LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 249 users in the forums

What I would do to the Oline.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sure.... lets trade our best OL and bench our second best. The only thing you got right is letting Iupati walk and send Jonathin Martin with him.

Here is what a sane person would do:

LT: Staley (our best OL and only consistent performer this season)
LG: Looney, B. Thomas, or a FA
C: Kilgore or Martin
RG: FA or draft pick
RT: A. Davis

Keep Boone around to backup both OT spots. He's been horrible at pass-pro this year. Our interior OL needs an overhaul. Let Looney, Kilgore, Martin, Thomas, and a couple new faces compete for all 3 spots.

We also need a decent backup OT. Our hole season can't go to pot just because one of our starting OTs get's hurt.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I would line them up for the firing squad death penalty
Originally posted by Thirstyfor49ers14:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Its amazing how for years--and i mean YEARS, that we have just set the lineup at left tackle and forget about it. Its nothing short of unbelievable in just how good Staley has been and that he still is a fantastic player.

We have i think taken it for granted and underestimate how much he has meant to this team this decade. He always handles his business. No matter WHO we are getting ready to face opposite him, we dont worry about it.

Staley at LT and thats that
Do you see the way Staley gets treated when we play the seahawks? Enough said!

Staley wasn't the problem in Seattle. He has had a few bad games this year, but I think you are pointing the blame in the wrong direction. Boone, Jonathan Martin, and the injuries at center are what is killing this line. Not to mention that Iupati can't stay healthy, and has not been the same since his rookie season.
Originally posted by English:
Fire Solari.

And draft some good young players, initially for depth.

Yes! Firing Solari would be a great first step.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Fire Solari.

of course this is the truth,, dump boone and lupati at the very least and find two new starters, i do not care where they come from, it just can not be any worse
not a fan starting two new tackles.

I say let Iupati walk (he is too inconsistent and will draw bigger money else where) and we stick Brandon Thomas (loved this guy in college) in there. Then i say we trade Boone (i question his team work and ability after this season) and place Marcus Martin (He showed some promise that makes me think he will do good at G rather than C) that Guard Spot. Kilgore will stay at Center (He did a relatively good job while manning the middle) and both our tackles stay at their positions and we draft another Lineman (Preferably a Tackle that can play G if needed) in the first 2 rounds to compete with the bunch. Looney stays at backup. BAM!!!
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Just swap Boone and Anthony Davis as many of us have mentioned numerous times. Make Boone the RT and AD the RG. Make Looney the Center and Martin the left guard and Kilgore off the bench reserve. This to me would be the best OLINE combo the 49ers can possibly dish out.

LOL. Can people please stop underestimating Kilgore. I'm don't get what it is about the guy that people seem to dislike but he was playing VERY well before he got injured. He was the only real stable guy on the offensive line. He's not perfect but he was looking pretty damn good overall.

Tom Nalen was a late 7th round pick and ended up being one of the best NFL centers of all time. Not saying that Kilgore is on that same level but he's a very good player in his own right.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
First I would let Iupati walk and I would trade Staley. I would put boone at LT and I would bench or trade ADavis. I would put Thomas the rookie from Clemson at RT. These moves gives us big athletic tackles. Center would be kilgore and the rg would be Marcus Martin he is big enough and athletic enough to be the rg. left guard needs to be Joe looney or if they keep Anthony Davis this could be his position.

Staley has still been the best performer on this entire OL, year in and year out. I see absolutely no reason to move him anywhere, particularly since his contract is pretty damn reasonable for the caliber of lineman he is. Iupati can walk, for the money he'll be likely looking for, he isn't worth it. Dominant run blocker, mediocre pass blocker. At center the 49ers have Kilgore and Marcus Martin competing for the spot. I would put Davis inside at RG, move Boone to RT and have Thomas compete for a spot at guard along with Martin and Looney.

I like it. No reason to shuffle the whole line.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Staley wasn't the problem in Seattle. He has had a few bad games this year, but I think you are pointing the blame in the wrong direction. Boone, Jonathan Martin, and the injuries at center are what is killing this line. Not to mention that Iupati can't stay healthy, and has not been the same since his rookie season.

Disagree on Boone - he has played well the last 2 games.
I just think staley time is over and we can possibly get something for him while we can.

Wow, just wow. Do you understand that Joe Staley had a +4.3 grade against Seattle on Sunday??? That puts him somewhere around +19 for the season! I am some glad you aren't making the decisions for the 49ers! Which freakin' game were you watching? It's pretty obvious you haven't watched many games this year... or just don't understand the position.

Here's my vote: Keep Joe Staley right where he is... the pressure we have been getting all year is right up the gut or on the right side of the O-line. Sure, Staley has had a few whiffs but he IS BY FAR THE BEST OL on the team!!!

As far as Alex Boone goes, I hope SF decides they have absolutely no use for him. Guys.. he was absolutely atrocious all year. I think he's had 1 game where he had a positive grade. The guy had a career year 2 years ago and has declined ever since. There was one play (after re-watching the tape vs. Seattle last night) he went to block #99 and fell right on his face. It's like his legs just give out on him.. he can't move and DEFINITELY does not have the feet like Staley to play tackle. You want to talk about a disaster? Put him on left tackle or right tackle for that matter and watch him get blown up on an island all day! HE SUCKS people! Cut him.

LT = Staley
LG = Iupati? (Good run blocker, poor pass protector - will command too much $$ in offseason) Replace with B. Thomas or a free agent/draft pick
C = Kilgore
RG = Marcus Martin (Alex Boone bye bye.. you suck, are overpaid and have no use for you)
RT = A. Davis (The guy is good.. fought injury bug all year)

I feel our tackles are the strongest of the O-line..we need to replace the middle. I like Kilgore better at center, more athletic. Better at pass protection.

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Its amazing how for years--and i mean YEARS, that we have just set the lineup at left tackle and forget about it. Its nothing short of unbelievable in just how good Staley has been and that he still is a fantastic player.

We have i think taken it for granted and underestimate how much he has meant to this team this decade. He always handles his business. No matter WHO we are getting ready to face opposite him, we dont worry about it.

Staley at LT and thats that
Do you see the way Staley gets treated when we play the seahawks? Enough said!

Staley is a good Tackle, but he's at that point where I'm comfortable in assuming he won't be as good next year as he was this year. He's starting the slide. Sooo, if the 49ers have a realistic solution to Staley's departure via injury or trade, they may want to think about a trade.

Everyone can be traded, as long as the trade makes sense. But that condition needs to be met.

Personally, if they do trade Staley, I hope it's for a proven quantity, not mid round picks. Draft is a crapshoot regardless of the GM's aptitude.
[ Edited by Geeked on Dec 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM ]
Fire Solari.

It would be nice to know more about Solari and his methods. I posted his record from PFF over his career and his lines improved in pass blocking rank every year until this year, so it seems like he does have a positive affect.

This line is very oddly put together. Staley and Kilgore may be the only well rounded guys on the line, although Boone has brought his rank up very well over the past few weeks. Those three are playing both pass and run effectively, while the others are much better run blockers than pass protectors--or bad at both. Very disappointing that both Davis and Iupati are pass blocking only a bit better than the rookie Martin. No wonder the passing game isn't up to speed! And when J Martin plays? Ouch! I have to believe that this line sees themselves as a run line and take more pride in that aspect of blocking.

Personality-wise, Boone has taken over as spokesman for the line and Staley has been much quieter. I'd like to know why.

PFF Rankings 2014

Tackles--of 79
Staley--overall #4, pass 8.4, run 11.4
Davis--overall #52, pass -6.6 , run -.1
J Martin--overall #58, pass -4.4 , run -6.5
Centers--of 40
Kilgore--overall #12, pass -1.2 , run 5.1
M Martin--overall #31, pass -8.4 , run -2.1
Guards--of 80
Iupati--overall #14, pass -8.3, run 16.3
Boone--#21, pass 1.1, run 3.4
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Originally posted by Draftology:
Part of the reason our line has been bad has been because Davis has been out. The guy is a good RT. Boone can barely play guard this year. What makes everyone think he can play tackle? He went undrafted because he has slow feet. Not a great attribute of a tackle.

LT: Staley
LG: Thomas/Veteran to compete
C: Kilgore/Martin
RG: Boone
RT: Davis

Your comment on Boone shows you are just posting what you read rather than what you see. You do know that Boone has been rated among the top 5 guards in the NFL the past month don't you???

There are plenty of great guards in the NFL that cannot play tackle. Tackle is a far more difficult position, especially with regards to pass blocking. Just because he is a highly rated guard. Tackles that can't pass block move to guard.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by Draftology:
Part of the reason our line has been bad has been because Davis has been out. The guy is a good RT. Boone can barely play guard this year. What makes everyone think he can play tackle? He went undrafted because he has slow feet. Not a great attribute of a tackle.

LT: Staley
LG: Thomas/Veteran to compete
C: Kilgore/Martin
RG: Boone
RT: Davis

Boone wasn't drafted because of his alcoholism and duis. I think he missed a bowl game because he was arrested in LA for being drunk and getting a DUI (iirc). Coming out of college he was thought of as a 1st round talent.

Personally I believe we are set at tackle! Anthony Davis when healthy is one of the best. Our problems are at guard, and JMart. What we should of done is start Looney at guard and Boone at RT. But we stayed with JMart for some reason...

Lots of football players with character concerns are drafted every year (i.e. Aaron Hernandez). Teams seem to look past those issues if the talent is there
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It would be nice to know more about Solari and his methods. I posted his record from PFF over his career and his lines improved in pass blocking rank every year until this year, so it seems like he does have a positive affect.

This line is very oddly put together. Staley and Kilgore may be the only well rounded guys on the line, although Boone has brought his rank up very well over the past few weeks. Those three are playing both pass and run effectively, while the others are much better run blockers than pass protectors--or bad at both. Very disappointing that both Davis and Iupati are pass blocking only a bit better than the rookie Martin. No wonder the passing game isn't up to speed! And when J Martin plays? Ouch! I have to believe that this line sees themselves as a run line and take more pride in that aspect of blocking.

Personality-wise, Boone has taken over as spokesman for the line and Staley has been much quieter. I'd like to know why.

PFF Rankings 2014

Tackles--of 79
Staley--overall #4, pass 8.4, run 11.4
Davis--overall #52, pass -6.6 , run -.1
J Martin--overall #58, pass -4.4 , run -6.5
Centers--of 40
Kilgore--overall #12, pass -1.2 , run 5.1
M Martin--overall #31, pass -8.4 , run -2.1
Guards--of 80
Iupati--overall #14, pass -8.3, run 16.3
Boone--#21, pass 1.1, run 3.4

Thing you have to keep in mind about Anthony Davis is how small his sample size is and that he was coming off injury the games he played in. His PFF grades in 2012 and 2013 are much better than this.
Share 49ersWebzone