There are 121 users in the forums

Offense woes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What concerns me is:
1. Nevermind about a solid #2 receiver - Boldin at #1 isn't going to be around that much longer, and Crabtree is a goner. So there goes #1 and #2.
2. Vernon Davis - What's up with you?
3. Gore - Hyde is really good, but are they ready to part ways with Gore?
4. The OLine - If the cowboys taught anyone anything in the 90's, building up the OLine is most important. Aikman threw more interceptions that TD's with a lousy line. Once beefed up, hello 3 Lombardis. They beefed it up this year and was one bad call away from making it to the NFCC.
Wait, what....
[ Edited by braap49er on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:53 PM ]
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Wait, what....

Too hard to follow?
O line.

Everything else will fall into place.
Originally posted by English:
O line.

yup ..once our line is healthy and mean , we'll get back to busting heads again
O line.

We had more than enough pieces on the oline last year but they played good and bad due to poor coaching.

I think we have the pieces just fine on the line. We have no speed on the wings and no height at TE. That's a problem.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
O line.

We had more than enough pieces on the oline last year but they played good and bad due to poor coaching.

I think we have the pieces just fine on the line. We have no speed on the wings and no height at TE. That's a problem.

The fact the o-line will have the advantage of the snap count again will be money. The defense will no longer be able to launch themselves off the sprint block at the one second mark.

I HATE HAROMAN SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!
  • thl408
Originally posted by Geeked:
The fact the o-line will have the advantage of the snap count again will be money. The defense will no longer be able to launch themselves off the sprint block at the one second mark.

Are you implying that defensive linemen are looking at the playclock while in their 3 point stance to get a jump on the snap? Because this is not what is happening. In one of the post game threads I debunked this notion by posting GIFs of three delay of game penalties committed by the 49ers. In none of those instances did the opposing Dline fire out when the playclock reached 0. I'll try to find them later and repost.

No Dline coach in their right mind will tell their players to hoist their neck up to look at the playclock at the back of the endzone.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

Are you implying that defensive linemen are looking at the playclock while in their 3 point stance to get a jump on the snap? Because this is not what is happening. In one of the post game threads I debunked this notion by posting GIFs of three delay of game penalties committed by the 49ers. In none of those instances did the opposing Dline fire out when the playclock reached 0. I'll try to find them later and repost.

No Dline coach in their right mind will tell their players to hoist their neck up to look at the playclock at the back of the endzone.

If you only have a couple of seconds to chant the snap count, you're not going to be forcing DL or LB to hold their water; delaying their rush. This is the advantage I was discussing. If the offense is constantly rushing into formation, the QB will be more focused on the proper play alignment and defensive positioning, then snap count timing.

If you are constantly snapping the ball with less than two seconds on the clock, you are placing yourself at a disadvantage. If it can be anticipated, it can be use against you.

If you only have a couple of seconds to chant the snap count, you're not going to be forcing DL or LB to hold their water; delaying their rush. This is the advantage I was discussing. If the offense is constantly rushing into formation, the QB will be more focused on the proper play alignment and defensive positioning, then snap count timing.

If you are constantly snapping the ball with less than two seconds on the clock, you are placing yourself at a disadvantage. If it can be anticipated, it can be use against you.

I'm trying to remember which game it was, I think it was a division opponent, but I could swear that I saw a few instances where linebackers were right up beside and a little behind defensive linemen and tapping them on the hip when the ball was snapped. Those linebackers actually could have been watching the play clock. It's possible. But I agree with thl408 on the defensive lineman in his 3 point stance - no, they can't be straining their necks up to watch the play clock.
[ Edited by crake49 on Feb 17, 2015 at 8:24 AM ]

I think there's potentially some truth to this. It's likely there would be no hard count or going in 2 or 3, when the clock has wound down. "Hurry hurry" calls were especially predictable.
  • thl408
Here are three instances where the offense got called for DoG. In none of these cases were the Dlinemen firing off at 0 on the playclock. Dlinemen need to be looking at cues from the Olinemen on whether it's a run or pass play. Are they on their toes to fire forward, and is there significant weight on their fingers (run play)? Or are they on their heels to step back to pass block?

This is 3rd & 12 so the rushers know they will be pass rushing, yet they still don't use the playclock to get a jump on the snap.

Not meaning to bust your balls, Geeked, just wanted to squash the notion that Dlinemen are doing this because I've heard it mentioned a number of times.
^^but having a more predictable cadence when the clock is low is very likely.
Here are three instances where the offense got called for DoG. In none of these cases were the Dlinemen firing off at 0 on the playclock. Dlinemen need to be looking at cues from the Olinemen on whether it's a run or pass play. Are they on their toes to fire forward, and is there significant weight on their fingers (run play)? Or are they on their heels to step back to pass block?

This is 3rd & 12 so the rushers know they will be pass rushing, yet they still don't use the playclock to get a jump on the snap.

Not meaning to bust your balls, Geeked, just wanted to squash the notion that Dlinemen are doing this because I've heard it mentioned a number of times.

There's no sense of urgency with Kaep in any of these plays, like he's completely unaware that the clock is running down.
Share 49ersWebzone