LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 224 users in the forums

Will we compete for a Superbowl next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will we compete for a Superbowl next year?

Will we compete for a Superbowl next year with Jimmy G or is our roster going to be to far away?

I can see us making it on a wildcard but we need to many players at important positions to go deep IMO
Seriously?

I could start a poll, will our defensive backfield make five open field tackles next season without one whiff first. Not just in a game. The whole season.

#letsgetaheadofourselves

#letsseewhatjedspendsinfa
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jan 17, 2018 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Seriously?

I could start a poll, will our defensive backfield make five open field tackles next season without one whiff first. Not just in a game. The whole season.

#letsgetaheadofourselves

#letsseewhatjedspendsinfa
Well I agree I'm hoping for the wildcard but there's alot of excoted fans so I'm curious what the webzone thinks.
Doesn't every team?
No contest.

We'll win it easily.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Well I agree I'm hoping for the wildcard but there's alot of excoted fans so I'm curious what the webzone thinks.

Im excited. Thats what i think.
OH HELLLL YEAHHHH

• thl408
If you project Jimmy's W-L record over a 19 game span, he's slated to go 19-0. So yes.
Is it even in doubt?
Yes, look at the teams who are in the Final Four this year.

If the Vikings, Eagles and Jags can compete for a SB this year, the 49ers can next year.

• 91til
  • Veteran
So it begins. You know by Week 1 people are gonna have SB expectations. What can ya do. We have a chance.
I think there's a misconception that it takes years and years to rebuild. That's simply not true in the NFL. Both Jacksonville and Carolina were expansion teams in 1995, they both made the conference championship for the 1996 season.

If you have a great QB and a competent coach you can compete (although, not all teams making deep runs in the playoff do). While I do think it can sometimes take two years if you have a good QB, if you don't go to the playoffs after that first or second season with that QB, then you're doing something wrong. The reality is, when you're starting out like this team did at the beginning of the 2017 season you'll have both draft picks and cap space. But once you enter into the third year after that, the cap space starts getting eaten up. A team going into that third year should have already shown some success.

There's too many examples of this happening -- Luck with the Colts, Ryan with the Falcons, Roethlisberger with the Steelers, Wentz and the Eagles (I know he's hurt, but with him they'd be prohibitive favorites in the NFC), even Flacco with the Ravens (combined with competent coaching). With the exception of Flacco, all of these QBs looked good enough immediately that the teams knew they could compete in the playoffs with them, certainly within the first half of their rookie seasons.

Then you've got Jameis Winston and the Bucs, Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins, etc. Either the team has screwed up the rebuild and/or the QBs aren't really all that good.

Jimmy G has seven starts under his belt. He has looked excellent in every game. The third down %, points per drive, yards per attempt and yardage are all stellar. Ints, which over the course of seven games can skew passer rating tremendously, are sometimes due to tipped passes and receiver drops -- but they can also indicate a QB willing to take risks for good and bad -- in Jimmy's case, good. You can either have check down artist and never truly be able to compete, or you can have a guy that you know can make huge plays but with a few more ints. I'll just note that Derek Carr's combined yards per attempt the past couple years was 6.9. Jimmy G's was 8.76. Of course, Derek Carr also threw for 22 TDs and 13 ints this year.
The real question: Where will the SB parade be held, Santa Clara or SF?

I honestly don't think so. I'm thinking second round of the playoffs is the ceiling.

If we make the playoffs next season we can definitely be a contender the following year, though.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Doesn't every team?

Except the Browns.
Share 49ersWebzone