LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 208 users in the forums

Offseason Film analysis thread - Passing concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I still have 5 1/2 games to work through, but, so far, I haven't seen a ton of side concept stuff. Sometimes though, there's a penalty on the play and I don't grade those plays - which it's not too uncommon to get penalties on different players on slide concepts because of all the movement. I did briefly mention the slide in my OP though. I just didn't have a high enough volume of plays in the games I watched to actually come to any sort of conclusion. There were only 5 slide concepts I counted in the games I watched - that didn't have any penalties involved.

I just think with kap's mobility, this play/concept is begging to be exploited. Puts instant pressure on a defense. I think it's right up kaps ally. It's also a great redzone/goal line play. This concept when cleaned up is nasty.
great thread thanks JD!
  • thl408
49ers had good success with this concept - Sucker. I don't have a nice breakdown of success/fail rate like jonnydel though.

Designed to get a vertical stretch on a hook/curl defender (zone defender in the middle of the field).

Boldin + SJ running Sucker. Key defender is the orange hook/curl defender. Versus cover3

Orange is the key defender. If he comes forward to cover the short curl (SJ), then the In route behind the Curl (Boldin) is open. If he sags off the Curl to play the passing lane to the In route, then the Curl is open. Here, orange sags off the Curl.

Completed to the Curl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sucker concept
SJ (Curl) + Crabs (In). Targeting the hook/curl defender (orange)
Versus Tampa2

Orange defender sticks to the Curl, opening up a passing lane to the In route (Crabs).

Kap needs to nail this concept down if teams continue to play cover3 against him. He seemed to do well with it.
Thank you for this analysis a real football thread in a horrid offseason. Reaffirming. Best read here on a long while.
^^^On the top sucker concept play, I like how on the opposite side they try to sell a smash but the slot guys does almost a corner and go. I like that design.
Originally posted by thl408:
49ers had good success with this concept - Sucker. I don't have a nice breakdown of success/fail rate like jonnydel though.

Designed to get a vertical stretch on a hook/curl defender (zone defender in the middle of the field).

Boldin + SJ running Sucker. Key defender is the orange hook/curl defender. Versus cover3

Orange is the key defender. If he comes forward to cover the short curl (SJ), then the In route behind the Curl (Boldin) is open. If he sags off the Curl to play the passing lane to the In route, then the Curl is open. Here, orange sags off the Curl.

Completed to the Curl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks like if he waited an extra second he could've taken the shot to Boldin no?
Originally posted by defenderDX:
looks like if he waited an extra second he could've taken the shot to Boldin no?
thats what happens when you get hit all season
Great Job JohnyDel,I believe Keap and Warner worked on these and other reads and timing going through the reads,,We should see a Improvement with Kaep this year Plus with Logan Coaching Him up in the Film room and passing concepts and how to go through his progressions,I can`t wait,this offense is going to be Dangerous.
[ Edited by jrouter4949 on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM ]
Great breakdown as always. Unfortunately this just pisses me off. He better start reading the field better next year and hitting these open players.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Great breakdown as always. Unfortunately this just pisses me off. He better start reading the field better next year and hitting these open players.

I feel the same way. There would be times I wanted him to sling it and it just wouldn't happen. Hard to know what's going thru his head at times, but it's also hard to quantify what he was being taught. I'm not saying Harbaugh was a bad teacher but for whatever reason Kaps development fell off a cliff

[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Apr 10, 2015 at 6:26 AM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:

part of it looks that way because the defenders take off towards the throw
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's an example of CK's struggles in in the "smash" concept.

This was late in the 1st Sea game, Sherman's 2nd INT - it was a gift from CK to seal the game. I really like the design of this play, it gives CK 2 concepts in 1 to work. He gets 2 curls along with the inside corner route to work a smash concept with a horizontal curls stretch added in. On these plays you should always be "alert" for the corner route against man-coverage. You see it's man coverage pre-snap based off of Dick's alignment. He's in press, squared up on the receiver, this means man coverage - along with the alignment of the LB's. They're going to "Spy" CK as well.

You see just after the snap how the corner route has an advantage. VD's working against Chancellor and Chancellor's in a tough spot having to defend both the mid-in and corner routes.

an aside - If Ck was deep in his film study, he would've seen what I've seen from Dick Sherman - that is, in man coverage, Sherman's COD isn't great. He's very susceptible to curls in man coverage. The one route you don't throw against Sherman in man coverage is the streak.... You see here how it held true, Johnson is able to get decent seperation on Sherman and is turned completely around, ready for a ball while Sherman is still face the other way....

anyhoo, you see how Ck has a nice pocket to step up in to. Staley did what he should, he took the speed rush upfield past the QB. Davis loses Chancellor with a nifty in/out move.

CK has a nice pocket and Davis has lost his man towards the corner, but, instead, he's fleeing the pocket. also, by now, Sherman's ready to drive on the curl route that CK is bailing out towards.

Davis beat Chancellor so bad that he fell down. VD probably goes in for a TD if CK stayed in the pocket and worked the play. Instead, he bails out to the opposite side with the "spy" waiting for him. I've omitted the last part of the play as it can be disturbing for some viewers. But, CK basically throws the ball straight at Sherman.

Thanks for the cut ups but I think some of your comments are a bit presumptuous.Still shots in here kind of taint the play.

If Kap isn't moving towards Sherman's side I'm not sure Davis beats Chancellor so easily. Also in that 3rd pic where you say he should've thrown to Stevie when he had Sherman in a bad spot it's hard to say what Kap is looking at and certainly his mechanics would've been quite out of whack if he threw right then and there. Sherman may not have the quickest change of direction but it's not as cut and dry imo to say Kap could've looked there adjusted his stance and made a good throw there before Sherman got to that spot.

There's no question Kap needs to make better decisions in these situations but I just don't think some of these statements are so cut and dry based on still shots.
Love the work J and the attention to detail. I have little doubt Geep is looking at these concepts...might be way more fun this year knowing we have Torrey Smith, a healthy VD and Bush to add to these passing concepts.
Jonnydel // Thl

I STRONGLY believe Seattles defense is the reason we picked up Bush. When watching the Super Bowl I noticed the routes NE ran with the RB Vereen against Seattles LBs to open up those intermediate routes. I believe Vereen had 11 catches and Edelman had 9? Please let me know what you guys think.
Share 49ersWebzone