LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 335 users in the forums

Preseason 3 - The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The good: Gabbert
The bad: OL
The ugly: Kaep.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Kap played scared and when he did throw, it was off the mark.

Would you feel confident throwing with the right side of the line crumbling the moment the ball is snapped?

I felt that Evan Mathis could have been a good stabilizer on the OL, either moving to LG and letting Boone go back to RG or simply holding down RG, I think they missed the boat by not bringing him in. I expect the right side of the line to be a season-long issue, there should be some improvement and maybe Brown eventually works his way into the starting lineup, but right now that is a weak spot, also Kilgore can't come back fast enough.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Would you feel confident throwing with the right side of the line crumbling the moment the ball is snapped?

I felt that Evan Mathis could have been a good stabilizer on the OL, either moving to LG and letting Boone go back to RG or simply holding down RG, I think they missed the boat by not bringing him in. I expect the right side of the line to be a season-long issue, there should be some improvement and maybe Brown eventually works his way into the starting lineup, but right now that is a weak spot, also Kilgore can't come back fast enough.

Mathis definitely would have helped, but by the looks of it, this unit is f**ked regardless. It takes 5 guys to solidify the o-line, and we don't have them.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

we learned that magini is a genius. lol. i never doubted it but i hope people see it now. he rotated in backups and 3rd string players and still kept peyton manning out of the end zone. he put the defenders in positions to make plays regularly. i mean. it was amazing he was manipulating peyton manning. they missed tackles but the coach can't make the tackle for you.

New England has had Manning's number for awhile, I think Mangini's approach showed a little bit as to why. Even though it was preseason, Mangini still managed to be more aggressive than Fangio was last year, more or less letting Manning sit back in the pocket and pick his targets, this defense kept coming after him and I thought it was an overall more effective approach.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Kap played scared and when he did throw, it was off the mark.

Kap didn't even have time to set. Denver was splitting RG and RT and coming right up the gut almost untouched.

we learned that magini is a genius. lol. i never doubted it but i hope people see it now. he rotated in backups and 3rd string players and still kept peyton manning out of the end zone. he put the defenders in positions to make plays regularly. i mean. it was amazing he was manipulating peyton manning. they missed tackles but the coach can't make the tackle for you.

New England has had Manning's number for awhile, I think Mangini's approach showed a little bit as to why. Even though it was preseason, Mangini still managed to be more aggressive than Fangio was last year, more or less letting Manning sit back in the pocket and pick his targets, this defense kept coming after him and I thought it was an overall more effective approach.

Agree on that. Not used to seeing Manning get pressured/sacked so many times in one half. He still made throws, but's what he does. Great player.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Mathis definitely would have helped, but by the looks of it, this unit is f**ked regardless. It takes 5 guys to solidify the o-line, and we don't have them.

I think the left side of the line will be fine when the season comes. I think center will be fine when Kilgore returns. If you could have moved Boone to RG or put Mathis there, I think that would have made a HUGE difference, as it is now, the right side is like a turnstile. You can deal with a weakness at RT by bringing up a TE to help block, you can't compensate for both RG AND RT being an issue.

I feel like they could have been more aggressive and gone after Mathis to really help solidify the line. Now I think its going to be an adventure, there will be some good weeks and there will be some really bad ones as the young players develop.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 29, 2015 at 9:19 PM ]
Originally posted by father49er:
Kap didn't even have time to set. Denver was splitting RG and RT and coming right up the gut almost untouched.

I had a bad feeling before tip-off too. Just thought about all the practice reports, their front was destroying our o-line all week. Not surprised it carried over to the game.

the beauty of it is that it wasn't exotic. it was straight forward. what made the defense work is the timing of the calls. we regularly got them into 3rd and long situations but broken tackles extended drives that shouldn't have been.

notice, eli harold on the 3rd and long has the perfect coverage call he's there to make the stop and get us off the field but he misses the tackle.

bowman was put in that same position last week against dallas, baited into the throw to cover the flat, gets there we're off the field.

2nd half, show pressure rush 3 drop 8 make you dump it off and then come up and tackle. it worked until the guys who are going to be cut got in playing against denver's 2nd string.

Agree on that. Not used to seeing Manning get pressured/sacked so many times in one half. He still made throws, but's what he does. Great player.
he can make all the throws. in the red zone he got a field goal because he couldn't score. and threw an interception
the defense had 40 snaps and gave up 6 points in denver. after 40 snaps last year we were down 21

I think the left side of the line will be fine when the season comes. I think center will be fine when Kilgore returns. If you could have moved Boone to RG or put Mathis there, I think that would have made a HUGE difference, as it is now, the right side is like a turnstile. I feel like they could have been more aggressive and gone after Mathis to really help solidify the line. Now I think its going to be an adventure, there will be some good weeks and there will be some really bad ones as the young players develop.

Agree. The left side is solid with Staley and Boone, but I wonder if they'd consider moving Boone back right, either to RG or RT. Might help balance out the two sides of the line, as long as the left side doesn't fall apart without him there.

It's unlikely, but I'd love to see them tinker with Staley-Thomas-Martin-Boone-Brown. Risky as hell playing those 3 youngsters, but I want the best talent on the field at the very least.
the beauty of it is that it wasn't exotic. it was straight forward. what made the defense work is the timing of the calls. we regularly got them into 3rd and long situations but broken tackles extended drives that shouldn't have been.

notice, eli harold on the 3rd and long has the perfect coverage call he's there to make the stop and get us off the field but he misses the tackle.

bowman was put in that same position last week against dallas, baited into the throw to cover the flat, gets there we're off the field.

2nd half, show pressure rush 3 drop 8 make you dump it off and then come up and tackle. it worked until the guys who are going to be cut got in playing against denver's 2nd string.

Also loved some of the delayed blitzes. Overall, Mangini put together some effective pressure packages.

Also loved some of the delayed blitzes. Overall, Mangini put together some effective pressure packages.

indeed. what was true up until the 4th quarter guys got in, if denver made a play, it wasn't because our guys weren't in a position to stop them and that's all you can ask for as a fan.

players gotta make plays. coaches put them in position to. bowman made every single play that he was supposed to.
dontae made every single play from the outside he was supposed to reid did acker did etc.
OOOOMG, OUR O LINE SUCKS

Andy Levitre
Share 49ersWebzone