoria - 21
Prince Fielder - 21
Carlos Santana - 21
Ben Zobrist - 21
Miguel Cabrera - 20
Allen Craig - 20
Carlos Gomez - 20
Shin-Soo Choo - 20

Obviously Belt isnt better than any of these players, but its interesting.

Be patient. Most players in their 4th pro season are either still in AA/AAA, or are a rookie.

doesn't mean he should be put in the three hole...
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Is it just me, or has Bruce Bochy been REALLY out of it this year? Hes made so many weird, mental mistakes. Very questionable moves going to Kontos over and over in close games late, the Posey defensive replacement, putting Torres in RF and removing Pence last night, screwing up the lineup card (Righetti tried to blame some clubhouse scoreboard sign displaying the lineup to cover for Bochy's mistake), etc. He must be tired, stressed, or something. I think hes made more dumb moves already this year than he did the last 2 years combined.
Is it just me, or has Bruce Bochy been REALLY out of it this year? Hes made so many weird, mental mistakes. Very questionable moves going to Kontos over and over in close games late, the Posey defensive replacement, putting Torres in RF and removing Pence last night, screwing up the lineup card (Righetti tried to blame some clubhouse scoreboard sign displaying the lineup to cover for Bochy's mistake), etc. He must be tired, stressed, or something. I think hes made more dumb moves already this year than he did the last 2 years combined.

Maybe with him preparing to manage the All Star game this year as well as managing the Giants may be taking a little toll.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran

I suggested Belt be put in the three hole a LONG time ago. Because I feel outside of Posey/Scut he has a great eye and one of the better approaches on the team. He can take walks. He will get on base for Posey to knock him in. Not to mention he is a good fastball hitter and he will get better pitches to hit being protected by the MVP.

I know last night was historically bad for Belt but I don't think because he had one bad game that the experiment should be done away with. He had some great ABs vs. Harvey and I think that had something to do with Posey hitting that HR. I believe Belt had a 7-8 pitch AB before Posey's HR.
pence interview on mlb network now

I suggested Belt be put in the three hole a LONG time ago. Because I feel outside of Posey/Scut he has a great eye and one of the better approaches on the team. He can take walks. He will get on base for Posey to knock him in. Not to mention he is a good fastball hitter and he will get better pitches to hit being protected by the MVP.

I know last night was historically bad for Belt but I don't think because he had one bad game that the experiment should be done away with. He had some great ABs vs. Harvey and I think that had something to do with Posey hitting that HR. I believe Belt had a 7-8 pitch AB before Posey's HR.

In my opinion Buster Posey should be the #3 hitter. Period. Until Belt shows he can be a more productive hitter in clutch situations he should hit 6th at the highest. No way he is a #3 hitter.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com