Pregame Thread: 49ers at Cardinals - 2015 Week 3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
arizona favored by 6.5

That's all?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Cards offense will attack the 49ers the same way. Chuck it up deep downfield. Mangini needs to find a way to get more consistent pressure on Palmer.

Agreed.
With big jump ball guys in Floyd and Fitzgerald, plus speedsters Brown & Brown, we definitely have to keep Palmer on the run. I think we need to score 30+ to beat them. The Fangio-led Bears defense gave up 40+ to them today.

A Niner win next week would put them back in first place in the division.
wake me up when september ends
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
arizona favored by 6.5

That's all?

Palmer is gonna light up Mangina's defense. I'll be shocked if the Cards score less than 35
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Palmer is gonna light up Mangina's defense. I'll be shocked if the Cards score less than 35

we need to get some serious pressure on Palmer
I just hope Mangini keeps our safeties deep. John Brown is very dangerous.
Originally posted by SFrush:
I just hope Mangini keeps our safeties deep. John Brown is very dangerous.

Tomsula commented on the issue today -- Pittsburgh played max protection and made plays. In other words, "We blitzed to create pressure and trusted the back end would hold up." Plain and simple, we neither created pressure, nor did the corners and safeties manage to win the one on one battles. Often times looking out of position were the safeties in particular.

Would we have been better served dropping everyone into coverage and let Ben have all day? I don't know. Probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. Defense just didn't do a good job. They just got outplayed.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 20, 2015 at 8:06 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Tomsula commented on the issue today -- Pittsburgh played max protection and made plays. In other words, "We blitzed to create pressure and trusted the back end would hold up." Plain and simple, we neither created pressure, nor did the corners and safeties manage to win the one on one battles. Often times looking out of position were the safeties in particular.

Yup. No surprise the Steelers would max protect knowing Mangini's blitz tendency. Just shocked the coverage was caught out of position time and time again. Not used to seeing that, especially from the safeties. Reid and Bethea are very steady, but today they didn't get the job done. All those pressure packages, and not one even came close to Ben. At that point, I'd wish we recognized what wasn't working earlier and start playing some straight up cover 2 and cover 3. Get Ben to throw underneath, because he killed us with the long ball today.

Originally posted by SofaKing:

Yup. No surprise the Steelers would max protect knowing Mangini's blitz tendency. Just shocked the coverage was caught out of position time and time again. Not used to seeing that, especially from the safeties. Reid and Bethea are very steady, but today they didn't get the job done. All those pressure packages, and not one even came close to Ben. At that point, I'd wish we recognized what wasn't working earlier and start playing some straight up cover 2 and cover 3. Get Ben to throw underneath, because he killed us with the long ball today.

Yeah, I think they did that a little more in the second half, although they still were getting caught out of position at times. It's growing pains -- and they're agonizing -- but I think we gradually get better as the year goes along.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Carson Palmer lol
Too early for me to crown a Palmer led offense. They beat up the Saints and a battered Beats team. Their a good team, but we're talking about him like he's Aaron Rodgers. Fitz is old, Floyd has one hand, and the speedsters are only going to get a few opportunities.

We got torched today by the hottest WR in the league, who has the most difficult QB to bring down throwing him the ball. They made some big plays today. If our OC would've abandoned the run earlier, maybe Kap could've tightened things up. Regardless, Arizona has seen recent success due to their defense. They haven't improved that much on offense.
Yeah, I think they did that a little more in the second half, although they still were getting caught out of position at times. It's growing pains -- and they're agonizing -- but I think we gradually get better as the year goes along.

I think so too. Still a talented defense in my eyes, but they got rocked today. Coaches and players need to settle in and get this scheme sorted out.
Originally posted by strickac:
Too early for me to crown a Palmer led offense. They beat up the Saints and a battered Beats team. Their a good team, but we're talking about him like he's Aaron Rodgers. Fitz is old, Floyd has one hand, and the speedsters are only going to get a few opportunities.

We got torched today by the hottest WR in the league, who has the most difficult QB to bring down throwing him the ball. They made some big plays today. If our OC would've abandoned the run earlier, maybe Kap could've tightened things up. Regardless, Arizona has seen recent success due to their defense. They haven't improved that much on offense.

He's nowhere near the level of Big Ben, but he's still a guy that can throw down field with accuracy if you don't force him to move. 15-2 over his last 17 starts, won something like 8 or 9 in a row. He's doing something right.

Over his career, his numbers throwing under pressure are terrible. He's mistake prone, but when he has time, he can sling it down field at a near elite level. It's crucial we get some pressure on him and force him to move his feet. We do that, and our chances to win go up exponentially.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 20, 2015 at 8:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone