LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 237 users in the forums

Potential Ways to create cap space, plus contract guarantees, bonuses due, etc.. for 2015

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Wow, all of the sudden we make the s**tty as cheap franchises look like big spenders.

Niners are always right up against the cap and have been masters at signing players to team friendly contracts to keep more of their guys on the squad.

....peeps seem to suddenly forget that with the coaching change. From a player personnel standpoint, the team hasn't changed.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pd24:
I don't, jus based off what he produced. I know he didn't play much, but a team wouldn't give him 6 million. Even Boldin isn't making 6 million

He's had over 1,000 yards receiving three times in his career, somebody would pay him, guaranteed. He's still a very good #2 WR.

True. But Decker got 7.25 million and Emanuel Sanders got 5 million. Stevie hasn't produced like those 2 Goin into FA. I think he would get a 3/13 or 4/16
Update, Brooks' base salary de-escalated the entire $2.5M this time, down to $3.5M in base.

We are now roughly $2M under the cap.
It will be interesting to see who gets cut/traded this off season, and who restructures their deals, and who just straight takes a pay cut. Gotta figure something is happening with Brooks. This pay cut makes him a look better for us to trade, other wise, he probably gets cut. Dawson and Dahl should be cut, I'd like to see Stevie sign a new deal, with a smaller cap hit. Kaep is a tough one, I want his cap number down, but I don't want to lose the easy flexibility we have to trade or cut him without taking a big cap hit.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Update, Brooks' base salary de-escalated the entire $2.5M this time, down to $3.5M in base.

Booyeah. What has the cap Increased to this year to?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Right now I have a soft projection of $140M, it could be a little higher, maybe $143-$144 million, I also heard as low as $138.1M, which makes no sense, don't buy it going up only a few million. I would like it at $143M, goes up $10M, seems like a fair number to go up.
True. But Decker got 7.25 million and Emanuel Sanders got 5 million. Stevie hasn't produced like those 2 Goin into FA. I think he would get a 3/13 or 4/16

I still see him getting $5 million minimum, not a big difference really. Teams recognize what he has been able to do while playing with limited QB's.

Sanders is a perfect example, his career high was 740 yards going into free agency, Johnson has hit 1,000 three times already.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 30, 2015 at 8:09 PM ]
I want Stevie here for at least a few more years. I agree that he's easily worth 5 million a year, don't know if we can get him for cheaper than that. Worse case, we just keep him under his current contract. I would try to get him locked into a new 4-5 year deal though, if we could net a little savings this year and beyond.
Stevie Johnson is closer to a #1 than a #2. He didnt have nearly as many opportunities as he deserved last season. When he got the ball he looked better than Crabtree did, and it wasn't close.
I agree, that Stevie looks better than Crabtree. Here's to hoping we get a good WR in this draft. I'm fine with Johnson+Boldin as our 1 and 2 going into the year, with Patton and Ellington seeing the field as well. We do need to find Boldins eventual replacement soon though, either in this draft, or worse case, next years draft.

Originally posted by NCommand:

Right now I have a soft projection of $140M, it could be a little higher, maybe $143-$144 million, I also heard as low as $138.1M, which makes no sense, don't buy it going up only a few million. I would like it at $143M, goes up $10M, seems like a fair number to go up.

Thanks AB!
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I wish AB's cap projections for the next year were the projection's of my salary!
I would like to see them sell out and get D. Thomas . Paired with Johnson and the kids. May come at the expense of Boldin but he only has a year left. Then the first round pick could be cb if they had to let Cox and Cully walk. I know it would stretch the cap but I think they could do it and fill the other positions with picks and current depth.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I still see him getting $5 million minimum, not a big difference really. Teams recognize what he has been able to do while playing with limited QB's.

Sanders is a perfect example, his career high was 740 yards going into free agency, Johnson has hit 1,000 three times already.

We probably should extend him out on a 4/20 type of deal. Good semi young guy to have around and can produce as much or more than Crabtree. You think we can covert the 6 million to a signing bonus and add 4 years at 15 or 16 million? Will that free up 6 million?
Originally posted by Izyniner:
I would like to see them sell out and get D. Thomas . Paired with Johnson and the kids. May come at the expense of Boldin but he only has a year left. Then the first round pick could be cb if they had to let Cox and Cully walk. I know it would stretch the cap but I think they could do it and fill the other positions with picks and current depth.

Can't see Baalke using almost all the cap room on one FA...as good as Thomas is and as much as we might like to see him playing on the niners!

I'd rather see them take Kevin White and use FA money to go after a guy like Knighten at NT. It seems our new DC likes true NTs so the niners need one and can't be assured of getting a starter in the draft. These two moves would satisfy the two biggest needs the niners currently have.
Share 49ersWebzone