There are 146 users in the forums

Niners hire Jim O'Neil as DC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Trath44:
So now there's a report that Mike Nolan was interested. I'd have been happy to get him back a a DC, he was no doubt a good defensive mind. Why would chip pass him up?

Just look at his defensive rankings...he's ranked in the bottom half or near bottom for years.
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Originally posted by Trath44:
So now there's a report that Mike Nolan was interested. I'd have been happy to get him back a a DC, he was no doubt a good defensive mind. Why would chip pass him up?

Not aggressive enough. Big nickel all game

Gotta give Nolan credit:

He knew how to slow down Peytonicus (2009 game at Indy, 2012 game vs. Denver as DC of Atlanta).....
I equate this hiring to promoting Geep to OC last year.

Just a terrible hire.

Defensive "Background"

Northwestern (2003–2004)
Defensive backs coach

Towson (2005)
Defensive coordinator & defensive backs coach

Eastern Michigan (2006–2008)
Recruiting coordinator & safeties coach

New York Jets (2009)
Defensive quality control & defensive backs coach

New York Jets (2010–2012)
Assistant defensive backs coach

Buffalo Bills (2013)
Linebackers coach

Cleveland Browns (2014–2015)
Defensive coordinator

We just don't learn.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 5, 2016 at 7:19 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Just a terrible hire.

Defensive "Background"

Northwestern (2003–2004)
Defensive backs coach

Towson (2005)

New York Jets (2009)

Buffalo Bills (2013)
Linebackers coach

Defensive coordinator

We just don't learn.

Outside of Cleveland that looks like a good resume.

Just a terrible hire.

Defensive "Background"

Northwestern (2003–2004)
Defensive backs coach

Towson (2005)

New York Jets (2009)

Buffalo Bills (2013)
Linebackers coach

Defensive coordinator

We just don't learn.

Need to hire a guy who's only coordinating background was Holy Spirit High School. That's what the elite coaches do.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Gotta give Nolan credit:

He knew how to slow down Peytonicus (2009 game at Indy, 2012 game vs. Denver as DC of Atlanta).....

And the other 15 games? Nolan is hyped for no reason. He is mediocre at best and extremely cautious
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Gotta give Nolan credit:

And the other 15 games? Nolan is hyped for no reason. He is mediocre at best and extremely cautious

Agreed! It's funny how quickly some people forget.
This is what Mike Nolan has to say to all you doubters!

Just a terrible hire.

Defensive "Background"

Northwestern (2003–2004)
Defensive backs coach

Towson (2005)

New York Jets (2009)

Buffalo Bills (2013)
Linebackers coach

Defensive coordinator

We just don't learn.

I can't believe we hired this bum over Nolan. Say what you want, but Nolan really helped turn our D around. Certainly better than this scrub.

If our DC experiement doens't work, Baalke and his ego need to go. I feel like they only hire people they can control; Harbaugh being the exception because they needed a big name winner to get the stadium built.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I can't believe we hired this bum over Nolan.Say what you want, but Nolan really helped turn our D around. Certainly better than this scrub.

If our DC experiement doens't work, Baalke and his ego need to go. I feel like they only hire people they can control; Harbaugh being the exception because they needed a big name winner to get the stadium built.

Originally posted by Jcool:
I can't believe we hired this bum over Nolan.Say what you want, but Nolan really helped turn our D around. Certainly better than this scrub.

You're absolutly right. Maybe I was thinking of Coach Sing. Nolan's defensive rankings while here were horrible. Maybe I was thinking of the players we accumulated under him. When he took over, our team hand no defensive talent.

You're absolutly right. Maybe I was thinking of Coach Sing. Nolan's defensive rankings while here were horrible. Maybe I was thinking of the players we accumulated under him. When he took over, our team hand no defensive talent.

TBH I probably would have prefered Nolan if I had to chose between the two based solely on the experience factor. With that said I am open minded enough to give O'Neil a chance though. Because I take solace in that Chip knows this will be his last shot to prove he can win as a head coach in the NFL so I know Chip made this selection barring that in mind.

We werent in the room during the interview so we don't know what was said. Clearly O'Neil was able to sell Chip on a plan for the defense though. Let's just hope the execution follows.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

TBH I probably would have prefered Nolan if I had to chose between the two based solely on the experience factor. With that said I am open minded enough to give O'Neil a chance though. Because I take solace in that Chip knows this will be his last shot to prove he can win as a head coach in the NFL so I know Chip made this selection barring that in mind.

We werent in the room during the interview so we don't know what was said. Clearly O'Neil was able to sell Chip on a plan for the defense though. Let's just hope the execution follows.

This is the likely reason. I have a feeling ultimately it was his scheme he liked more than anything.
Boy,how much pride would Nolan have had to swallow, to be Head Coach of this franchise, get fired, then come back several years later as a coordinator?
I couldn't do it, but then again, nobody has ever fired me and then offered me six figures to come back in a lesser capacity
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sourball:
Boy,how much pride would Nolan have had to swallow, to be Head Coach of this franchise, get fired, then come back several years later as a coordinator?
I couldn't do it, but then again, nobody has ever fired me and then offered me six figures to come back in a lesser capacity

Just about everybody is gone from his days here so I dont think it woulda been too bad, but definitely woulda been weird.
Share 49ersWebzone